Star Trek: Strange new worlds

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Strange new worlds

Post by Deledrius »

Frustration wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:14 pm There was a time when I would have argued that it was critically important for each of us to form our own independent opinions. Now I've realized that creators are taking advantage of that attitude to create atrocious art and get people to see it.
While not always the case, I have seen a lot to support this assumption now that so much television is behind paywalls and driven by the mystery-box structure with no standalone episodes making it impossible to review the story as a whole until it's too late.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Deledrius wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:31 pm
Frustration wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:14 pm There was a time when I would have argued that it was critically important for each of us to form our own independent opinions. Now I've realized that creators are taking advantage of that attitude to create atrocious art and get people to see it.
While not always the case, I have seen a lot to support this assumption now that so much television is behind paywalls and driven by the mystery-box structure with no standalone episodes making it impossible to review the story as a whole until it's too late.
Eh, that kind of hits the wall when it becomes possible to watch the whole thing at once very easily when previously you had to watch on a weekly basis or wait for DVD or Video.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Frustration wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:14 pm Watching? I'm not watching! It's part of why I'm so grateful sites like SF Debris exist - so that I can get a good sense of what various programs are like, without my having to actually watch them myself. If they look even reasonably good I'll go watch 'em.

There was a time when I would have argued that it was critically important for each of us to form our own independent opinions. Now I've realized that creators are taking advantage of that attitude to create atrocious art and get people to see it. Review sites let me be selective about what I reward financially, in addition to providing thoughtful analysis and silly humor.
So you rely on other's opinions to form your own opinion of something you haven't watched. Gotcha.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 am
Frustration wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:14 pm Watching? I'm not watching! It's part of why I'm so grateful sites like SF Debris exist - so that I can get a good sense of what various programs are like, without my having to actually watch them myself. If they look even reasonably good I'll go watch 'em.

There was a time when I would have argued that it was critically important for each of us to form our own independent opinions. Now I've realized that creators are taking advantage of that attitude to create atrocious art and get people to see it. Review sites let me be selective about what I reward financially, in addition to providing thoughtful analysis and silly humor.
So you rely on other's opinions to form your own opinion of something you haven't watched. Gotcha.
I mean it is better than them continuing to watch something they loathe just to badmouth it.

That would be crazy.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:38 am
McAvoy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 am

I mean it is better than them continuing to watch something they loathe just to badmouth it.

That would be crazy.
It's a hobby I guess.
I got nothing to say here.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Folks like Frustration doesn’t want to watch SNW because they’re afraid they might actually like it.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

No, I don't want to watch the New Treks because I've seen some of them, and hate everything I've seen.

As long as it took TNG to get its feet and become really good, there were good elements all the way back to the beginning - just mixed with bad stuff. These new Trek shows? Only bad stuff.

I'm much more tolerant of divergence from tradition than many viewers of the older Treks, including thinking that DS9 was great while others complained about it not portraying a paradise. (Oh, it had flaws too, some of which were never addressed, but it also had absolutely wonderful parts.) The new Treks have the name but none of the thoughtfulness, setting assumptions, or quality writing.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

McAvoy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 amSo you rely on other's opinions to form your own opinion of something you haven't watched. Gotcha.
It's more like walking out of a movie five minutes in, then watching and and listening to others' reviews of the movie and finding that my judgment was completely vindicated.

The difference is that walking out of a movie only saves my time, it doesn't deny the makers one bit of my money, while choosing not to watch the new Treks both saves me lots of time and lets me refuse to financially reward the people who made them.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I dunno, it sounds more like watching a trailer and then reading a negative review while ignoring positive reviews.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Worffan101
Captain

Post by Worffan101 »

I mean, I was lukewarm on the trailer for SNW but the premiere was a solid 7 at least.