The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by hammerofglass »

That's not a great analogy. The Harry Potter movies are the same story as the books, just told poorly.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:49 am That's not a great analogy. The Harry Potter movies are the same story as the books, just told poorly.
I've actually been working on a idea for how a Harry Potter TV Series would work. My idea was a each season would have three to four feature length episodes (kinda like Sherlock), that way most of the stories could be more faithful to the books and the only changes that would be needed to better fit the media format. Also, just because I'm weird, I would like to bring in cast members from the films playing different characters.

Like Daniel Radcliffe being brought in but instead of playing James Potter he would instead play Sirius Black. This way you have a one-two punch to the gut with his death as you have the already heartbreaking death of a beloved character but for fans of the films you get to basically see Harry Potter himself die that death. Also, I have Tom Felton play Remus Lupin which would give the Draco in Leather Pants fans a nice little bounce to see "Draco" as a good guy. Meta storytelling is fun. Also, it would allow Felton to play against type, (as most of what I've seen him in usually has him playing as a jerk).

Just a fun idea that I think would work. :)
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Maybe run through the first three books in the first season, just to keep the wordcount to episodes consistent.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, that's why you and I are not in charge of the big studios today, Winter.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I wish you'd be a little more open minded about Star Wars
..What mirror universe?
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

I am open minded. I like the Prequels so if that's not being open minded about Star Wars I don't know what is.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

As I've said, I will be when the reboot comes. I am anti-reboot in today's culture, period.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

While I would come to regard Episode 1 as pretty unremarkable as I didn't think it had much of a payoff, I found myself really enjoying Episode 2's payoff with the Jedi battle. For everything people complained about the second one, I thought it was really compelling as a fantasy adventure story even with the pale romantic melodrama. Episode 1 has a similar payoff structure as Empire Strikes Back, though I think ESB worked better with its tragedy.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Plus there's the fact we don't even KNOW what shape the inevitable reboot will take, just that it is literally inevitable. Are they finally going to reboot A New Hope, or is that still decades away? Are they just going to try to rewrite Legends? What?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Also, Episode 1 > Episode 2 times a million. It is bland to all hell.