Breaking Down JMS' Tweets on the Upcoming Babylon 5 Reboot

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Breaking Down JMS' Tweets on the Upcoming Babylon 5 Reboot

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Frustration wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 pmIt was the part where they declared they were biologically compatible with the existing hominids that was absurd. That's just... I don't have the words. That *requires* that some powerful entity has been manipulating all of human history and has arranged grossly improbable events according to its own design, because that's more or less impossible. So absurdly unlikely that it acts as proof positive of intelligent action.
I mean they're modern Humans. Of course they're biologically compatible!

But yes, I think a lot of people took the whole finale poorly because Ron Moore was just beginning for something profound to say and misread just how fucking miserable what he was implying was. Making "Eve" into the Mitochondrial Eve means she died at 14 of a horrible miserable existence as a hunter/gatherer.

Make it fucking 10,000 years ago and you're still making a lot of changes but at least you can say they were Atlantis until the volcano wiped them out.

It'd be STUPID but it wouldn't be NONSENSICAL.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

But the whole point of the new series (to the degree that it had a point) was that "God" was trying to make sapient creatures that didn't ultimately destroy themselves, and is experimenting over and over, preserving a small sample of its test subjects and altering them, then letting them develop a civilization to see if they can keep it together.

So they can't just be Atlanteans, or whatever, because they couldn't have bred with and altered all existing populations of humans on this planet. They have to be the ancestors of everyone, because they're the altered population that "God" is testing out. They have to land here in the very distant past, so that all humans on this planet are their descendants.

Ultimately, I blame the Mormons.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Frustration wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:26 pm But the whole point of the new series (to the degree that it had a point) was that "God" was trying to make sapient creatures that didn't ultimately destroy themselves, and is experimenting over and over, preserving a small sample of its test subjects and altering them, then letting them develop a civilization to see if they can keep it together.

So they can't just be Atlanteans, or whatever, because they couldn't have bred with and altered all existing populations of humans on this planet. They have to be the ancestors of everyone, because they're the altered population that "God" is testing out. They have to land here in the very distant past, so that all humans on this planet are their descendants.

This implies that the God of the NuBSG universe is incompetent as fuck tbh. And by which I mean ''Ron Moore is a hack.'' He has this almost deified status among some sci-fi fans that I feel is unearned.

And the irony is that classic BSG also had a race of gods. The difference is that A) it was implied that they weren't actually gods but aliens or future humans, B) it therefore made sense that they weren't perfect and C) Patrick Macnee is a terrific actor and thus he can sell pretty much anything.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah no matter what them colonizing new Earth or our Earth would make no sense. Whether there were no modern humans already there or there were no modern humans that evolved there and the Colonials are the modern human.

That last part is still hard due to all of the Archeological evidence and genetics that says we are of this Earth.

As far abandoning the fleet, honestly how many of those ships could land on the planet. How many of them could even do it but were too damaged or worn out by then.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Frustration wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:26 pm But the whole point of the new series (to the degree that it had a point) was that "God" was trying to make sapient creatures that didn't ultimately destroy themselves, and is experimenting over and over, preserving a small sample of its test subjects and altering them, then letting them develop a civilization to see if they can keep it together.

Is that even a part of it? Because they left God's part pretty damn vague.

I think they should have ended the series at arriving at Earth and seeing a city-planet of some kind.

Then at least we'd still have Dualla.
McAvoy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:33 am Yeah no matter what them colonizing new Earth or our Earth would make no sense. Whether there were no modern humans already there or there were no modern humans that evolved there and the Colonials are the modern human.

That last part is still hard due to all of the Archeological evidence and genetics that says we are of this Earth.

As far abandoning the fleet, honestly how many of those ships could land on the planet. How many of them could even do it but were too damaged or worn out by then.
I remember the interesting idea that we'd find out that "Earth" isn't Earth and that Kobol was the original Earth or a planet that the original Earth colonized.

And that this was just the latest incarnation of humanity like 100,000 years in the future.

Visiting burned out ruined Earth might have played into that.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

That would have been better. Kobol was our Earth but it woukd have shut down the whole search for Earth too early.

Though it wouldn't explain how old Greek/Roman mythology somehow got relevant again.

My theory is that Earth the 13th colony was named after the original Earth. Our Earth colonized Kobol with ships named after the Greek gods.

Perhaps they finally found Earth and they find a recovering Earth from a massive natural disaster that happened thousands of years ago. Can't have two Earths destroy themselves in nuclear war afterall.

Or our Earth is super advanced. And just blows up the Galactica for being part of the Kobol religion. Cue the end credits.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Or do what the original show did and it's modern Earth which is completely unequipped to help them. And the Centurions are coming...
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:53 pm Or do what the original show did and it's modern Earth which is completely unequipped to help them. And the Centurions are coming...
I was talking about how to end the series in season 4. If I were to fix the series from the beginning, they would never find Cylon Earth. It wouldn't be Cylon Earth.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

One of my theories was that the Greek Gods were all AI that were the original Cylons and named after the Olympians.

The 13th God was the Cylon God, who had been exiled from them.

Maybe to play into the lunacy, the Greek God AI created biological humans after exterminating their creators.

Then the humans overthrew them on Kobol.

Some real Mass Effect, "We're just constantly recreating this conflict" stuff.