Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by Frustration »

Okay, let's NOT discuss feminism in the 2016 Ghostbusters.

Let's talk about other aspects. Like: why does defeating the bad guy magically undo all the physical damage done to the city? I can imagine all the possessed people having trouble remembering exactly what happened, or writing off their memories as drug-induced hallucinations, especially if the alternative disturbed them deeply - they wouldn't want to acknowledge the truth. But in the original Ghostbusters, the smashed apartment building and flaming marshmallow goo didn't go away once Gozer was banished. Why are the effects of the climactic battle erased by defeating the villain? (Other than the filmmakers deciding they didn't want the protagonists to be vindicated with evidence...)
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Or how they are clearly so bankrupt for ideas they decided to use goozer as the after credit scene as opposed to someone from the animate show.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

That's not creatively bankrupt, but using something from the animated show would have been a cool idea. Which villain would you suggest?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:44 am That's not creatively bankrupt, but using something from the animated show would have been a cool idea. Which villain would you suggest?
Peoplebusters or Samhain, depending on whether you want to stick with the outlandishly goofy thematics of the the movie or want to go semi-serious.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Samhain's I think he would look good in live action or the boogey man.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Frustration wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:14 pm Okay, let's NOT discuss feminism in the 2016 Ghostbusters.

Let's talk about other aspects. Like: why does defeating the bad guy magically undo all the physical damage done to the city? I can imagine all the possessed people having trouble remembering exactly what happened, or writing off their memories as drug-induced hallucinations, especially if the alternative disturbed them deeply - they wouldn't want to acknowledge the truth. But in the original Ghostbusters, the smashed apartment building and flaming marshmallow goo didn't go away once Gozer was banished. Why are the effects of the climactic battle erased by defeating the villain? (Other than the filmmakers deciding they didn't want the protagonists to be vindicated with evidence...)
You know I would like say that there might be something positive about the movie. And the only thing I can think of being positive is that the female Ghostbusters were not dressed in skintight cleavage baring suits in the end to save the world. But wearing baggy clothes that makes more sense. So there is that.

I got nothing after that.

Comedy is subjective and not everyone will react the same. But imagine waiting decades for a reboot or a sequel to a movie but instead of that movie continuing at least in the themes and tone of the movie they go for a totally different direction. Like the 2009 Star Trek movie being a full comedy.

Perhaps that is the issue with reboots of classic movies. We want pretty much the same movie and nothing else.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I guess I can give a couple elements, I guess Patty and Jill were alright. I love the scene of them messing with new Ghostbusters trap, and they got the opening right.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:39 am I guess I can give a couple elements, I guess Patty and Jill were alright. I love the scene of them messing with new Ghostbusters trap, and they got the opening right.
I remember the opening wasn't that bad. Though it did suffer from the movie making all the men dumb or incompetent.
I got nothing to say here.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:42 am
Frustration wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:14 pm Okay, let's NOT discuss feminism in the 2016 Ghostbusters.

You know I would like say that there might be something positive about the movie. And the only thing I can think of being positive is that the female Ghostbusters were not dressed in skintight cleavage baring suits in the end to save the world. But wearing baggy clothes that makes more sense. So there is that.

I got nothing after that.

Comedy is subjective and not everyone will react the same. But imagine waiting decades for a reboot or a sequel to a movie but instead of that movie continuing at least in the themes and tone of the movie they go for a totally different direction. Like the 2009 Star Trek movie being a full comedy.

Perhaps that is the issue with reboots of classic movies. We want pretty much the same movie and nothing else.
I think you just hit the nail on the head as to why I fear Hollywood making a decades later redo.
My father hates the new Haunting of Hill House. He loves the old black and white version.
I have seen the Brady Bunch, and the Dukes of Hazzard go to the big screen. And what came out had only a passing semblance to the original.
With that track record, many people come out the gate not trusting the studios to give something a chance.

On a positive? Leslie Jones as Patty Tolan, They showed how 'working stiffs' get to know about their jobs and the things related to it. Most people blow that off. But you don't walk into a place and are able to perform magic there. I felt her character was very believable.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

McAvoy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:53 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:39 am I guess I can give a couple elements, I guess Patty and Jill were alright. I love the scene of them messing with new Ghostbusters trap, and they got the opening right.
I remember the opening wasn't that bad. Though it did suffer from the movie making all the men dumb or incompetent.
True, I can forgive it for the opening but what comes next kinda help your point