Off-topic Star Wars discussion

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Off-topic Star Wars discussion

Post by Worffan101 »

Poe literally helped blow up the Death Star 3 like a month before TLJ...just saying.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 pm She's the leader of the Resistance.

She's the reason there's one.

Just sayin.
The leader of a failed resistance that just had a majority of its forces wiped out (somehow... offscreen... after a major victory in the climax of the previous film) that has been rejected by the governing authority she was presumably fighting for.

Not the best recommendation for her talents.

We care about her because she's Leia, and we have history with her. The film certainly doesn't back it up.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:05 amThe leader of a failed resistance that just had a majority of its forces wiped out (somehow... offscreen... after a major victory in the climax of the previous film) that has been rejected by the governing authority she was presumably fighting for.

We care about her because she's Leia, and we have history with her. The film certainly doesn't back it up.
Generally, when a galactic superpower sends their fleet after a leftist guerilla group, said group will be wiped out.

The New Republic was justly wiped out by the heroic actions of the First Order to liberate the galaxy from the evils of free-will.

So it was just Leia versus their entire military.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 am Generally, when a galactic superpower sends their fleet after a leftist guerilla group, said group will be wiped out.

The New Republic was justly wiped out by the heroic actions of the First Order to liberate the galaxy from the evils of free-will.

Really? I thought the First Order was a right-wing guerilla group (or perhaps an extremely militarist but small state), not a superpower.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

TGLS wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 amReally? I thought the First Order was a right-wing guerilla group (or perhaps an extremely militarist but small state), not a superpower.
This is a very common assumption but it seems to be the problem of JJ Abrams not bothering to explain what the hell the First Order is. Everyone assumes it's the tiny remnant of the Empire leftover after ROTJ but all of the movie keeps hyping it as this impossible to defeat incredibly dangerous threat. The problem is FINN is the only one saying all this and no one takes him seriously.

According to the novelizations and supplement books, the First Order rules a quarter of the galaxy and has a far vaster fleet than the New Republic had at its height (but Starkiller Base got their standing fleet in destroying Hosnian Prime as well).

This information would REALLY have helped the movies.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well, this only makes the New Republic look ludicrously inept. After all, America has a very large force keeping an eye on North Korea and used to have an even larger force keeping an eye on the Soviet Union, but the New Republic not bothering to match this ridiculously grave threat.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 am
Deledrius wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:05 amThe leader of a failed resistance that just had a majority of its forces wiped out (somehow... offscreen... after a major victory in the climax of the previous film) that has been rejected by the governing authority she was presumably fighting for.

Generally, when a galactic superpower sends their fleet after a leftist guerilla group, said group will be wiped out.

They are leftists not just idiots?

They made it official?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:11 am
TGLS wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:14 amReally? I thought the First Order was a right-wing guerilla group (or perhaps an extremely militarist but small state), not a superpower.
This is a very common assumption but it seems to be the problem of JJ Abrams not bothering to explain what the hell the First Order is. Everyone assumes it's the tiny remnant of the Empire leftover after ROTJ but all of the movie keeps hyping it as this impossible to defeat incredibly dangerous threat. The problem is FINN is the only one saying all this and no one takes him seriously.

According to the novelizations and supplement books, the First Order rules a quarter of the galaxy and has a far vaster fleet than the New Republic had at its height (but Starkiller Base got their standing fleet in destroying Hosnian Prime as well).

This information would REALLY have helped the movies.
Yeah, but... HOW did they get this strong? At least we see in the prequels the planning that went into Palpatine's rise. Here we get nothing. The original characterization of them being just a small faction makes sense, this doesn't.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:05 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 pm She's the leader of the Resistance.

She's the reason there's one.

Just sayin.
The leader of a failed resistance that just had a majority of its forces wiped out (somehow... offscreen... after a major victory in the climax of the previous film) that has been rejected by the governing authority she was presumably fighting for.

Exactly my thoughts too. That and the tears of laughter from most in the cinema when she flew like Mary Poppins. Whatever that looked like on paper, it failed hard on screen.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

MrL1992 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 pm
Slash Gallagher wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 pm
TGLS wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 pm They've made 9% over the past year. No grievances there.
ESPN idiocy and Star Wars are still dragging it down.
Proof that its in any way meaningful? The only thing they would care about is Solo's financials. As it outright lost them money.

And when they're likely to soon own even more? I wouldn't be selling my shares (if I had any) anytime soon.
I don't know. How much would the prequels have wrecked the brand and Lucasfilm finances if it was publicly traded under Lucas?
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:45 am I still think it's an interesting point that Holdo has no reason to trust or take Poe into her confidence but we, the audience, act like she does because he's a protagonist.
He is the last high ranking competent officer in a sinking Rebellion.