The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:28 am
Madner Kami wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:10 am You're missing the explanation for why the writer's strike is responsible for that.
No, ACTORS strike. My bad, I tend to conflate the two.

They can't promote the movie.
Barbie was released during the strike too. Made over a billion dollars.

That argument is completely invalid.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:43 am Yeah, nah. I'll stick with my opinion that films and TV shows used to be better before all of this garbage.
Maybe

Or maybe you've simply lost the ability to enjoy things as you once did.

And maybe you're desperately trying to externalize the cause of your personal unhappiness so as to avoid the reality that you are ultimately responsible for your own mental health.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:53 am Barbie was released during the strike too. Made over a billion dollars.

So were a lot of other movies that literally aren't the single most popular toy in human history.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So I'm not up enough on anti-woke lore to get the obsession with Disney ticket sales. Is there some apocalyptic prophecy that if they lose money on a film then it's the first step towards the promised land or what?

Because if it's an "own the libs" thing you should really know that we hate Disney too.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:52 pm So I'm not up enough on anti-woke lore to get the obsession with Disney ticket sales. Is there some apocalyptic prophecy that if they lose money on a film then it's the first step towards the promised land or what?

Because if it's an "own the libs" thing you should really know that we hate Disney too.
Captain Marvel is like the white whale of "go woke go broke." After Ghostbusters, everyone assumed that the reviews were tapping into a silent majority only for them to be wildly, hilariously wrong about Captain Marvel. So they really want this to fail.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:55 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:52 pm So I'm not up enough on anti-woke lore to get the obsession with Disney ticket sales. Is there some apocalyptic prophecy that if they lose money on a film then it's the first step towards the promised land or what?

Captain Marvel is like the white whale of "go woke go broke." After Ghostbusters, everyone assumed that the reviews were tapping into a silent majority only for them to be wildly, hilariously wrong about Captain Marvel. So they really want this to fail.
''Captain Marvel'' made a billion dollars because it came out between Infinity War and Endgame AKA the absolute height of the MCU. They could have released that cat stream and made a billion dollars.

The REAL question you need to answer in order to prove me wrong here is ''why did she retain so few fans''? I mean, if that film was ACTUALLY as popular as you claim, then surely people would have been piling back to watch The Marvels just for another chance to see her.

There is a reason why Hugh Jackman is coming back in Deadpool 3 and not Halle Berry.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:08 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:53 am Barbie was released during the strike too. Made over a billion dollars.

So were a lot of other movies that literally aren't the single most popular toy in human history.
And how do you explain Oppenheimer?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:46 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:08 pm

And how do you explain Oppenheimer?
Double feature with Barbie.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:43 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:56 pm Seriously, anti woke crowd if you want a story where men are the heroes and competent and all the other nonsense, go watch an old movie there area few million of them that does that, and accept people want something new.
"Worst opening for an MCU film since the Hulk."

Enjoying your "new" are you?

Ms Marvel. Secret Invasion. Loki s2. All of which have terrible reviews.

A stream that was nothing but cats for hours.

Yeah, nah. I'll stick with my opinion that films and TV shows used to be better before all of this garbage.
The only person who gives Loki season 2 is you, miss marvel seems to got it good, the only example you gave where it was mostly review bad was secret invasion. The only garbage here is your attitude.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:45 pm
CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:55 pm

''Captain Marvel'' made a billion dollars because it came out between Infinity War and Endgame AKA the absolute height of the MCU. They could have released that cat stream and made a billion dollars.
Yeah, you'd been crowing about how Captain Marvel will bomb, I won't take this attempt at an "it doesn't count" retcon seriously.

What I don't understand is why you have such a popcorn kernel shard wedged in your gumline about Captain Marvel in the first place. Why does this movie so offend your sensibilities?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville