Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by Madner Kami »

Mabus wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:04 pm Ep. 2 is much better than Ep. 1, but there are still some issues that I find amusing they're still repeating. Vadic's claw ship loaded to the brim with weapons and one super secret weapon, as well as a ship colliding with the main heroes ship, all happening in a colorful nebula outside Federation space that jams all transmissions is pretty much the space battle from ST: Nemesis. I guess they're bringing back Lore to sacrifice himself by blowing up Vadic's ship? I'm surprised they didn't give her ship (perfect) cloaking ability. Why do NuTrek writers love to reference that film, it's one the worst of the Trek films? It's so odd.
Also, Jack is Picard's son, and Worf is Raffi's handler. But, why? Also, why did Worf kill the Ferengi mobster, didn't they need him to find out whoever was behind the theft of the portal gun?
Speaking of, how convenient that Raffi just so happened to met her husband on that disco Blade-Runner-esque planet, just like how her son was on another disco Blade-Runner-esque planet. And she tried again to meet her son? Or her... granddaughter?
*groans*
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Mabus wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:04 pm Ep. 2 is much better than Ep. 1, but there are still some issues that I find amusing they're still repeating. Vadic's claw ship loaded to the brim with weapons and one super secret weapon, as well as a ship colliding with the main heroes ship, all happening in a colorful nebula outside Federation space that jams all transmissions is pretty much the space battle from ST: Nemesis. I guess they're bringing back Lore to sacrifice himself by blowing up Vadic's ship? I'm surprised they didn't give her ship (perfect) cloaking ability. Why do NuTrek writers love to reference that film, it's one the worst of the Trek films? It's so odd.
Also, Jack is Picard's son, and Worf is Raffi's handler. But, why? Also, why did Worf kill the Ferengi mobster, didn't they need him to find out whoever was behind the theft of the portal gun?
Speaking of, how convenient that Raffi just so happened to met her husband on that disco Blade-Runner-esque planet, just like how her son was on another disco Blade-Runner-esque planet. And she tried again to meet her son? Or her... granddaughter?
I get that you shouldn't rush explaining everything, but considering that one issue the previous seasons had was the fact that they didn't bother to do much in the first half, and then just dump everything and the kitchen sink in the last few episodes, they better step up the pacing in the next episodes before the finale, otherwise it will just be the same thing again.
It is also reminiscent of the conflict in the ion storm in wok.

I feel like what they’ve done with fan service and character/situation development is fine. This is about the same pace as the first seasons of daredevil and Jessica jones.
Power laces... alright.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Founders! Oh my yes that is so much cooler than the Conspiracy bugs.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:48 am I’m thinking mu and/or dominion here.
Boom
Power laces... alright.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:59 pmBoom
Permission to strut around like an especially smug peacock, granted.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

stryke wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:42 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:59 pmBoom
Permission to strut around like an especially smug peacock, granted.
We’ll I was mainly thinking about the prime villain. She reminds me of the great link lady. Sort of different so far, but the reveal was really satisfying.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

That seems pretty weak. Did they escape from their planet, or were they leftovers that were never rounded up somehow?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Frustration wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:58 pm That seems pretty weak. Did they escape from their planet, or were they leftovers that were never rounded up somehow?
I’d say it’s the opposite of weak.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Reusing an established baddie that had been definitively defeated? Yeah, that's pretty weak.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Yes, as we know from Germany in 1918 and Russia in 1991, once an adversary is beaten once, they stay beaten forever.