The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by Winter »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 am Besides with post-Endor Legends (that you seem to want) adaptions there are problems. For one those use same characters as OT with them being too old to roles and one being dead needing there being replacement actors to be cast in roles as well as what story to pick because in Legends same era has so many different versions. Then part of Legends fans would be angry that they favorite version of events isn't one adapted because there is no way they can make everyone happy.
Of course you can't please everyone. If there was some universal method to make everyone happy Everyone would do it. As for a Legends adaptation, it Is coming.

Here's how things are most likely going to go. It will start with an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy (it is one of the most popular) the project will be helmed by someone who is VERY passionate about this project and has a lot of love for the Legends and has been fighting to get this Trilogy full made in one who go.

The Executives have been putting this project on hold because they don't see any real profit in it because it's not as well known, the brand just isn't as popular as it use to be or because they just don't think it will work because it's taking to much risks. They're not entirely wrong on any of these points and, in the end, storytelling is a business and you HAVE to make sure that the Millions of Dollars that are being put into this film is going to come back in a big way.

However, one of the higher-ups does see the potential of this project either because of the passion and confidence of the person pitching it and manages to convince the others to give it a try. The first film gets made and then, if everyone has done their job right and have recaptured the magic of the Original work then the ONLY complaint from fans will be the fact that the new cast playing the old favorites but other then that it will be seen as a huge hit and then there's the announcement for more Legends stories to be made as part of an ongoing movie deal or TV series like Clone Wars.

Trust me, this is going to happen as it's Already happened. The Original Star Wars Trilogy, Lord of the Rings, The Wrath of Khan, Hell just go and check out Chuck's movie page about how many of the movies where made and you'll see that many of them match what I just said. I'm not talking about the hypothetical It's Going To Happen. It ALWAYS Happens.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I don't just see it to be realistically possible anymore unless they find really good replacements for those aged actors as well as to Carrie Fisher. Reality doesn't care about what you dream to happen nor you don't actually matter in big picture.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:20 pm I don't just see it to be realistically possible anymore unless they find really good replacements for those aged actors as well as to Carrie Fisher. Reality doesn't care about what you dream to happen nor you don't actually matter in big picture.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. This I did” T. E. Lawrence
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Winter wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 pm Here's how things are most likely going to go. It will start with an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy (it is one of the most popular) the project will be helmed by someone who is VERY passionate about this project and has a lot of love for the Legends and has been fighting to get this Trilogy full made in one who go.

Trust me, this is going to happen as it's Already happened.
You know what? I'll put money on it not happening. $50 bet on it not happening in the next ten years. I'll give you 5:1 odds, so you'll only need to put $10 against it. It's an easy $50 if you're so sure, no?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

TGLS wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:32 pm
Winter wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 pm Here's how things are most likely going to go. It will start with an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy (it is one of the most popular) the project will be helmed by someone who is VERY passionate about this project and has a lot of love for the Legends and has been fighting to get this Trilogy full made in one who go.

You know what? I'll put money on it not happening. $50 bet on it not happening in the next ten years. I'll give you 5:1 odds, so you'll only need to put $10 against it. It's an easy $50 if you're so sure, no?
Depends on how well Rise of Skywalker does. If it's an overall success but, like most Abrams' films, fades out of popular consciousness then it will likely be about 10 or 20 years, if it bombs, both critically and commercially then I'd give it about 5 years. Still, no bet. I'm obsessive compulsive and I therefore avoid three things, drinking, smocking and gambling. Sorry.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Winter wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:41 pm
TGLS wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Depends on how well Rise of Skywalker does. If it's an overall success but, like most Abrams' films, fades out of popular consciousness then it will likely be about 10 or 20 years, if it bombs, both critically and commercially then I'd give it about 5 years. Still, no bet. I'm obsessive compulsive and I therefore avoid three things, drinking, smocking and gambling. Sorry.
A mainline Star Wars film will NEVER bomb commercially - even I will admit that and I hate this trilogy's guts. I would argue that among millions of fans let down by 7 and 8 it has already bombed critically, it is the inbetween fans who have yet to make up their minds that will make or break what comes next.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:20 pm I don't just see it to be realistically possible anymore unless they find really good replacements for those aged actors as well as to Carrie Fisher. Reality doesn't care about what you dream to happen nor you don't actually matter in big picture.
The best CGI is now bordering on perfect. Age or death is no longer an obstacle to getting an actor to star in your film.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

clearspira wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:32 pm A mainline Star Wars film will NEVER bomb commercially - even I will admit that and I hate this trilogy's guts. I would argue that among millions of fans let down by 7 and 8 it has already bombed critically, it is the inbetween fans who have yet to make up their minds that will make or break what comes next.
Well, looking at just the facts, Solo did bomb at the box office, The Last Jedi had a 67% drop in it's second weekend in the states and 92% drop in its second weekend in China and was, in fact, so poorly received in China that all follow up Star Wars movies that follow Have to have the title of Star Wars removed. So, in terms of bombing commercially is, sad to say, entirely possible.

However, another factor to consider is how well the film does. If it does as well as the Executives think then it will be about 10 or 20 years like I said, if it does well but not as well as the Executives hope then it will be about 5 or so years.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

Winter wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 am Besides with post-Endor Legends (that you seem to want) adaptions there are problems. For one those use same characters as OT with them being too old to roles and one being dead needing there being replacement actors to be cast in roles as well as what story to pick because in Legends same era has so many different versions. Then part of Legends fans would be angry that they favorite version of events isn't one adapted because there is no way they can make everyone happy.
Of course you can't please everyone. If there was some universal method to make everyone happy Everyone would do it. As for a Legends adaptation, it Is coming.

Here's how things are most likely going to go. It will start with an adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy (it is one of the most popular) the project will be helmed by someone who is VERY passionate about this project and has a lot of love for the Legends and has been fighting to get this Trilogy full made in one who go.

The Executives have been putting this project on hold because they don't see any real profit in it because it's not as well known, the brand just isn't as popular as it use to be or because they just don't think it will work because it's taking to much risks. They're not entirely wrong on any of these points and, in the end, storytelling is a business and you HAVE to make sure that the Millions of Dollars that are being put into this film is going to come back in a big way.

However, one of the higher-ups does see the potential of this project either because of the passion and confidence of the person pitching it and manages to convince the others to give it a try. The first film gets made and then, if everyone has done their job right and have recaptured the magic of the Original work then the ONLY complaint from fans will be the fact that the new cast playing the old favorites but other then that it will be seen as a huge hit and then there's the announcement for more Legends stories to be made as part of an ongoing movie deal or TV series like Clone Wars.

Trust me, this is going to happen as it's Already happened. The Original Star Wars Trilogy, Lord of the Rings, The Wrath of Khan, Hell just go and check out Chuck's movie page about how many of the movies where made and you'll see that many of them match what I just said. I'm not talking about the hypothetical It's Going To Happen. It ALWAYS Happens.
And where did you learn all that from? Some serious source? Or did the Whills tell you?

Just be happy that you dreams never come true. That way, all those precious Legends stories will remain pristine in your head and not spoiled by some floosy who was only pretending to be very passionate about that project, but who in fact was just another grubby Hollywood money grabber who hates the fans and wants to destroy Star Wars...
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Actarus wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:28 pm And where did you learn all that from? Some serious source? Or did the Whills tell you?

Just be happy that you dreams never come true. That way, all those precious Legends stories will remain pristine in your head and not spoiled by some floosy who was only pretending to be very passionate about that project, but who in fact was just another grubby Hollywood money grabber who hates the fans and wants to destroy Star Wars...
History and experience tells me that it will happen as this always happens. As for my "Precious" Legends stories remaining pristine, Legacy of the Force, several stories written by Karen Traviss, among others are stories I really could have done without and may of which I find to be MUCH worse then anything in the Disney Era. And as for the person taking over hating fans, yeah, that could happen but most people are usually pretty reasonable & nice and most people in Hollywood just want to tell a good story.

When Legends is adapted odds are good it's going to be made by someone who cares enough about the stories they're adapting to due them justice. Is it possible it will be done by someone who doesn't care, yes. Just like it's possible for someone who honestly loves the series to come around and make a story that's every bit as good as the Original Trilogy.

Just look at DC's New 52 and DC Rebirth. The former came into being when the Pre-Flashpoint Continuity was deemed as no longer viable and was rebooted into the New 52 which was meant to draw in new readers and increase sales. And it worked, for a little bit, Sure there were many fans who wanted the old DCU to return but as far as DC was concern the New 52 was the only way to go and even made it so the Animated and Live Action films would emulate the comics style and atmosphere to get the point across that this was the new normal and fans needed to get use to it.

But then several stories were made that were... not as successful as DC hoped but they stuck to their guns and insisted that the old DCU was gone for good and was NEVER coming back. Even when the New 52 was ending the New 52 Universe, continuity and tone was going to continue but before that, something happened.

DC's big Crisis Crossover was coming out and, as per usual for major crossovers, tie-ins were created but these were made more as a way to wrap up, or fix, story lines from the Original DC Universe and the tie-ins, were beloved by fans and critics alike. The tie-ins were, infact, so well received that DC actually gave the one revolving around Lois and Clark and sequel that was like wised so well received that, even though it was likely only suppose to be a one and done deal, DC actually started making arrangements to give the Original Lois and Clark the spotlight in the Original Superman story and began work on a story to kill off the New 52 Superman despite his own comics implying that he was going to be around for a while longer.

Enter Rebirth where it's revealed that the New 52 is NOT a reboot but is, in fact, the original DC Universe that's just been altered a bit due to an outside influence. And then DC began reworking the New 52 to be the Original DCU, with characters like Ted Kord, Jaime Reyes, Superman and so on to be more like their old selves again and it was done out of sheer passion of love for DC.

And then Heroes in Crisis came along and F#(ked all that up because no one learns from history. But DC will find its way back cause it always does. Just like Legends will return because someone, at some point, is going to want to return to that part of the Star Wars Universe and when it does, history will repeat. Will be in what many consider another new golden age before someone screws something up and will get into another rut before someone comes along with another great story and will do this all again.

This is the dance we've been in for the past few Centuries in storytelling. Its going. To happen. Again.