Star Wars, Highly Illiogical Captain

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Re: Star Wars, Highly Illiogical Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ScreamingDoom wrote:Okay, so, what is synonymous with Light and Dark, then? If the Jedi and the Sith philosophies aren't exemplars of their prospective Force sides, then how can you define the Light and Dark sides?
That's hard to say canonically, as far as I can tell. But it can't be "Jedi" and "Sith", because we have a whole bunch of canon Light and Dark Siders (mostly Dark Siders) who are neither.

Is Ashoka Dark Side because she's not a Jedi? Or Light Side because she's not a Sith?

Is Ventress Light Side following her departure from Dooku's side? She was never a Sith. What about the other Nightsisters?

Maybe look at the Mortis arc (despite my mixed feelings about it). Unless you dismiss it as deception or hallucination, it gives us physical personifications of the various aspects of the Force (although would also corroborate the existence of a grey or neutral side).
You can't use something like "pleasure" because Dark Side users are never satisfied nor hedonistic; they never get to be pleased since life is a constant struggle. The Light side can't, either, because they eschew all strong emotions, including pleasure.
This is getting somewhat circular. You're arguing that Light Side=Jedi by using an Old Republic Jedi definition of Light Side.

I would (broadly, probably oversimplisticly) describe them as "the Selfish Side" and "the Selfless Side". Which isn't quite the same as pleasure/no pleasure. Or maybe "the impulsive side and the non-impulsive side".

You can be Light Side and feel emotions, as long as you don't let them drive you toward fundamentally selfish/impulsive actions. That would be my preferred take, anyway.
Oh, that's pretty easy. It's someone who doesn't ascribe to any particular doctrine, but assigns concrete goals to be achieved. The "concrete" part is important; acquiring power for power's sake is not concrete -- you have to want to do something with that power. Peace and serenity is all good and nice, but it doesn't get things done. The goals themselves and the fundamental means by which those goals are achieved is what provides the shading to the grey.
That's an interesting definition, but surely the nature of the goal would matter as well? Only it seems to you that it doesn't.

Suppose your goal was to end suffering by exterminating or mind controlling every life form in the universe. Now, I'd call that Dark.

And peace and serenity could be a goal to achieve, if not necessarily the right method to achieve that goal.
There's a point in the original KoTOR where a Sith student is giving a quiz to a bunch of hopefuls about what to do if a superior officer ordered them to spare a defeated enemy. He says that they must kill their superior officer, since letting an enemy live is weak and weakness must be purged. It's a knee-jerk reaction caused by the Sith philosophy; there's no thought or choice involved in the action. If the goal is really to make the superior stronger, then killing him isn't going to achieve that (dead people don't get the chance to get stronger). Likewise, murdering a defeated enemy is not necessarily a strong action, either (it might be, depending, but more context is needed to decide). Showing a bit of mercy might get the local population on your side (or, at least, not actively hindering you), reducing the need for personnel and material that could be better used elsewhere. None of this is a consideration in the Sith philosophy, however; it and the Jedi Code are hard doctrines with no flexibility.
I actually question weather the officer's argument logically follows from the Sith Code. The Sith Code praises unrestrained passion as the route to freedom and power- overly simplistic and self-indulgent, in my opinion, but not necessarily obligating one to destroy a defeated enemy.

I'd prefer to just say that the office was an idiot following a particularly rigid interpretation.

I'd also say that the Jedi Code is not all that inflexible. Particularly since there are two main versions IIRC (though I'm not sure that any of the codes are still canon).

And in any case, I would say that neither Order, in practice, really lived up to its ideals. And certainly neither is synonymous with Light Side and Dark Side. That is an oversimplification.
Jolee wanted the hunters in the Shadowlands gone. He could've done it himself, but he decided to let the player do it for him as a test of character (two goals at once!). Fundamentally, Jolee didn't care over much how the hunters were removed (he did mention that he didn't want them killed, but beyond a bit of grump, he doesn't care much if you go in and just slaughter them), only that they were gone.

Having concrete goals and going through with the means to accomplish them, whatever those means are, is what makes a Force user grey.
But the means matter, not just in and of themselves but because they effect your ability to actually achieve your goals. This is something that "ends justify the means" types always seem to miss- perhaps because "the ends justify the means" is, in my experience, usually an excuse to justify the means you want to use, regardless of weather they're necessary.

Though I feel like maybe we're getting a little sidetracked/muddled, here.
That's kind of Kreia's point. The consequences matter, not the means. That's why she shows you that giving that guy five credits makes his life actively worse; the player's charity (normally considered a Light side action) had a result that would normally be considered Dark. If your goal was really to make this guy's life better (as opposed to just feeling good about yourself), then you failed spectacularly.
You do realize that Kreia is an individual with individual biases, not the objective voice of truth on the nature of the Force or morality, right?
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

GandALF wrote:
ScreamingDoom wrote:
a) Obi-Wan can be wrong. The simple fact that Anakin became Vader proves that he can be. More to the point, however, is that so many Jedi fall to the Dark Side indicates that the entire philosophy is irrevocably flawed. This isn't just a one-off thing that happens occasionally. It happens continuously, throughout history, over and over and over again.
So the guy written by the creator of the franchise in the first movie (long before Jar Jar was a twinkle in Lucas' eye) could be wrong, but the crazy lady in the now non-canon spin-off video game is definitely right? It happens continuously not because the philosophy is flawed but because people are flawed. They've been teaching people not to murder since forever but it hasn't stopped yet.
Actually, the reason you constantly see stories about Jedi falling to the Dark Side is because people keep writing stories about them. The problem is that the universe has been so packed full of new stories about the same kinds of things happening because you want there to be conflict, and you want Jedi involved in swordfighting. A video game in which the main character is a peaceful diplomat without any serious looming threat or villain to duel with isn't going to sell very well. A book which reads like a dry history of bureaucratic expansion is also not going to sell well. So they keep going back to the well of "good guys becomes evil, uses red lightsaber" because that's what the audience is familiar with.
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Actually? I'd play the hell out of a Star Wars game where I just played a politician.

But then, I actually find politics interesting. Or as John Oliver called it "sports for nerds." :D

But its not that strange that a lot of Jedi would fall. After all, they have power, and "power corrupts". Though I don't think it really is as many as it seems, as a percentage. I mean, what was the old number for Jedi? 10,000 in the galaxy? And was that all Jedi, or just full knights/masters? I mean, even if their are literally a thousand canonical fallen Jedi, then that would be only a ten percent failure rate. Far less in truth, because those cases would be spread out over decades, centuries, or even millennia.

But yes, they're never going to stop using "Light Side vs. Dark Side Force users", because that's the core of the metaphysics and themes of the Star Wars universe. And it makes sense to go with fall/redemption stories, because those have more dimensions to them than "people are just born good or evil". And they're never going to stop doing light sabre battles, because they're iconic and look cool. And I don't have a problem with any of that. Because that's what Star Wars is. Sure, you can have other stuff in their as well, and should, but that's the heart of it. If you get tired of it, go watch a different series for a while.
Crowley
Officer

Post by Crowley »

Here's something that's bothered me ever since The Force Awakens came out: How did the First Order manage to create the Starkiller? They command only a fraction of the resources the Empire had, yet they somehow managed to build a superweapon that's bigger and badder than both Death Stars put together. And how did they manage to keep such an enormous project secret from the New Republic? They are supporting a resistance movement against the First Order, so they should also have a fair bit of intelligence gathering going on, yes?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

My best guess is that The Emperor used the Death Stars as a distraction and kept Starkiller base as an ace in the hole in case The Empire actually started to lose the war. Then he would just blow away all the major rebel planets, and end the war like that. Given how rapidly The Empire just collapsed, and how confident The Emperor was about winning at Endor, I think it's plausible they would have left Starkiller unused, with some General telling the base to stand down until they receive an order to fire.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Not so much a distraction, as a threat. The explicit point of the Death Stars was intimidation. They were a threat. Starkiller Base would have made an even more impressive threat, but perhaps holding it back as a trump card could work too.

That said, it doesn't really strain credulity to me that decades of galactic warfare have resulted in weapons technology advancing by TFA. I mean, North Korea's nuclear arsenal is kind of pathetic today, as nuclear arsenals go, but it would have made them the world's greatest military power during WW2.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Crowley wrote:Here's something that's bothered me ever since The Force Awakens came out: How did the First Order manage to create the Starkiller?
It's simple. They didn't. They couldn't build it. It's a simple matter of the writers being stupid and not thinking about what they are actually doing. They needed a bigger and better Superduperdeathstar and that is what they created. What's bigger than a moon? A planet. That's what they went with.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
technobabbler
Officer

Post by technobabbler »

Madner Kami wrote:
Crowley wrote:Here's something that's bothered me ever since The Force Awakens came out: How did the First Order manage to create the Starkiller?
One scene or 30 seconds of dialogue should've closed that plot hole.

Plinkett @ Red Letter Media suggested that the premise should be: Starkiller was an Alliance weapon about to be decommissioned. But then First Order forces stole the weapon as it was being moved to be destroyed.
Crowley
Officer

Post by Crowley »

Just as a personal opinion, I would have liked to see the roles reversed from the original trilogy between the good guys and bad guys in The Force Awakens. Make the First Order an underground movement that engages in guerrilla warfare, while the New Republic is is the superpower of the galaxy.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Crowley wrote:Just as a personal opinion, I would have liked to see the roles reversed from the original trilogy between the good guys and bad guys in The Force Awakens. Make the First Order an underground movement that engages in guerrilla warfare, while the New Republic is is the superpower of the galaxy.
Any IRL dictatorships had similar movements?