Superman to be cast with a black actor.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: Superman to be cast with a black actor.

Post by Captain Crimson »

Who knows, maybe Superman could literally bash in some KKK's heads. He has a history of that, yet how fitting if it's a new black Superman. :lol:

And since this takes place in an alternate universe, I'm fine with it, as I've said. I mean, I get that fanboys just don't like change, wouldn't call them bigots, but I would say it's a compromise we have to make. Could be far worse.

What would be cool is this version of Clark Kent is in love with Lois, and a white girl from the civil rights era? Bwabwabwabwa. Yeah, no way they'd let that fly. And yet, can black Superman really challenge corrupt laws that way? On the one hand, I think it IS an unjust law, and you could do a lot with this. Yet a core theme of the Superman mythos is that it's not his province to take the fight to corrupt leaders. He is meant to serve and inspire us, not to solve our problems for us. If he's to fight actual crooked politicians, I can't say this is really Superman. Not without sacrificing something important along the way - like how Batman never murders. Without that what you get is Injustice Superman, which I liked as an alternate universe, but why can't we have Superman be who he is even if he's race-swapped? Some would argue especially then.

That Mr. Abrams is heading this up has me less confident. His movies are overall very meh, at best.