Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Frustration
Captain

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Reboot: Does Anyone Actually Remember This?

Post by Frustration »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:53 am I remember the opening wasn't that bad. Though it did suffer from the movie making all the men dumb or incompetent.
Which wouldn't have been so bad if the original film had made all the women dumb and incompetent. With the exception of the minor character of the blonde wearing tight sweaters, none are. Dana Barrett is perfectly reasonable to have trouble coping with the genuinely terrifying things happening in her apartment - for a comedy film, the armchair scene is genuinely terrifying. Actually, for ANY film.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Frustration wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:44 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:53 am I remember the opening wasn't that bad. Though it did suffer from the movie making all the men dumb or incompetent.
Which wouldn't have been so bad if the original film had made all the women dumb and incompetent. With the exception of the minor character of the blonde wearing tight sweaters, none are. Dana Barrett is perfectly reasonable to have trouble coping with the genuinely terrifying things happening in her apartment - for a comedy film, the armchair scene is genuinely terrifying. Actually, for ANY film.
Heck her neighbor was far stupider than her.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Am I the only one who thought the "anti-Irish security fence" line was hilarious?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Frustration wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:44 pm
I will give you that the 2016 film wasn't scary, whereas the original two managed a balance of scares and laughs.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:29 pm Am I the only one who thought the "anti-Irish security fence" line was hilarious?
I found it amusing.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

As ever, RLM nailed it with its Plinkett review of this movie.

''Stop dancing!'' describes most of the problems in a nutshell.

Edit: And pussy fart jokes. Can't forget those. High class humour, 10/10.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:27 pm As ever, RLM nailed it with its Plinkett review of this movie.

From what I understand the director's first thing when he was hired was that he wanted to make everyone dance.

Honestly that didn't bother me. Actually having the big bad guy take over people does fit in with the whole ghost thing.

Like I said before it's slap stick type of comedy and sometimes low brow fart, genital jokes goes with it.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:27 pm As ever, RLM nailed it with its Plinkett review of this movie.

Come on, there was only one queef joke. Nothing wrong with a little spot of blue comedy.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

I saw this turd of a movie for free and I want my money back.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:57 am The reason for that is simple: It isn't any good.

The movie was attacked viciously and brutally by people for misogynist reasons and the fact it wasn't a direct sequel but a remake with a female cast. It received a shit ton of awful attacks and showed the full breadth of just what a toxic sewer fan culture was. It made many of us Ghostbuster fans ashamed and some of us showed up to give it a chance.

And the movie is crap.

I mean, the actresses are fine, but the script is one of the worst ones I've ever seen in my life. The original Ghostbusters worked as both a legitimate supernatural adventure and a comedy in the same way Back to the Future does both as a sci-fi picture. This movie went all comedy. Except it wasn't funny.

At all.
I can't help feel that was encouraged on the film's marketing end because they knew what kind of movie they had on their hands and were desperate to make it into something more than it was to squeeze out more money.

A good example of that now is the latest Halloween movie where Jamie Lee Curtis is talking about the riled up mob as an allusion to Black Lives Matter. The movie was filmed years ago and would be more suited from Hollywood for the Trump era because... you know, the mob is a typical angry mob that goes wild and gets scapegoats killed showing them to be little different than Michael Myers. It's amusing to see the marketing try to appeal to certain people when, if you take what they say at face value, the film is condemning them.
clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:54 am For me, the film sucked because I hate Melissa Mccarthy's style of acting where you just roll the camera and gabble for a bit. Supposedly there was hours of this on the cutting room floor.

Shame really. She's not a bad actor. I really liked her in that film about the author who forged fan letters.
That's not her fault (entirely) but Paul Feig's. I've heard he likes filming that ad libbed style. It can work on a TV sitcom like the ones he's spent most of his career directing, but but it crippled the movie.

Again, this was something they hyped in the marketing.
clearspira wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:33 pm
McAvoy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:20 pm I might be wrong here but Ghostbusters was the first big movie where it was the studio and the director that said more or less that if you don't like this movie you hate women. Being called man babies or incels, living in the basement etc.
Aliens is one of the best selling, most popular, beloved, famous films of all time. This is my default answer to the argument that men hate strong women.

How about: we dislike YOUR strong women you shitty, talentless hacks?
There. Got that out of my system.
It's worth noting that what made Alien (and Aliens) work is what made other male, driving films work. Predator is a great film because of how out of their element the merc squad is. That culminates with the third act where Dutch is stripped of his equipment and completely vulnerable save for his enemies one major weakness which he then uses to turn the tables.

Terminator works in both ways because both protagonists are very much human with Reese being just a naked soldier little better than a homeless guy. Both him and Conner are very aware of how outclassed they are.

I may be different, but I think people resonate with vulnerable protagonists. I at least never found the appeal of the stereotypical 80s action film with the one man army cleaning house, like Commando. It's for the same reason that I don't find the invulnerable butt kicking women who clean house with people far beyond her size in modern film unappealing as well.
Nealithi wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:59 am I have seen the Brady Bunch
It's been AGES since I watched it, but it worked because it effectively mocked the TV show in much the same way the Venture Bros made took the piss out of 60s-70s kids shows.