Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Thebestoftherest »

chaos42 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:19 pm well like i said id like to see them transfer in and out crew, maybe those who survived but are wounded or scared, and there is like the people who have been there for a while all betting which ones going to end up killed and the mc being the ones scared since they are still ensigns and the ensigns seem to die more often.

Ok i don't mind people moving up the ranks but making troi a lt commander and making her then get promoted out ranking data was stupid to say the least. plus data has more than earned being a commander. he should have been promoted a while ago. personally i would have had him promoted back during the klingon civil war considering he saved the day.
I would love if they a knowledge how past show act like people not on the bridge all dya don't really matter.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:56 pm
chaos42 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:31 am thank you i always like to engage in proper discussion rather than having people just saying the same thing over and over again.

Though i have been thinking about something and im wondering if they might try it in this series.

Riker got offer the post of captain what if he had taken it, or what if picard got promoted up to admiral during the series riker became captain and data became first officer -we saw worf and geordi and even troi get promoted during the series, what if in lower decks we see crew transferred in and out senior officers replaced, ect. though it will depend how they do it, i have a theory that the crew of this ship is the wore crew in star fleet and its made up of officers who they have to put some where. so i kinda want it to turn out the captain and the rest of the bridge crew are people you don't want to serve with because there is a high chance of mortality on this ship.
That sounds great, I would love an episode where they admit yeah having the ship therapist be incharge of diplomacy and military training if something happen to the captain and first mate is stupid.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:34 pm
chaos42 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:19 pm well like i said id like to see them transfer in and out crew, maybe those who survived but are wounded or scared, and there is like the people who have been there for a while all betting which ones going to end up killed and the mc being the ones scared since they are still ensigns and the ensigns seem to die more often.

Ok i don't mind people moving up the ranks but making troi a lt commander and making her then get promoted out ranking data was stupid to say the least. plus data has more than earned being a commander. he should have been promoted a while ago. personally i would have had him promoted back during the klingon civil war considering he saved the day.
I would love if they a knowledge how past show act like people not on the bridge all dya don't really matter.
Yeah, Data really deserved a promotion after “Redemption” or even “The Best of Both Worlds”, I don’t mind the fact that Troi got a promotion, it’s the fact that she got promoted long before Data did that makes me tilt my head, especially after all the years of service and accomplishments that Data achieved.

But yeah, I would love to see some of these new series tackle change and not have a status quo for too long, whether it’s a character being promoted or any other form of change, I really like what happened after the time skip in the Star Trek New Frontier novels, and with what Chuck talked about in his “Second Chances” review, I really wish that William Riker did get his own ship and then Data gets promoted to First Officer and then Thomas Riker is brought on as Operations Officer.

Also, while I don’t think Starfleet would treat the crew of the USS Cerritos or other ships like her as expendable, but I do see them assigning officers like those on the USS Cerritos to the least important ships so for lack of a better term, do the least damage, or that the more promising officers get assigned to the more important front line ships and it’s a matter of filling ships like the USS Cerritos with warm bodies regardless of quality.

I also wonder that after the Dominion War there was a hard push for recruitment in Starfleet, I know during the war we saw Nog get a field commission and made an Ensign so I imagen other Cadets getting field commissions and even officers getting promotions to get them in needed positions, but considering the immeasurable loss of life during the war and the need to rebuild afterwards, I can see Starfleet cranking out officers to fill the ships regardless of them being ready, a quantity over quality mentality.

Star Trek Online did something like this to explain why the player character was given command of a ship and promoted faster than Harry Kim, this is from the last part of the Path to 2409:
wrote: And a Starfleet committee determined that because of retirements, deaths and the increasing demands of the Klingon war, Starfleet faced a severe shortage of qualified command personnel.

The committee recommended revising rules on away teams to encourage more officers to seek command positions, increasing enrollment at Starfleet Academy and revising the command structure to allow for the best use of experienced personnel.

"I think we're past the point where you need to spend twenty years as an officer before you can be considered for command," said committee chairman Admiral Jorel Quinn. "We need to promote exceptional officers quickly. We need our captains leading away teams. Starfleet needs to look at our whole command structure and do what works now, not what worked 30 years ago."
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

ya the getting warm bodies to fill the ships crews out is a question and i would say that its not that they put all the low test score and bottom of the barrel recruits on the ship to keep them from doing less damage, its that if the ship gets destroyed or the crew killed because the captain is terrible, they haven't lost the best that star fleet has or the ones with potential. might also be why the ships falling apart, its at the bottom of the quartermasters requisitions list because they expect the ship to explode or be destroyed and they don't want to wast the parts. which is how i see it, was actually an idea i had for a fiction i worked up a premise for. with a crew that was kinda of crazy as the senior staffs were like the first season cast of tng with their head up their asses but they were screwing up and the lower decks type characters were keeping everything going. and getting stuff done but getting little credit.

actually that might be an interesting thing what if the lower decks people are doing tons of hard work actually making the mission succeed but the bridge crew gets all the credit rewards and promotions, and they are stuck on the bottom. they could even work it into a back story. like that girl who is a devil may care attitude what if they did something were she was a by the book officer and did her job well but never got promoted or when she did she kept getting demoted for things that were more the senior staffs fault so the reason she doesn't care and seems to drink like a fish and acts the way she does is because she is jaded and sick of dealing with not getting fair credit or promoted with out being demoted soon after. and thats evolved into her current self destructive behavior so that its no longer just the system keeping her down but her own issues
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I also feel like the episode where she got that promotion show she not ready. Her promotion feels more like she got it due to mommys money, and got it before Data because of prejudice against androids.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

possible, plus if its just a test to see if you will order people to do something that will get them killed data has kind of already shown he can. in the episode with the blockade during the klingon civil war told them to reactive the weapons and it would flood several decks with radiation, he show that while likes would be endangered his actions were what was called for of a command officer. plus consider that his computing power allows him to do multiple projections, he would be able to use the least number of lives to save the ship in most situations.

also its the bridge officers test or something like that so that you can be a bridge officer so its possible data has already taken it and the fact that data took it and isn't a commander by now and troy is just make me scratch my head.

plus if it was up to me in nemisis i would have had data live and he would be the new first officer of the enterprise its the logical development. by that point in the series data has reach the point were while he is not ever going to be completely human he is at the point that he is in every way as capable if not more capable as a human or other species of commanding a ship and if there had been more stories i would have had picard eventually be promoted to admiral but keep the enterprise as his flag ship for the fleet and data take over as captain, so day to day operations and such are datas job and picard run his portion of the fleet out of the enterprise with it being used as his command ship for larger operations. but thats just how i would have run things.

overall i think that having the cast of characters rotate might be a good idea for the officers and other members of the crew, as it would be a great way for new talents to have maybe a season or 2 on the show then they could go and do something else. make star fleet look like the organization it should be in these situations.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

chaos42 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 pm ya the getting warm bodies to fill the ships crews out is a question and i would say that its not that they put all the low test score and bottom of the barrel recruits on the ship to keep them from doing less damage, its that if the ship gets destroyed or the crew killed because the captain is terrible, they haven't lost the best that star fleet has or the ones with potential. might also be why the ships falling apart, its at the bottom of the quartermasters requisitions list because they expect the ship to explode or be destroyed and they don't want to wast the parts. which is how i see it, was actually an idea i had for a fiction i worked up a premise for. with a crew that was kinda of crazy as the senior staffs were like the first season cast of tng with their head up their asses but they were screwing up and the lower decks type characters were keeping everything going. and getting stuff done but getting little credit.

actually that might be an interesting thing what if the lower decks people are doing tons of hard work actually making the mission succeed but the bridge crew gets all the credit rewards and promotions, and they are stuck on the bottom. they could even work it into a back story. like that girl who is a devil may care attitude what if they did something were she was a by the book officer and did her job well but never got promoted or when she did she kept getting demoted for things that were more the senior staffs fault so the reason she doesn't care and seems to drink like a fish and acts the way she does is because she is jaded and sick of dealing with not getting fair credit or promoted with out being demoted soon after. and thats evolved into her current self destructive behavior so that its no longer just the system keeping her down but her own issues
That is not how Starfleet or any military operates. This is how a bad caricature facsimile operates.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

chaos42 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 pm actually that might be an interesting thing what if the lower decks people are doing tons of hard work actually making the mission succeed but the bridge crew gets all the credit rewards and promotions, and they are stuck on the bottom. they could even work it into a back story. like that girl who is a devil may care attitude what if they did something were she was a by the book officer and did her job well but never got promoted or when she did she kept getting demoted for things that were more the senior staffs fault so the reason she doesn't care and seems to drink like a fish and acts the way she does is because she is jaded and sick of dealing with not getting fair credit or promoted with out being demoted soon after. and thats evolved into her current self destructive behavior so that its no longer just the system keeping her down but her own issues
That is honestly interesting, I really do like Lower Decks premise because it does give focus on the unsung heroes of Starfleet, the crewmembers that do all the nitty-gritty jobs that allow the heroes to save the day and as you say get the credit, and even if the reason for Ensign Beckett's attitude is not that, that is an interesting backstory for a character.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Madner Kami wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:41 pm
That is not how Starfleet or any military operates. This is how a bad caricature facsimile operates.
well thats why im saying its an idea its not so much how a military operates, its how a bad manager would operate it and thats the joke.
in much the same way that book red shirts was. the not starfleet ship was basically normal but tv show logic took over when ever something that would be in the episode was going on, the damage would always be on certain decks because thats the ones they have stock footage of. and the ships had massive casualties on away missions all the time form things the characters point out are insane and don't make sense.
Link8909 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm That is honestly interesting, I really do like Lower Decks premise because it does give focus on the unsung heroes of Starfleet, the crewmembers that do all the nitty-gritty jobs that allow the heroes to save the day and as you say get the credit, and even if the reason for Ensign Beckett's attitude is not that, that is an interesting backstory for a character.
its one of the ideas i had for something similar i had a while back.

actually had another good idea, what if the lower deck crew has to figure out ways to get the senior officers out of the way to actually get something done right. like what if the engineer of the group can get the job done but the chief is no where near as good as he thinks he is and keeps getting in the way so they have to come up with elaborate ways to get him out of the way so he can do his job. like rigging up something that will hit him with something to force him to go change his uniform and they keep doing that. to the point he just starts replicating one because it keeps happening.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

chaos42 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 am
well thats why im saying its an idea its not so much how a military operates, its how a bad manager would operate it and thats the joke.
in much the same way that book red shirts was. the not starfleet ship was basically normal but tv show logic took over when ever something that would be in the episode was going on, the damage would always be on certain decks because thats the ones they have stock footage of. and the ships had massive casualties on away missions all the time form things the characters point out are insane and don't make sense.
Link8909 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm That is honestly interesting, I really do like Lower Decks premise because it does give focus on the unsung heroes of Starfleet, the crewmembers that do all the nitty-gritty jobs that allow the heroes to save the day and as you say get the credit, and even if the reason for Ensign Beckett's attitude is not that, that is an interesting backstory for a character.

actually had another good idea, what if the lower deck crew has to figure out ways to get the senior officers out of the way to actually get something done right. like what if the engineer of the group can get the job done but the chief is no where near as good as he thinks he is and keeps getting in the way so they have to come up with elaborate ways to get him out of the way so he can do his job. like rigging up something that will hit him with something to force him to go change his uniform and they keep doing that. to the point he just starts replicating one because it keeps happening.
Heck, be interesting subtext if in the season most of the upper decks crew got their jobs more from having the right connections as oppose to actually doing anything to earn it. Like the first officer singificant other decided the order of star fleet crew and they keep getting promotions they never heard. Heck maybe show how insane some of the military takes are.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:49 am
chaos42 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:44 am

Heck, be interesting subtext if in the season most of the upper decks crew got their jobs more from having the right connections as oppose to actually doing anything to earn it. Like the first officer singificant other decided the order of star fleet crew and they keep getting promotions they never heard. Heck maybe show how insane some of the military takes are.
thats kinda of what it would have been, i could never do anything with because im not the best writer, working on it, but the idea was to show what star fleet would be for the rank and file and how some times the people running the show don't have a clue what they are doing because of the one enemy humanity has never been able to over come bureaucracy and personal empire building

ive seen it people who build themselves little empires because they hold power over others because they are in positions of power over them. id like to see someone in this show who controls something on the ship and uses it to extort favors or power out of the lower deck crew, access to something they need a lot or something along those lines.