Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Mindworm
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

Post by Mindworm »

excalibur wrote:and now Georgiou, who's name confuses me on her backstory more than Micheal Burnham's name. I don't know what specific ethnicity those names are from. I'm assuming French but she speaks with her actress's thick Chinese-Malaysian accent,
Georgiou's an Eastern Orthodox surname and given the form of spelling, specifically Greek. So the good captain/emperess has either a Greek or Byzantine daddy.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Mindworm wrote:
excalibur wrote:and now Georgiou, who's name confuses me on her backstory more than Micheal Burnham's name. I don't know what specific ethnicity those names are from. I'm assuming French but she speaks with her actress's thick Chinese-Malaysian accent,
Georgiou's an Eastern Orthodox surname and given the form of spelling, specifically Greek. So the good captain/emperess has either a Greek or Byzantine daddy.
Interesting. Though, then again we've had Picard, who's a Frenchman portrayed by an Englishman.

I'm also wondering if the Empress is related to Sato since that was the last of the Enterprise mirror canon.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
mercurywatkins
Redshirt

Post by mercurywatkins »

SlackerinDeNile wrote: Also *interstellar.
Good catch ☺
Redshirt

Post by mercurywatkins »

Fixer wrote: And half of those people were actual cannibals.
I suppose Burham too. She did swallow.
Consider this: Burnham kissed the mouth that ate her captain.

This show is friggin sick!

Post by J!! »

excalibur wrote:Lorca with his bowl of Fortune cookies was a bit weird, but sure, it's a backstory.
the cookies foreshadow his belief in destiny. though, notice how he never actually reads the fortunes inside.

also, i like to think that whenever he talks with Saru, he gets hungry & needs a snack.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Mindworm wrote:
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

J!! wrote:
excalibur wrote:Lorca with his bowl of Fortune cookies was a bit weird, but sure, it's a backstory.
the cookies foreshadow his belief in destiny. though, notice how he never actually reads the fortunes inside.

also, i like to think that whenever he talks with Saru, he gets hungry & needs a snack.
Oh yeah, I noticed that and now there's a darker meaning behind how he looks at Saru now.

Also, I find phasers set to vaporized a bit inconsistent. When hitting a person, the basically disappear in a puff of sparks, clothes and all. Then when Cornwall shoots Lorca's fortune cookie tray, it vaporizes all of it in one go. I mean, what happens if you miss when shooting a phaser at max like that? Do chairs and tables disappear? or parts of walls?

Also the ending was a bit meh because since this is a prequel series, we KNOW the good guys will win against the Klingons somehow.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

Agent Vinod wrote:
Mindworm wrote:
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

excalibur wrote:Also the ending was a bit meh because since this is a prequel series, we KNOW the good guys will win against the Klingons somehow.
Which is why a good rule to follow is only do a prequel story if you have something interesting to add. They could have done something within the framework of what we know, but they didn't. The story was about Burnham, not the Klingons, and the nature of the conflict she started and then conveniently ended never mattered.

Lethe was the only time they actually managed to utilize the prequel setting to the advantage of the story and the larger lore.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Also how they were able to unite the Klingons under the threat of global annihilation isn't really that good. You're telling me the Klingons have no way to either disable that 1 padd that can blow up the planet or find the probe?

I know, it can be a historical thing with adding a hundred different titles if you're the emperor, but it felt a bit forced to add Mirror Georgiou with so many extra name add-ons, as cool as they sound