Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Discovery - Season 4 (With Spoilers)

Post by Frustration »

Why haven't professional reviewers torn this show a new one? I've heard plenty of private complaints, but that's all.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Frustration wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:54 pm Why haven't professional reviewers torn this show a new one? I've heard plenty of private complaints, but that's all.
Because Star Trek is now just another show.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Frustration wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:54 pm Why haven't professional reviewers torn this show a new one? I've heard plenty of private complaints, but that's all.
Because, frankly, it seems that most sci-fi shows have been forgotten lately (even the actually better ones barely get proper coverage), and most critics will focus on fantasy and superhero shows, because those are the ones that bring in more viewers, meaning more coverage, meaning more money.

As for Discovery, well, I have an impression that when something is just consistently bad, people just give up trying to review it and move on to better things. There is only so much one can waste their time nitpicking every single plot hole and bad writing before you end up with MauLer-sized long reviews, which tends to scare away viewers. Even RedLetterMedia gave up on Discovery and NuTrek.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Man, I really, really wish we had access to the actual viewership numbers of these shows. It would be priceless to know what their ratings actually are.

If lots of people really are consistently watching these shows? Then entertainment, as we have known it, is dead. All the traditional complaints about how the masses will watch garbage will actually be correct.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Frustration wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:32 pm Man, I really, really wish we had access to the actual viewership numbers of these shows. It would be priceless to know what their ratings actually are.

If lots of people really are consistently watching these shows? Then entertainment, as we have known it, is dead. All the traditional complaints about how the masses will watch garbage will actually be correct.
I do love the moon logic of "if no one is watching it that means Paramount knows it's crap and if lots of people are that means they have no taste."

Heads I win, tails you lose.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

No, it's lose-lose. If people aren't watching it then there's hope for entertainment in general, even though Star Trek is a casualty. But if people are, then the bottom has dropped out, and the majority of entertainment products in the future will be incoherent, badly-made garbage with nice effects.

It's sort of like choosing the form of the destructor, only we don't get to choose.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Frustration wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:36 pm No, it's lose-lose. If people aren't watching it then there's hope for entertainment in general, even though Star Trek is a casualty. But if people are, then the bottom has dropped out, and the majority of entertainment products in the future will be incoherent, badly-made garbage with nice effects.

It's sort of like choosing the form of the destructor, only we don't get to choose.
Yeah, but that’s your opinion. Might as well just move on and enjoy something else for yourself. The ongoing existence of this show isn’t hurting you.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Yes, it is! Every time I'm reminded it exists, I experience pain. Pain unlike any other form of pain. Maybe existential? Or aesthetic.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Frustration wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:42 pm Yes, it is! Every time I'm reminded it exists, I experience pain. Pain unlike any other form of pain. Maybe existential? Or aesthetic.
Hm. Maybe you should take some HeadOn.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Frustration wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:32 pm Man, I really, really wish we had access to the actual viewership numbers of these shows. It would be priceless to know what their ratings actually are.

I feel like there's a kind of collective insanity going on in fandom that after a half-dozen spin offs and renewal for four seasons at massive special effects and production costs with no end in sight, there's people who are DESPERATELY hoping its somehow a mammoth failure.