A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: A Positive Look At: Star Trek Lower Decks

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

let us know what you think
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I foresee this ending at four, maybe five seasons. Not as an insult, that's just generally how far animated features go now. TCW got seven seasons, I know, but that's a unique case. Rebels got four seasons. I foresee the same for the recent Bad Batch. So it won't be long. The next few years. Plenty of other SF to check out till then. Like Farscape and Andromeda.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:27 am I foresee this ending at four, maybe five seasons. Not as an insult, that's just generally how far animated features go now. TCW got seven seasons, I know, but that's a unique case. Rebels got four seasons. I foresee the same for the recent Bad Batch. So it won't be long. The next few years. Plenty of other SF to check out till then. Like Farscape and Andromeda.
You got to remember that Rebels and Clone wars are CGI which while more expensive at first does become cheeper with time, so while a second or two of the bad batch would be more expensive than a season or two of lower decks, five or so seasons of lower deck would end up being more expensive than five season of the bad batch
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:26 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:27 am I foresee this ending at four, maybe five seasons. Not as an insult, that's just generally how far animated features go now. TCW got seven seasons, I know, but that's a unique case. Rebels got four seasons. I foresee the same for the recent Bad Batch. So it won't be long. The next few years. Plenty of other SF to check out till then. Like Farscape and Andromeda.
You got to remember that Rebels and Clone wars are CGI which while more expensive at first does become cheeper with time, so while a second or two of the bad batch would be more expensive than a season or two of lower decks, five or so seasons of lower deck would end up being more expensive than five season of the bad batch
True enough, certainly, but at the same time, I'd be surprised if Lower Decks got more than seven seasons. Even most fan reactions I see are mixed. So my larger point was I'll be able to begin in the next several years, and because I now own a VPN and am sailing the high seas for downloads, I'll keep nabbing each episode as it airs and be all prepped and ready when that time comes. Yarr, me mateys!

It's just a personality thing. I like knowing all the secrets to a show before I begin it. It's why I went for Babylon 5, and the Stargate shows.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:08 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:26 pm
True enough, certainly, but at the same time, I'd be surprised if Lower Decks got more than seven seasons. Even most fan reactions I see are mixed. So my larger point was I'll be able to begin in the next several years, and because I now own a VPN and am sailing the high seas for downloads, I'll keep nabbing each episode as it airs and be all prepped and ready when that time comes. Yarr, me mateys!

It's just a personality thing. I like knowing all the secrets to a show before I begin it. It's why I went for Babylon 5, and the Stargate shows.
Then again streaming like this is relatively new so I don't know what the rules are.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

So, Yuka, do you like it?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The thing about Lower Decks is that DISCO and PICARD have a lot of controversy but were still huge successes among the casual fans. Certainly, due to the fact they're why people sign up for the streaming service and that's money directly to Paramount is why they're financially big successes beyond just showing TV.

But Lower Decks is FAR less controversial among the hardcore nerd and Trekkie and easily the most popular.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:46 pm So, Yuka, do you like it?
Clearly you've forgotten; Yuka's refusing to watch new trek until the series has finished.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, I like to wait until it's done. If Stargate was still running, I wouldn't have dived in. Lower Decks will be completed in the next few years. When's it set, 2380? That's what I hear. Tbh, that's an interesting time period. Only a few years after the Dominion War and Voyager's return.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Alright, but I still say you're missing out. You could be joyfully hyperfixating right now.