The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by Deledrius »

mathewgsmith wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:33 am The show is supposedly set 5 years after RotJ. Doesn't line up.
I guess that remains to be seen. We only know for a fact so far that it's post-Empire. Given the slow pace of advancement in the SW universe, it's not unreasonable either way.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Show keeps getting better with each installment, with tight action and writing.

The mystery of this Mandalorian Clan continues to intrigue, and it makes me wonder what's what with Bo-Katan and Sabine's family? They doing okay or did the Empire wipe them out (the thuggish Mandalorian mentions a purge)? Though it is possible these are just zealots, since not even Pre Viszla bothered with the helmet rule.

Seeing a Super Battle Droid and a Dropship Droid in the flashbacks was nice.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That might not stick, though. The "five years after Jedi" thing. I've always said continuity errors are inevitable, and despite how much they initially sneered at the Legends decanonizing by calling that a mess, their new canon will be much the same, because that's a natural part of the creative process. So just don't bank on that. It might change. They might try and subvert expectations again. For good or for bad. And again, Last Jedi locked them into the path they are on now. So I will praise the new canon for that. I wonder what role Mara Jade could have here? Since those in charge all but confirmed she's coming back. Then again, that could have been more damage control. One thing does make me curious. People scream over Jar Jar. And now we got a baby Yoda, and people are fine with that? How amusing. :lol:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@Ordo Also, dude, you're wrong. Slash is right. I'll back him up on this. Legends explored this era. Don't treat it as irrelevant just because it's been shoved to the side and some people in charge and in the fandom act so elitist towards it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

To be fair members of Yoda's species are very rare with before this baby only known members being Yoda and Yaddle so that alone makes this big thing. Besides while that species is mystery it's known that every member of that species is not only force sensitive but also strong in force. Granted we haven't seen that one before this in any of canon stories so we don't know if that is still around during events of sequel trilogy.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Loved Ep3. It's consistently good. So much is being done with action and body language, and still has time to let scenes breathe. The character arc in episode 3 is a very predictable trope, but they've done enough world-building in the first two that I'm still interested in the fallout of this decision. It has context outside of the the immediate act, and irrevocably alters several established relationships and the status quo.

I'm concerned for the life of the scientist, though. His boss isn't going to be happy with him. Hopefully he'll still be useful enough to make it through the "I was at gunpoint" excuse.

I don't know anything about Mandalorians outside of what is in the films, so this show is finally showing me what's so cool about them that people seem to have latched onto with Boba back in the OT. I find it amusingly well-done in that regard. It feels like fan-service done well, by being an exploration that fleshes them out while respecting the sort of appreciation people have for them.

The music is great, too, and I enjoy the concept sketches at the end of each episode.

The mystery element has me intrigued still. We as the audience know more about this fledgling than the Mandalorian does, but even that doesn't answer all the questions. Why does this Imperial Remnant want it? It's a force-user, sure, and probably a powerful one, but I feel there's more to it than just that. Otherwise they wouldn't have wanted it dead or alive. Dead, they just want to eliminate a potential future enemy. Alive, do they want it as an ally? Are they harvesting midichlorians? Is it something unique to the yodoid species?

Also, I was assuming in the first two episodes that Mando was a "racial" slur for Mandalorian, but here it seemed to be used as a name for the protagonist? That doesn't rule out the former, but it's unclear to me. Is this an existing slang? I'm hoping it's not meant to be his name. That would be as silly as naming a character "Una" just because she's a First Officer.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Perhaps the new canon will flesh it out. Lord knows that'd be cool. Yoda's species, I mean. And sure, it's a big deal. I get that. I've already said I like that that the protag is not Boba Fett (because I think Dave is smart enough to see he'd lose huge badass points with the fandom if he were), so count that among the things I think The Mandalorian is doing right. Even so, the point somebody brought up earlier is true. Last Jedi has locked them into that path. They can't escape it. And that's a two-edged sword. It's opened up lots of possibilities. Either good, or bad.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I also worry at how "consistent" the new movie directors will keep to the continuity of The Mandalorian? Given how often they end up being fired. FIVE directors now. Five. That is not a problem for the creative team, of course, but it really paints more of the hypocrisy of those in charge. "Legends is a mess, so we're going to eject it for a new 'official' mess!" Which I've already said is part of the creative process.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

We did see Mandalorians and they culture in both TCW and Rebels. Maybe not as much as I would had wanted but enough to keep me satisfied least for while. There is still lot about them that we don't know as far as canon goes like they culture and history. Then again one of main characters in Rebels was Mandalorian even if she was some what unortodox by being artistic type.

While you might not accept it canon has single continuety opposed to Legends that has several different takes on post-Endor era. Sure most prefer Thrawn Trilogy and stories it led to (even if some of those are utter trash) over let's say Dark Empire and stories that it let to. That is what makes canon consistent compared to Legends by being limited to single continuety instead of several.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:42 am I also worry at how "consistent" the new movie directors will keep to the continuity of The Mandalorian? Given how often they end up being fired. FIVE directors now. Five. That is not a problem for the creative team, of course, but it really paints more of the hypocrisy of those in charge. "Legends is a mess, so we're going to eject it for a new 'official' mess!" Which I've already said is part of the creative process.
I'm kinda hoping that the success of this series causes them to re-evaluate and put some of these folks in charge of the films that are currently without a rudder. This is the best Star Wars I've seen in a long time.
Mecha82 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:05 am We did see Mandalorians and they culture in both TCW and Rebels. Maybe not as much as I would had wanted but enough to keep me satisfied least for while. There is still lot about them that we don't know as far as canon goes like they culture and history. Then again one of main characters in Rebels was Mandalorian even if she was some what unortodox by being artistic type.

While you might not accept it canon has single continuety opposed to Legends that has several different takes on post-Endor era. Sure most prefer Thrawn Trilogy and stories it led to (even if some of those are utter trash) over let's say Dark Empire and stories that it let to. That is what makes canon consistent compared to Legends by being limited to single continuety instead of several.
Like I said, the only canon I follow is the films. I've seen Episodes 1-8, and the two SW Stories. And the Ewok Adventures (but I'd rather forget that bizarre second one -- the first one is a classic). Well, and the Holiday Special, but... anyway. So for me, this is the first I've seen outside of Jango/Boba, and the prequels did nothing to prop up the mythos around Boba Fett. I've never cared about him significantly, but I know he's popular regardless of his limited role, so this show is interesting (especially Episode 3) because it fills in that gap in a way that's consistent with that reputation without just outright being meta-textual with it.