What would you change about DS9

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: What would you change about DS9

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:14 pm I always took Odo presenting as male as just part of him defaulting to imitating his adopted dad, like his face.

That said I would like it if Odo were similar to the modern comics version of Loki that the MCU was too cowardly to do, just swapping between gender identities and presentation whenever. They've done trans and nonbinary characters in modern Trek, some genderfluid representation would be nice. Also just for the pun.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just bothered by the fact that the writers took the most vanilla possible approach to this character. I just think that it would have been nice that after the occupation of DS9 or regaining his powers that his mind was opened a little.

I mean, could you imagine actually having this power? Even if you only used it for the most innocent applications possible, imagine the experiences you could have as an actual alien in their native enviroment, or spending your nights in the holosuite as an owl soaring through the sky. The power is absolutely wasted on a guy who spends his off hours in a bucket.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Nobody700 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:18 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:09 pm You know what? I’m gonna say it. I don’t think anything about ds9 should be changed.

https://i.imgflip.com/1mikgo.jpg?a473784
Not even profit and lace?
It’s an effective satire.
..What mirror universe?
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:09 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:09 pm You know what? I’m gonna say it. I don’t think anything about ds9 should be changed.

Yeah, no.

Sure I'm likely being biased on this but as a trans woman this episode can go straight to hell and hit every sharp pointy rock on the way down.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Their relationship which had no rationale explanation as Odo having no sex drive was actually established in the first season with Mrs. Troi.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Winter wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:15 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:09 pm

Yeah, no.

Sure I'm likely being biased on this but as a trans woman this episode can go straight to hell and hit every sharp pointy rock on the way down.
I’m just not really neither a slapstick or cross dressing fan for comedy, but I can see how that’d be annoying.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:17 pm Their relationship which had no rationale explanation as Odo having no sex drive was actually established in the first season with Mrs. Troi.
I don’t think the show ever suggested later that he has a sex drive… and partnerships I believe do transcend sexual proclivities.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 amI don’t think the show ever suggested later that he has a sex drive… and partnerships I believe do transcend sexual proclivities.
I think the show bent over backwards to show Odo sexually attracted to Kira and even giving them a sex scene and that every element of their relationship was implied to be romantic, up to and him killing an entire city of people (albeit that was his cranky future self).

It is far far far away from ace-romantic
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:15 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:19 amI don’t think the show ever suggested later that he has a sex drive… and partnerships I believe do transcend sexual proclivities.
I think the show bent over backwards to show Odo sexually attracted to Kira and even giving them a sex scene and that every element of their relationship was implied to be romantic, up to and him killing an entire city of people (albeit that was his cranky future self).

Sexual and romantic are significantly distinct. There's nothing to suggest that having a romantic interest is inherently sexually. On top of that, aesexual people will have intercourse with their partners.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:30 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:15 am

Sexual and romantic are significantly distinct. There's nothing to suggest that having a romantic interest is inherently sexually. On top of that, aesexual people will have intercourse with their partners.
I think that the evolutionary link between romance, sex and reproduction is a complicated subject tbh. At the end of the day though, being assexual doesn't mean that you cannot feel pleasure. I just think that with someone like Odo, ALL pleasure is open to him and yet he wastes it.

"Hey, uh, Kira? Honey? Do you fancy giving me oo-mox tonight? How about a nice Centauri six barrel?"

(Jadzia would leave Worf in a heartbeat for him lol)

It's kind of funny really, because "to know a thing is to become a thing" isn't actually wrong. It's just that the Founders are such massive bigots they take away the wrong lessons.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:12 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:14 pm I always took Odo presenting as male as just part of him defaulting to imitating his adopted dad, like his face.

That said I would like it if Odo were similar to the modern comics version of Loki that the MCU was too cowardly to do, just swapping between gender identities and presentation whenever. They've done trans and nonbinary characters in modern Trek, some genderfluid representation would be nice. Also just for the pun.
Fair enough. I guess I'm just bothered by the fact that the writers took the most vanilla possible approach to this character. I just think that it would have been nice that after the occupation of DS9 or regaining his powers that his mind was opened a little.

I mean, could you imagine actually having this power? Even if you only used it for the most innocent applications possible, imagine the experiences you could have as an actual alien in their native enviroment, or spending your nights in the holosuite as an owl soaring through the sky. The power is absolutely wasted on a guy who spends his off hours in a bucket.
It was probably a budget issue more than anything. Those effects weren't cheap.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.