Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by Madner Kami »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:05 am And just like every dipshit discussion of this movie, we are at the,
"Fuck feminism", "fuck this feminism", "this isn't feminisms", "oh yeah what about (other thing with women in it) huh", and the ever popular "They are the one's who invited my bitching about feminism".

It is like internet chud bingo.
Could have something to do with the marketing of the movie being so focused on this being a "feminist masterpiece", when in actuality it's a caricature of Ghostbusters as done by a bunch of incompetent hacks lacking any sort of self-awareness.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:05 am And just like every dipshit discussion of this movie, we are at the,
"Fuck feminism", "fuck this feminism", "this isn't feminisms", "oh yeah what about (other thing with women in it) huh", and the ever popular "They are the one's who invited my bitching about feminism".

It is like internet chud bingo.
There's a reason for that. Namely that it was marketed as a feminist movie.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:46 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 am One problem I have it both thought it was better than the original while nicking ideas from it so comparison is nearly impossible to the original.
Aside from having four people, including one of color, proton packs, ghosts and the movie is named Ghostbusters, there is really nothing in common with each other.

The big issue with the movie isn't the movie itself but having the studio and the director directly insulting fans who are critical of the movie. And to this day, the director still does that when the movie is brought up.
That and it cameos all of the living actors. One of which, Bill Murray, AKA ''the character that almost everyone likes'' was MURDERED by our supposed heroes. Pushed straight out of a window and mocked. I've always wondered how much money they must have dumped on Murray's doorstep to get him to do this given his infamous roadblocking of Ghostbusters 3 whilst Ramis was alive.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It a film about three scientists who discovered that ghosts are real, decided to start up a business to stop them right before losing support of their university. They start I'm a less an ideal location, they managed to find some ghosts and bust them. They have to deal with someone going ok a war path for no good reason, the threat kinda used them for their their plans, and the big bad have them chose the form of the destroyer which ultimately is a big fat white creature which they destroy by destroying it source of power.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

And now we enter into the circle jerk portion of internet chud discussion where everyone keeps assuring each other that their perspectives are completely valid.
"We are responding to the marketing"
The marketing, is not the movie

"It just shits on the original"
No it doesn't.

"It rips off the original"
It is a reboot. Of course it will borrow from the original.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:42 pm And now we enter into the circle jerk portion of internet chud discussion where everyone keeps assuring each other that their perspectives are completely valid.
"We are responding to the marketing"
The marketing, is not the movie

"It just shits on the original"
No it doesn't.

"It rips off the original"
It is a reboot. Of course it will borrow from the original.
None of those are good counterpoint. Basically you just say nuh uh.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:17 pm None of those are good counterpoint. Basically you just say nuh uh.
This isn't a debate. This isn't public policy, were are talking about a sci-fi comedy film from 2016 and the weird collective persecution complex that has defined its critics.

It seems like the only reason anyone brings up this movie is so people can have a collective bitch session about it and then assure each other that they are totally not misogynists for doing so. They complain about commercials, the production, the actors, the effects, the jokes, putting more thought into why they dislike this movie and how it is totally not about hating women than anyone ever asked.

It is fucking weird.

Feel free to hate this movie. But again, as a person who liked it, what I dislike and resent is the endless parade of chuds who want to tell everyone 1) how shit it is and 2) how they are totally not bad people for hating it and 3) how everyone tells them they are anti-women just because they dislike this movie and 4) how that doesn't make sense because they like other things with women and 5) how that totally proves they don't like women and 6) how GB 2016 was marketed and 7) .... and bitch and bitch.

Rarely if ever does anyone even try to give some kind of "let's be positive and see if there is anything I like 5 years after the fact" or "this could have worked it just missed the mark with me". Because, and I cannot stress this enough, the commercials and marketing are not around anymore. Bitching about them is meaningless when talking about whether the movie itself has merit. I don't recall liking or giving a fuck about any commercial for any movie beyond there being clips and maybe a voice over. Stop pretending like you hate a movie because of a half remembered marketing push 5 years ago. It is delusional.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:11 pm This isn't a debate. This isn't public policy, were are talking about a sci-fi comedy film from 2016 and the weird collective persecution complex that has defined its critics.

It seems like the only reason anyone brings up this movie is so people can have a collective bitch session about it and then assure each other that they are totally not misogynists for doing so. They complain about commercials, the production, the actors, the effects, the jokes, putting more thought into why they dislike this movie and how it is totally not about hating women than anyone ever asked.

It is fucking weird.

Feel free to hate this movie. But again, as a person who liked it, what I dislike and resent is the endless parade of chuds who want to tell everyone 1) how shit it is and 2) how they are totally not bad people for hating it and 3) how everyone tells them they are anti-women just because they dislike this movie and 4) how that doesn't make sense because they like other things with women and 5) how that totally proves they don't like women and 6) how GB 2016 was marketed and 7) .... and bitch and bitch.

Rarely if ever does anyone even try to give some kind of "let's be positive and see if there is anything I like 5 years after the fact" or "this could have worked it just missed the mark with me". Because, and I cannot stress this enough, the commercials and marketing are not around anymore. Bitching about them is meaningless when talking about whether the movie itself has merit. I don't recall liking or giving a fuck about any commercial for any movie beyond there being clips and maybe a voice over. Stop pretending like you hate a movie because of a half remembered marketing push 5 years ago. It is delusional.
Marketing can quite definitely stick with you. I do not recall a commercial for this movie. I do recall a commercial for the upcoming movie. Where the teacher comments on the ghost trap being a great replica, and him asking. "What was your name again?" While someone is turning uniforms displaying names. It was an effective hook.
Another great bit of marketing, I think I mentioned on this forum before. I went to see a Star Trek movie in theater. And a teaser came up. A tiny television with the X-wings attacking the Deathstar on it and the sound a bit tinny and quiet. The voice over. "For an entire generation people have been forced to see Star Wars like this. But coming (Date part I can't recall)" X-wing EXPLODES out of the TV and the sound effects and music go full theater surround. "Star Wars is back on the big screen the way it was meant to be seen."
I don't recall the Star Trek movie because I was still goggle eyed at the preview. Commercials can stick with you.
(My father has a favourite commercial as well but it has nothing to do with movies.)
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Okay I got the quote a little wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRgsMKu8oNA
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:12 am
McAvoy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:46 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 am One problem I have it both thought it was better than the original while nicking ideas from it so comparison is nearly impossible to the original.
Aside from having four people, including one of color, proton packs, ghosts and the movie is named Ghostbusters, there is really nothing in common with each other.

The big issue with the movie isn't the movie itself but having the studio and the director directly insulting fans who are critical of the movie. And to this day, the director still does that when the movie is brought up.
That and it cameos all of the living actors. One of which, Bill Murray, AKA ''the character that almost everyone likes'' was MURDERED by our supposed heroes. Pushed straight out of a window and mocked. I've always wondered how much money they must have dumped on Murray's doorstep to get him to do this given his infamous roadblocking of Ghostbusters 3 whilst Ramis was alive.
Bill Murray is playing Walter Peck 2.0 so of course he's mocked as he dies.