Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:03 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:21 am Yeah, i think that other than the timeless child itself the rest of that season finale was pretty good.
Isn't that like saying, ''apart from the gunshot wound she's pretty good!''
The show in general struggles with season finales. Remember Tinkerbell Doctor? Or that Whispermen bullshit with the Great Intelligence?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:57 am Oh, I concur.
Plus, concerning the allegedly "abismal" stories, I'd go this far and say: "The people rambling about the bad stories wanted the show to fail." It's the 'sour grape"-thing, if you ask me.
Some of them just were unhappy, that the Doctor now was a woman - so they found anything, anything that they could choose to "not like".

I came into the fandom with Chris Eccleston and while the saying goes, that "Your first doctor will forever be your doctor" I couldn't agree. I mean, 9ths storys were okay - but my favourite Doctor was and always will be Matt Smiths 11th. But I watched some of the classics, liked Colin Baker more than Tom Baker, thought the Trick, that Toms Doctor played on Leela was a bit too annoying, and you don't annoy the woman with the short temper and the knife, no matter how much teeth you show, while smiling.

But anyway, my favourite Doctor was Matt Smith and when he left and Capaldi took over, I liked him, but gotta say, one of my least favourite episodes of his run would be the one, where he spent lots of years in the Confession Dial and run through it, talking to himself.
I liked the follow up to that episode, though.

And then I bought the first run of Jodie Whitaker and from the buzz around the Internet, I was expecting some true atrocious storytelling and - nothing.
The episodes were quite entertaining, I liked the Doctor, I liked the companions and then season 1 of the female Doctor was done.
Favourite Episode: Rosa

Code: Select all

http://twitter.com/CaptainCalvinCa/status/1125469687960276992
Then the buzz about "How bad the 13th Doctors run would be" got louder, I saw that people stopped watching the show, and thought "Oh my gosh, is this it? Is this the big stinker?"
No - still nothing.

Code: Select all

http://twitter.com/CaptainCalvinCa/status/1323216891008241664
Not even the "timeless child" was something, that was so annoying to me - quite the contrary, I thought, it was quite an interesting story.
Indeed, I wouldn't say the last two seasons of Doctor Who are bad either, for me personally I just found many of the episodes dull and unrememberable, but there are definitely great elements to the 13th Doctors run, the Doctor herself, the family dynamic with the companions, I personally loved Sacha Dhawan interpretation of the Master that ramps up the unhinged psychoticness to 11, and episodes like "Rosa" are great, even "The Timeless Children" with it's reveal is an interesting one as it is bringing back the Cartmel Masterplan story from way back.

But like I said, this is only how I personally feel, if others are enjoying and getting something from the new episodes, that's great, and my words aren't to say they should give up, but to say how they can improve and be better.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:49 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:03 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:21 am Yeah, i think that other than the timeless child itself the rest of that season finale was pretty good.
Isn't that like saying, ''apart from the gunshot wound she's pretty good!''
The show in general struggles with season finales. Remember Tinkerbell Doctor? Or that Whispermen bullshit with the Great Intelligence?
Don't forget the failing that is the hybrid.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Since a few people on here might not have seen Jodie in stuff outside of Doctor who here I found these:

youtu.be/8KvdRtU0NQ0

youtu.be/lY3jSVf4PYY
Last edited by sayla0079 on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

That actually a good argument with facts behind it.