Reviews of Star Trek: Picard season one

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Reviews of Star Trek: Picard season one

Post by McAvoy »

Artabax wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:24 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 am Didn't any of you ever consider what 7 might have wanted?
No, because they never showed 7 wanting a lover. They showed us Tom and Belanna wanting each other; they showed us O'Brian and Keiko wanting each other; they showed us Picard and Lwaxanna wanting each other. If they had shewn 7 wanting someone, then I would be emotionally invested in whether the other person wanted her back.
The whole Paris and Belanna is one of the few things I like about Voyager. Something that was built up over the seasons. Should have showed the wedding though. They could have made it interesting if they planned it out. Like the silver liquid version having Paris let Belanna pick out the honeymoon. The real Paris though picking out the honeymoon. Kind of a nod saying the fake Paris wasn't truly Paris. Small details.

But then you got Seven and Chakotay thing.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I think Chuck said it succinctly when he said that they already showed their wedding. Those people were no different than the actual characters, so why would you either a.) show a full wedding that should be pretty much no different, or b.) show an edited version of the wedding that's by default undermined by the original scene?
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 pm I think Chuck said it succinctly when he said that they already showed their wedding. Those people were no different than the actual characters, so why would you either a.) show a full wedding that should be pretty much no different, or b.) show an edited version of the wedding that's by default undermined by the original scene?
The biggest complaint about the wedding is the fact the wedding we saw were the fakes. And not even see the wedding for the real ones.

What I suggested to do a different type of wedding but make it different from the fake crew. Make it different to suggest that maybe the fake crew wasn't entirely the same as the original. Maybe not the entire wedding, just the end where they say 'I do' and then go differently before they go on the honeymoon.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah I do agree. They could have just made a different scene. Gotta do it right though, it's a fine line next to disaster.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:09 am Yeah I do agree. They could have just made a different scene. Gotta do it right though, it's a fine line next to disaster.
Exactly. Probably why they didn't bother.

Not having a wedding scene is small on the issues of Voyager.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:48 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:09 am Yeah I do agree. They could have just made a different scene. Gotta do it right though, it's a fine line next to disaster.

Right. Not a very big deal, just a very blatant point of artistic uncertainty.

I think practically it might have to do with needing to fill 42 minutes sufficiently.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:51 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:48 am

Right. Not a very big deal, just a very blatant point of artistic uncertainty.

I think practically it might have to do with needing to fill 42 minutes sufficiently.
Maybe offhand I can't remember the episode the real wedding was supposed to happen time frame wise. All I know Paris and Belanna took out a shuttlecraft and that's about it.

Can't comment what they could cut out without rewatching it.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

Sci-Fi weddings mean someone dies.
I assumed O'Brian /Keiko broke the curse, but Dax /Worf restored the curse. Fake Tom/ fake Bellana reinforced it. Xander/ Anya wedding never happened, but Anya still died to rescue Warren.

Maybe the Writers were too scared to risk it with real Tom /real Bellana.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Artabax wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:05 pm Sci-Fi weddings mean someone dies.
I assumed O'Brian /Keiko broke the curse, but Dax /Worf restored the curse. Fake Tom/ fake Bellana reinforced it. Xander/ Anya wedding never happened, but Anya still died to rescue Warren.

Maybe the Writers were too scared to risk it with real Tom /real Bellana.
Didn't think about that, but I doubt that was the reason why there was no wedding. Probably werent even aware of such a curse.

Delenn and Sheridan got married. Granted Sheridan had a limited time left after getting a 20 year extension on life before dying but that was before the wedding.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

IIRC Seven was certainly shown as wanting a relationship on Voyager. She “practices” one with the Doctor, and then has one with holo-Chakotay, and then the weird thing with real Chakotay. So wanting a relationship has always been part of her character.

It also makes sense that someone who wants a relationship but has little basis to identify a healthy one (and whose first real dating experience was a plank of wood with a face tattoo) would get in some bad relationships.

That’s one of the few things about Picard I didn’t outright dislike. Okay that’s a lie, all the actors were fantastic. It was such well made badness.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform