Thundercats Roar

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Thundercats Roar

Post by Antiboyscout »

Oh dear God why...

youtu.be/2qi41rHz4ps

Let's see, the show's producer is a neck beard wearing a flannel shirt with a 1 inch ponytail on the top of his head, the animation is the same omni animation that has taken over most of CN that is as lazy as it is inconsistent, and the theory of pushing the demasculation of men and the emasculation of women hold true if the trailer is anything to go on.

What happened to Western animation?
TGLS
Captain

Re: Thundercats Roar

Post by TGLS »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:37 pm the theory of pushing the demasculation of men and the emasculation of women hold true if the trailer is anything to go on.
You got that backwards. It would be "the emasculation of men and the masculation of women". Demasculation isn't a word.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

While I like the look of Adventure Time, Gravity Falls and Steven Universe and think the animators and artists for those shows make excellent use of their respective styles, I agree that western animation has become too cheap this decade. There's been some excellent, creative shows like the ones I mentioned but there's also been a lot of unoriginal nonsense like the Powerpuff Girls and the Teen Titans reboots, I have a bad feeling this new Thundercats will be like those shows in terms of quality.

It's a pity the last Thundercats reboot got canned because that one was pretty good, plus Cheetara was still a woman in that one and not whatever she's become here. :P
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

What happened to Western Animation compared to what?

Am I the only person who remembers how cynical and garbage the Thundercats' toy commercial was?

This is a show made for children using a dead IP so as to sell the idea to investors, it is using a style of animation that has been shown effective in several instances, with a tone that has proven marketable. What is the problem? If you don't want to watch it, then don't.

Also, what the fuck does, "demasculation of men and the emasculation of women" mean? Even if your words made sense in that sentence, what idiot and crap complaint is it to say that a goofy take on an old cartoon IP is destructive to any sort of gender norms? It is a cartoon, one of many on today, one of 3 for this franchise; if you think your world view is being destroyed or assaulted by this, your myopic opinion is comically tiny and worthless, and it should not be catered to.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Thundercats Go?

I don't mind lighter and softer once in a while; I enjoyed the hell out of Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Superhero Squad.

This might be a bit too far for me, but maybe it's for a younger audience. And when they tried to do a serious Thundercats, they didn't get the toy sales they wanted.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:22 pm Also, what the fuck does, "demasculation of men and the emasculation of women" mean? Even if your words made sense in that sentence, what idiot and crap complaint is it to say that a goofy take on an old cartoon IP is destructive to any sort of gender norms? It is a cartoon, one of many on today, one of 3 for this franchise; if you think your world view is being destroyed or assaulted by this, your myopic opinion is comically tiny and worthless, and it should not be catered to.
I did have my terms confused, emasculation and masculation are better

As to what I am talking about, look up anything having to do with the production of "Steven Universe", and look at what they did to they designs of the characters, Cheetara in particular.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:28 pm Thundercats Go?

I don't mind lighter and softer once in a while; I enjoyed the hell out of Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Superhero Squad.

This might be a bit too far for me, but maybe it's for a younger audience. And when they tried to do a serious Thundercats, they didn't get the toy sales they wanted.
The original was just Thundercats the new show is Thundercats Roar, they already added the verb for you.

A bad sign, indicating formulaic thinking.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:32 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:28 pm Thundercats Go?

The original was just Thundercats the new show is Thundercats Roar, they already added the verb for you.

A bad sign, indicating formulaic thinking.
Sorry, I was making a clumsy Teen Titans Go reference.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

This look is currently referred to as the CalArts style (whether it is or not is debatable*) and it is everywhere on Cartoon Network. I think it looks terrible and is certainly not something for a action cartoon like Thundercats used to be. But this is probably going to be much more like what happened with Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go.

*It's really ''Thin Line style'' but a lot of folks on the internet will call it CalArts, but that's been a derogatory term for style for quite some time regardless of where the artist responsible actually studied (if at all).
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Antiboyscout wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:37 pm What happened to Western animation?
Did people watch this?

youtu.be/LNp8JQJjKAw

Because if you don't watch Cartoons like this you won't get more.