New Star Trek series staring Sir Patrick Stewart

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
m4a2000
Officer

New Star Trek series staring Sir Patrick Stewart

Post by m4a2000 »

So this was just confirmed AND it will take place 20 years after Nemesis. I think the prequel rut is finally over!

Edit: More info
The exact plot details are being kept mostly under wraps, though the series is said to tell the story of the next chapter of Picard’s life. That indicates that it will take place after the events of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” rather than being a prequel or reboot.

The untitled series hails from Alex Kurtzman, James Duff, Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon, and Kirsten Beyer. Kurtzman, Duff, Goldsman, and Chabon will also serve as executive producers on the series along with Stewart, Trevor Roth, Heather Kadin, and Rod Roddenberry. CBS Television Studios will produce. The new series does not currently have a premiere date.

“I will always be very proud to have been a part of ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation,’ but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with ‘Star Trek’ had run its natural course,” Stewart said. “It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.”

“During these past years, it has been humbling to hear many stories about how ‘The Next Generation’ brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership,” he continued. “I feel I’m ready to return to him for the same reason – to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.”
Last edited by m4a2000 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Winter
Captain

Re: New Star Trek series staring Sir Patrick Stewart

Post by Winter »

m4a2000 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:48 pm So this was just confirmed AND it will take place 20 years after Nemesis. I think the prequel rut is finally over!
Little did they know that this whole thing was a set up to yet another Prequel/AU about Picard meeting up with Kelvin Timeline Kirk. But that is a story for another day. :twisted:
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Winter wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 pm
m4a2000 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:48 pm So this was just confirmed AND it will take place 20 years after Nemesis. I think the prequel rut is finally over!
Little did they know that this whole thing was a set up to yet another Prequel/AU about Picard meeting up with Kelvin Timeline Kirk. But that is a story for another day. :twisted:
Don't you dare give CBS an idea like that!
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Mebius
Redshirt

Post by Mebius »

So will this place it firmly in the post Romulus destruction era? And be the first canonical work that explores that time?
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I was of the opinion that we wouldn't be seeing a return to any TNG era character or series for a very long time, so this was a surprise to me when I first heard about this and a surprise now to hear it confirmed.

This could be a step in the right direction, but we'll have to wait and see what exactly this story is going to be. Honestly, the future of Picard's story isn't something that feels "necessary" and I still want to see new characters- but actually going into the future could be good for Trek and it should be pretty cool to see the character again.
The owls are not what they seem.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Eh, I'm wary. Patrick Stewart is a good actor, but he was also slummy enough to play a role in The Emoji Movie. >_>
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
TheNewTeddy
Officer

Post by TheNewTeddy »

oh god. It's going to be out picard after he retires

this is going to be awful.

remember too that all those awkward "picard as action hero" scenes were all stewart's idea.

It's going to be an old man pretending he's harrison ford while in the star trek universe.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:15 am Eh, I'm wary. Patrick Stewart is a good actor, but he was also slummy enough to play a role in The Emoji Movie. >_>
Steward has played plenty of ham roles in the past already and none of which detracted from his life's work. He is that good.
ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:59 am I was of the opinion that we wouldn't be seeing a return to any TNG era character or series for a very long time, so this was a surprise to me when I first heard about this and a surprise now to hear it confirmed.
I have mixed feelings about the Hobus Nova, but it would be a great sign if they incorportated it into the new series' background.
ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:59 amThis could be a step in the right direction, but we'll have to wait and see what exactly this story is going to be. Honestly, the future of Picard's story isn't something that feels "necessary" and I still want to see new characters- but actually going into the future could be good for Trek and it should be pretty cool to see the character again.
I wouldn't be all too surprised, if Picard is only a background character, an Admiral that often meets up with the new cast or something like that. I just can't imagine that they'd make a "Trek"-series that deals with old Picard in a retirement home and his troubles with finding his misplaced dental bits.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
maquise
Redshirt

Post by maquise »

This is only a tangentially-related note, but I just learned to my amazement and utter disappointment that Jellyfish is the actual canon name of Spock's ship.

Back on topic, umm, I may actually check this one out. Haven't watched Discovery due to not feeling it is worth the subscription, but we'll see.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

TheNewTeddy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:26 am oh god. It's going to be out picard after he retires

this is going to be awful.

remember too that all those awkward "picard as action hero" scenes were all stewart's idea.

It's going to be an old man pretending he's harrison ford while in the star trek universe.
Could he even do that action stuff with his old man bod?