John DeLancie Comments on Picard and Janeway

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Trinary
Officer

John DeLancie Comments on Picard and Janeway

Post by Trinary »

I just found some notes I had taken earlier this year and thought I'd share them as they're pretty interesting, at least, to me. My apologies if I'm just repeating anything commonly known. I was at BABScon (Bay Area Brony Spectacular)--a San Francisco My Little Pony convention--this April and John DeLancie was one of the guests of honor.

While there he did a dramatic live-reading of Shel Silverstein's poem "The Devil and Billy Markham" which I would HIGHLY recommend experiencing for yourself one of these days. Afterwards there was a question and answer session and DeLancie talked a bit about his acting experiences, including with Star Trek.

One person asked what it was like acting opposite Patrick Stewart as opposed to Kate Mulgrew. DeLancie's response was (roughly reconstructed) that it depended principally on the material he was given. The Voyager producers told him under no circumstances was there to be any hint that Janeway was interested in Q. But Mulgrew and DeLancie knew each other rather well and had a natural intimacy that the producers kept trying to weed out of the shooting.

DeLancie told them that this was badly limiting what both he and Mulgrew could do, like washing the color out of a picture, but they did it anyway. That wasn't an issue with Stewart on TNG since they were both type-A personalities playing off each other, trying to be dominant, etc. So that stuff was better, in DeLancie's view.

Hope that was worth sharing.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: John DeLancie Comments on Picard and Janeway

Post by PerrySimm »

It's those little stories that make conventions worth going to! Apparently Kate Mulgrew once had a special dinner party just to get de Lancie onto the show, too!
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

*moves thread to appropriate forum*
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think it summarizes the mediocrity of Voyager that no interesting relationships were allowed into the show.

No development.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:54 am I think it summarizes the mediocrity of Voyager that no interesting relationships were allowed into the show.

No development.
For sure. I also wonder if they were trying to avoid a repeat of ''Code of Honor'' where Tasha Yar was visibly turned on by Lutan treating her like property. Q isn't that bad of course, but he was arguably stalking her and begging her for sex.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Probably but the thing is if they saw the chemistry, they could have written them differently.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:25 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:54 am I think it summarizes the mediocrity of Voyager that no interesting relationships were allowed into the show.

No development.
For sure. I also wonder if they were trying to avoid a repeat of ''Code of Honor'' where Tasha Yar was visibly turned on by Lutan treating her like property. Q isn't that bad of course, but he was arguably stalking her and begging her for sex.
Don't kink shame bro. It's not cool.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

If "The Q and the Grey" had gone better, would there have been more Q on Voyager? And if so, is that worth trading "Q2" for?
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Trinary
Officer

Post by Trinary »

PerrySimm wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 pm It's those little stories that make conventions worth going to! Apparently Kate Mulgrew once had a special dinner party just to get de Lancie onto the show, too!
I have more notes about what John DeLancie said at the convention, though it tended to either be more general than Star Trek, or more specific re: My Little Pony. Let me know if there's any interest and I'll post more here.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

If I could only pick one other actor from TNG to return in this new Picard series, it would be Delancie. I feel you won't lose anything by having him minus the rest of the crew. His strongest connection was with Picard by far.