Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Paul Walker
Officer

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - spoilery thoughts?

Post by Paul Walker »

excalibur wrote:I know, it can be a historical thing with adding a hundred different titles if you're the emperor, but it felt a bit forced to add Mirror Georgiou with so many extra name add-ons, as cool as they sound
In the United Kingdom, the Queen is properly introduced as follows:

"Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith."

So I think they are definitely doing it for the sake of lore and history.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Paul Walker wrote:
excalibur wrote:I know, it can be a historical thing with adding a hundred different titles if you're the emperor, but it felt a bit forced to add Mirror Georgiou with so many extra name add-ons, as cool as they sound

"Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith."

I didn't say the titles. Imperial Majesty, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Kronos, Regina Andor. I get those. I've watched enough game of thrones where the extra titles are part of royalty and knowing actual history.

Of course, a quick read into the wiki tells more and it actually makes sense somewhat.

Augustus from Romans which have been used by previous Emperors for majestic, etc

Iaponius is Latin for Japanese surprisingly. Which according to the writer of this episode, claims the mirror Philippa might be descendant of Sato from ST:ENT's mirror canon.

Centaurius for, I assuming Alpha Centuri, the first Terran colony outside of Sol system in the mirror according to the writer.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Paul Walker
Officer

Post by Paul Walker »

excalibur wrote:
Paul Walker wrote:

I didn't say the titles. Imperial Majesty, Mother of the Fatherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Kronos, Regina Andor. I get those. I've watched enough game of thrones where the extra titles are part of royalty and knowing actual history.

Of course, a quick read into the wiki tells more and it actually makes sense somewhat.

Augustus from Romans which have been used by previous Emperors for majestic, etc

Iaponius is Latin for Japanese surprisingly. Which according to the writer of this episode, claims the mirror Philippa might be descendant of Sato from ST:ENT's mirror canon.

Centaurius for, I assuming Alpha Centuri, the first Terran colony outside of Sol system in the mirror according to the writer.
Ah, I apologise, I had mistaken your meaning. I still didn't mind the name add-ons, and with your added research it makes it a little cooler. I was wondering if they were going to tie her in to Empress Sato's reign. And if she's related, it means that Sato was probably far more cunning in the intervening years than she was depicted in Enterprise.
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-uoYGTGkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FSTjoL9cnw

Something I figured should be shared, hopefully before it gets taken down.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

BunBun299 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-uoYGTGkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FSTjoL9cnw

Something I figured should be shared, hopefully before it gets taken down.
Fuck the fuck off, S31.
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yeah, that's a very disappointing direction for season 2 if it turns out to be true. This show was already too obsessed with showcasing the Bad Guys in the first season. We don't need more of that.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

This series is basically them thinking dark and gritty is what the franchise needed when DS9 did enough of that

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

excalibur wrote:This series is basically them thinking dark and gritty is what the franchise needed when DS9 did enough of that
If it sells it gets made.

APlotdevice
Redshirt

Post by APlotdevice »

My thoughts just on the new NCC-1701: love it, love it, love it! It sticks much closer to the classic dimensions compared to the Abrams one, while still looking fresh and modern.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

APlotdevice wrote:My thoughts just on the new NCC-1701: love it, love it, love it! It sticks much closer to the classic dimensions compared to the Abrams one, while still looking fresh and modern.
It was a bit premature to show us the Enterprise of this show and no point really. That ship has nothing to do with The Discovery