Superman to be cast with a black actor.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Re: Superman to be cast with a black actor.

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:10 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:59 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:52 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:44 pm Gotta say, I have no problem with a POC Clark Kent. I mean, we got a POC Zod in the Krypton-TV-Series, why not a POC-Clark?
Well if you know anything about the demographics in the region where the Els are from then you'd know that that's preposterous.

Inb4 that was from an earlier time when they were all clones and things have changed since then so it's really not much of an inconsistency especially considering that that was like 60 years prior.
Honestly, neither do I know anything about the demographics, nor do I care that much.
They do a black Kal'el, you can whine about it, but it doesn't change the fact.
Curious, when do you have a problem with a POC rendition of any character?
Hm... never?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:24 pm
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:44 pm Gotta say, I have no problem with a POC Clark Kent. I mean, we got a POC Zod in the Krypton-TV-Series, why not a POC-Clark?
Well if you know anything about the demographics in the region where the Els are from then you'd know that that's preposterous.

Inb4 that was from an earlier time when they were all clones and things have changed since then so it's really not much of an inconsistency especially considering that that was like 60 years prior.
Honestly, neither do I know anything about the demographics, nor do I care that much.
Hm... never?
I haven't heard of any news of people complaining about it with regard to Superman. I think I've mostly seen leftist skepticism if anything. Is it causing any type of a stir aside from that?
Power laces... alright.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Hm... never?
I haven't heard of any news of people complaining about it with regard to Superman. I think I've mostly seen leftist skepticism if anything. Is it causing any type of a stir aside from that?
What precisely would be "leftist skepticism" about people bitching and moaning about a black Kal'el, since that's what is happening?
TPTB want did cast a POC as Kal'el and people are loosing their shit? Why? It is a comic-book-movie after all? Just cool your jets, dudes and dudettes?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I believe it when I see a trailer.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:47 pm

Hm... never?
What precisely would be "leftist skepticism" about people bitching and moaning about a black Kal'el, since that's what is happening?
TPTB want did cast a POC as Kal'el and people are loosing their shit? Why? It is a comic-book-movie after all? Just cool your jets, dudes and dudettes?
Actually the speculation I noticed I just checked it out and it's comic fans, not leftists, so nevermind on that.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

If they are going by the comics then it won't even be Kal-El. It would be someone else instead.

I have seen some reactions from the left where they absolutely don't agree with it saying it's too far.
I got nothing to say here.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:08 am
CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:47 pm

Hm... never?
Actually the speculation I noticed I just checked it out and it's comic fans, not leftists, so nevermind on that.
Erm - question, why would the leftists have a problem with Kal'el being a POC? That sounds like a problem of the more right-wing people of the political spectrum? "Oh, he's black now, now I cannot take him seriously" or "OMG, they want to destroy our culture!" is what these idiots would be yelling.
The leftist would never have a problem with that.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:33 amErm - question, why would the leftists have a problem with Kal'el being a POC? That sounds like a problem of the more right-wing people of the political spectrum? "Oh, he's black now, now I cannot take him seriously" or "OMG, they want to destroy our culture!" is what these idiots would be yelling.
The leftist would never have a problem with that.
Triteness. Media progressivism gets effected by the dynamic between more progressive and less progressive measures that tend to create heat of some kind. One of the criticisms I was talking about was complaining about tokenism, with consideration to the fact that it's "sloppy seconds" and also because it effectively shelves original characters. It seemed more like an issue of black progressivism specifically since he cited Batwoman specifically as a black progression measure rather in spite of it being seen as somewhat of a notable trans breakthrough if I'm not mistaken.

And really, like also this isn't anything that new with progressive criticism of commercialized progressive media initiatives?

Anyways here's the link. I might have been mischaracterizing something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6LJVYAXSfM
Power laces... alright.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

What I find hilarious is that a lot of white people are fine with this, and yet I've seen more than a few black people cringing. What interesting times we live in.

As for myself, I think being topical during the civil rights era could work. Just because everyone is tired of woke doesn't mean it can't work in the proper context. Remember the sixties still had segregation and bans on interracial coupling in a few states. I'd like to see a black Superman take that on. And OFC, it's gonna be heavy-handed, but that really belongs in the '60s with the era of cornball cheese much of the entertainment media was. So I have no issues with this. As an alternate-universe race-swap reboot, it works a lot better than other instances.

Now if they go with some other potentially troublesome ideas, like the dubious consent in WW '84, then it could be a problem. Not in the subject of the times, but how it's handled. Out of universe.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Wow this thread is more popular than I thought.