Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by clearspira »

Link8909 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:48 pm Personally I'm really looking forward to all the new Star Trek we are getting, from the interviews I've watched and read Alex Kurtzman and the rest of the creative team that work on these shows are fans and care about what they are doing, even in a recent interview on Space.com Heather Kadin and Alex Kurtzman talked about how important the Star Trek fans are to improving these new series, so I personally think Star Trek is in good hands.
No offence, but if Kurtzman cared about the fans, we wouldn't have gotten two series now that absolutely shits on canon and the Roddenberry ideal.

Look, I want TNG for the modern age, which in my opinion is The Orville. But even if I never get that, STD and PIC are not faithful continuations of the 1966-2005 series. Kurtzman liked the name ''Star Trek'' for its cultural capital and its oven-ready universe, but he didn't like the fanbase that came along with it. He wanted blank slates that he could sell his new generic shows to and a platform for his politics. The only time he began to appease the previous fans was when he realised that his blank slates weren't biting what he was providing and suddenly STD started to look as if it, y'know, actually existed within the same universe as TOS.

Star Wars was the same as is arguably the modern comic book industry. The pursuit of an invisible audience that is ten times the size of the old one and conveniently agrees with all of my views and opinions.
SSJGodGoku
Officer

Post by SSJGodGoku »

Just watched some.

Wow, this show is shitty.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:18 pm
Link8909 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:48 pm Personally I'm really looking forward to all the new Star Trek we are getting, from the interviews I've watched and read Alex Kurtzman and the rest of the creative team that work on these shows are fans and care about what they are doing, even in a recent interview on Space.com Heather Kadin and Alex Kurtzman talked about how important the Star Trek fans are to improving these new series, so I personally think Star Trek is in good hands.
No offence, but if Kurtzman cared about the fans, we wouldn't have gotten two series now that absolutely shits on canon and the Roddenberry ideal.

Look, I want TNG for the modern age, which in my opinion is The Orville. But even if I never get that, STD and PIC are not faithful continuations of the 1966-2005 series. Kurtzman liked the name ''Star Trek'' for its cultural capital and its oven-ready universe, but he didn't like the fanbase that came along with it. He wanted blank slates that he could sell his new generic shows to and a platform for his politics. The only time he began to appease the previous fans was when he realised that his blank slates weren't biting what he was providing and suddenly STD started to look as if it, y'know, actually existed within the same universe as TOS.

Star Wars was the same as is arguably the modern comic book industry. The pursuit of an invisible audience that is ten times the size of the old one and conveniently agrees with all of my views and opinions.
I am still on the fence on whether or not Kurtzman set out originally to create his own Universe seperate from the Primeverse and Abramsverse. But one thing that became clear was the fact Discovery started to throw in Primeverse elements into the series once it became apparent old gaurd fans were not into it.

But it is very apparent they are treating Trek as cash cow to support CBS. They are honestly going to burn out Trek (yet again) but much faster than when it happened the first time.

The first time it was a gradual thing that happened over a decade or longer.

Talks about yet another series to go with Picard and Discovery? Maybe even two more with the Section 31 idea? Unless they have this plan on making them short series like three seasons long each or less and then going to the next adventure.
I got nothing to say here.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i wasn't as happy with the bits i saw, i didn't like how he said its not about star trek but a platform. the problem is while i support black lives matter and other movements for equality the problem is those are this centuries problems not the 23-24ths and while putting a situation like that in is fine im worried we are going to date the show with political issues that may not fit later, plus im worried hes going to start using it to preach and that might ruin the story, which is what i watch for. im just worried that they may have let the series and direction go to their heads, discovery isn't that good yet, its still weak compared to other treks and it needs work, and picard had a strong start and a weak finish i think it needs work as well, all in all i think he needs to work on his story first then worry about political issues put into the story unless it works in that story. you can't just throw in a current event topic, it might not fit with the setting and themes. It could if well done but i haven't been as impressed with kurtzmans work so far so im concerned.

i just don't know were this is going to go.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

chaos42 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:19 am i just don't know were this is going to go.
I do understand this, and I see how easy it is to look at anything in the worst case scenario, to give into cynicism and anger and lash out, and it's why I always keep a positive mindset when anything new from Star Trek is announced, because I know being in this mindset all the time is not good for ones mental health.

And It's also why I don't even bother listening to any of those people on YouTube or Twitter, they take advantage of peoples uncertainty and tell them out of context statements, that speculation and rumors are fact, and just out right lying, all for the sake for riling up people for their own personal gain, they tell you to be afraid, to lash out, to be angry all to time, because while they say it's for a good cause, it's really because they want the attention, and the easiest way they can get it is to prey on other peoples uncertainty.

When I said I personally think Star Trek is in good hands with Alex Kurtzman and the other creative teams, it's not because I've liked every decision and everything they've creative so far, while I do like Star Trek Discovery and Star Trek Picard there are things in both that do need improving upon, and I'm sure Star Trek Lower Decks will need some things ironed out, personally they all have more good in them than bad, but more importantly Alex Kurtzman is willing to be more experimental with Star Trek rather than play it safe, and I don't think it's because he wants to work no something else (if it was reported from those YouTube or Twitter people them it's obviously not true) since from the interviews I've seen he does care about Star Trek, but importantly he cares about the fans and listens to them and tries to improve, the fact that Star Trek Discovery is going in a different direction from it's start and that we are going to be getting the Pike series people were asking for with Star Trek Strange New Worlds is proof of that, and I'd rather believe the man whos day job is to work on all these new Star Trek series and manage the franchise, than someone who isn't a professional journalist, who has no experience in film, television, or the industry for both beyond what anyone else can look up on Wikipedia, and to be blunt sound more like the mad ramblings of someone writing fan-fiction of real life.

But importantly, I wasn't asking people to change their minds about Alex Kurtzman, I was simply putting forward my own opinion about him while asking to simple keep an open and positive mindset about the future of Star Trek while avoiding the negative aspects like lashing out or cynicism, for example while I've said I'm not interested in The Orville I don't go on a hate-filled crusade against it, I recognize the hard work and talent that goes into it, and know there's an audience that enjoys it, so who am I to come in and tell them or the creators that their wrong or stupid for liking or making a series that just wasn't for me, instead I wish The Orville well and move on.

Because at the moment it looks like we are repeating the same arguments made over three decades ago with Deep Space Nine.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

possible ds9 did prove people wrong and its possible we could get a repeat, i hope so, i just hope that there are some more people to help balance out the director because i worry we are going to get another star wars prequel issue, lucas is a good idea man but he needs others to help him sort out which ones work and which do not. one of the biggest flaws with the prequels was lucas had no one to tell him when something didn't work and he got unfettered freedom to do what ever he wanted. for example i worry some times that an idea i have is just me making a marry sue character and i don't want to create something like that because its been done to death. we have all see those before its one reason lower decks i will at least try it because these people are flawed and have failings that make them more interesting
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

chaos42 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:07 pm possible ds9 did prove people wrong and its possible we could get a repeat, i hope so, i just hope that there are some more people to help balance out the director because i worry we are going to get another star wars prequel issue, lucas is a good idea man but he needs others to help him sort out which ones work and which do not. one of the biggest flaws with the prequels was lucas had no one to tell him when something didn't work and he got unfettered freedom to do what ever he wanted. for example i worry some times that an idea i have is just me making a marry sue character and i don't want to create something like that because its been done to death. we have all see those before its one reason lower decks i will at least try it because these people are flawed and have failings that make them more interesting
Thats understandable and fair, and I do see the importance of having second opinions when creating something, aside from Rick and Morty and a few clips of Solar Opposites I haven't see much of Mike McMahan's work, but he's a talented man and a long time Star Trek fan so I think the series is going to be good, I also really liked the Short Trek "The Escape Artist" which he wrote so this isn't his first time to Trek, and while I do see the compartments to Rick and Morty, I think there is going to be differences between the two much like how Deep Space Nine isn't just Babylon 5.

Ultimately it's a wait and see game until Lower Decks comes out, and I think as long as we give calm and respectful feedback both of what we like and dislike, the series has the chance to continue and get better, debate is essential and I'd never want everyone to blindly agree with me, but I think we can all be nice about how we do it much like how you did in your post.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

thank you i always like to engage in proper discussion rather than having people just saying the same thing over and over again.

Though i have been thinking about something and im wondering if they might try it in this series.

Riker got offer the post of captain what if he had taken it, or what if picard got promoted up to admiral during the series riker became captain and data became first officer -we saw worf and geordi and even troi get promoted during the series, what if in lower decks we see crew transferred in and out senior officers replaced, ect. though it will depend how they do it, i have a theory that the crew of this ship is the wore crew in star fleet and its made up of officers who they have to put some where. so i kinda want it to turn out the captain and the rest of the bridge crew are people you don't want to serve with because there is a high chance of mortality on this ship.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

chaos42 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:31 am thank you i always like to engage in proper discussion rather than having people just saying the same thing over and over again.

Though i have been thinking about something and im wondering if they might try it in this series.

Riker got offer the post of captain what if he had taken it, or what if picard got promoted up to admiral during the series riker became captain and data became first officer -we saw worf and geordi and even troi get promoted during the series, what if in lower decks we see crew transferred in and out senior officers replaced, ect. though it will depend how they do it, i have a theory that the crew of this ship is the wore crew in star fleet and its made up of officers who they have to put some where. so i kinda want it to turn out the captain and the rest of the bridge crew are people you don't want to serve with because there is a high chance of mortality on this ship.
That sounds great, I would love an episode where they admit yeah having the ship therapist be incharge of diplomacy and military training if something happen to the captain and first mate is stupid.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

well like i said id like to see them transfer in and out crew, maybe those who survived but are wounded or scared, and there is like the people who have been there for a while all betting which ones going to end up killed and the mc being the ones scared since they are still ensigns and the ensigns seem to die more often.

Ok i don't mind people moving up the ranks but making troi a lt commander and making her then get promoted out ranking data was stupid to say the least. plus data has more than earned being a commander. he should have been promoted a while ago. personally i would have had him promoted back during the klingon civil war considering he saved the day.