They're Planning a Reboot of Alf

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

They're Planning a Reboot of Alf

Post by Darth Wedgius »

It's not true that Hollywood is out of ideas, but I can see why people might get that impression.
Mebius
Redshirt

Re: They're Planning a Reboot of Alf

Post by Mebius »

The question now is if it's going to be a straight reboot or are they going to change the tone for modern skeptical audiences? Long explanations for things no one asked for likes Alf's race? An overarching invasion/exaltation plot? Interspecies romance? You probably think I'm joking but they couldn't even return Roseanne to the small without some kind of play on the concept that drastically changes how it is received, so I'm expecting something stupid here too.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Mebius wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:22 am The question now is if it's going to be a straight reboot or are they going to change the tone for modern skeptical audiences? Long explanations for things no one asked for likes Alf's race? An overarching invasion/exaltation plot? Interspecies romance? You probably think I'm joking but they couldn't even return Roseanne to the small without some kind of play on the concept that drastically changes how it is received, so I'm expecting something stupid here too.
One alternative I've heard of wouldn't be a reboot, exactly, but Alf coming out of Area 51 after his capture at the end of the original series and reacting to changes in the world. Though there was a made-for-TV movie that had had him exiting captivity already.

I can't say I'd be surprised if it went dark and gritty, but I haven't heard it.
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

Mebius wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:22 amLong explanations for things no one asked for likes Alf's race?
That was the animated series.
Mebius
Redshirt

Post by Mebius »

Eishtmo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:02 am
Mebius wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:22 amLong explanations for things no one asked for likes Alf's race?
I forgot that existed till now.
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

Mebius wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:57 pm
Eishtmo wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:02 am
I forgot that existed till now.
I either made your day, or ruined it.

You're welcome either way.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

WILLIE!!!!
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Dark gritty ALF where he secretly eat all the city's cats all while on the run from the Agents tasked with capturing him for examination and experimentation. Kind of like the TV movie but less fun.
Quixotica
Redshirt

Post by Quixotica »

Robovski wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:08 am Dark gritty ALF where he secretly eat all the city's cats all while on the run from the Agents tasked with capturing him for examination and experimentation. Kind of like the TV movie but less fun.
Honestly they could just do a series about the making of the tv show Alf if they want "Dark and Gritty". From what I remember that show was a nightmare for it's cast and crew with everyone being constantly miserable.
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

Quixotica wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:53 pmHonestly they could just do a series about the making of the tv show Alf if they want "Dark and Gritty". From what I remember that show was a nightmare for it's cast and crew with everyone being constantly miserable.
You know, that might actually work if you set it that Alf was a REAL alien and the entire sit com was an attempt to hide him.