The Dumbest Thing Eddington Ever Did

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: The Dumbest Thing Eddington Ever Did

Post by Admiral X »

You fixate on Cal saying he wanted revenge and use that as a reason for the Maquis being the bad guys while ignoring everything that motivated them to fight back. This is especially ironic given one of your reasons for supporting the death penalty is for revenge essentially, but even without that I would think it pretty understandable to want revenge against the force that say murdered friends and family, even if you don't agree with it.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The planets that the settlers were on were already in a compromised state as far as being under a federation security blanket. And that was when they chose to settle there. The federation could only do so much as far as continuing to reach out support over a territory so close to Cardassia, and Starfleet was tasked to handle the situation as best as it could.

As much as it sucked to agree to the Cardassians, there seems to be only so much that Starfleet was even able to do in the first place. The colony planets were a giant tug-of-war regiog, in which fighting for the planets itself entailed sustaining a galactic war. As far as the federation was concerned, Cardassia was not willing to let the colonies go.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Bad guys is the wrong word. There are no bad guys on DS9 past some really poor leaders. I just think they became more extreme over time and, as Sisko would put it, "crossed the line." And I don't support it for just revenge. That's putting words in my mouth. More like I think justice can never be 100% separated from either irrationally stupid forgiveness or hate-filled vengeance. It can be very ruthless in some ways. And I tend to lean more towards the "punish the guilty and preserve the innocent" side of the emotional spectrum here.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Which makes it all the more glaring they would not wanna leave, when offered. Why are you so attached to such a horrible place?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRAJYVRSuMg

1:23 - 2:16
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:41 pm Which makes it all the more glaring they would not wanna leave, when offered. Why are you so attached to such a horrible place?
Who cares? They didn't have to if they didn't want to.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

But then they need to accept the consequences of what that means.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:10 pm But then they need to accept the consequences of what that means.
Well duh.
..What mirror universe?
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

This is why I like DS9 since both sides can have good points and neither is necessarily bad.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:10 pm But then they need to accept the consequences of what that means.
They did. The Federation left them to fend for themselves, and then when they were actually successfully defending themselves, the Federation turned around and actively hunted them down.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR