Memory Alpha: Jews OMG

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Artabax
Officer

Memory Alpha: Jews OMG

Post by Artabax »

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jew
:o :o :o
I have just read Mem A's definition of Jew

The Jewish people were an ethno-religious group on Earth and Omega IV, with a religion that worshiped God. (TOS: "The Omega Glory"; VOY: "The Killing Game") Many members of the faith could read or speak Hebrew.

I repeat The Jewish people were an ethno-religious group on Earth and Omega IV, with a religion that worshiped God. (TOS: "The Omega Glory"; VOY: "The Killing Game") Many members of the faith could read or speak Hebrew.

Past Tense. WTF??? WTF???
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Worffan101
Captain

Re: Memory Alpha: Jews OMG

Post by Worffan101 »

That's how Memory Alpha in-universe articles are written, dude. Standard practice on fandom wikis. Past-tense for anything in-universe.
PerrySimm
Captain

Memory Alpha Manual of Style

Post by PerrySimm »

Sorry they reverted your edit, but you were not following the established style guide.
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Memory_Alpha:Point_of_view wrote: Because Star Trek stories take place in many different eras, from the beginnings of life on Earth to the 31st century and beyond, and because forthcoming stories may even expand beyond that, it is important to write all articles from a single perspective: i.e. that of someone looking back at the past. This helps to keep Memory Alpha consistent and understandable. A specific point in time has not been defined, but if it helps, pretend that we're writing and viewing this data archive at the end of time, long after the Star Trek universe as we know it has ceased to exist.

This means using the past tense in almost all instances. An exception to this are purely definitional statements on articles about a concept (which can be considered "eternal") - these may be written in present tense. For example, an article about any specific planet should be written in past tense from beginning to end. An article about the concept planet, however, could start with a definition that is written in present tense ("A planet is a celestial body orbiting a star"), before changing to past tense for the remainder of the article.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

As an example to support this:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Human wrote:The Humans (Homo sapiens), also known as Terrans, were a warp-capable humanoid species from the Alpha Quadrant.
There is no intention of any implication here other than a consistent tone treating all topics as universally in the past.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Wouldn't all the Earth religions be past tense anyway in Star Trek, in the 24th-century series at least? If any Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Shintoists, etc. were in the Star Trek universe, they sure never seemed to show up.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Perhaps, and that's debatable (different episodes imply different things in this regard), but either way it's not the point of view from which Memory Alpha is written.
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:26 pm Perhaps, and that's debatable (different episodes imply different things in this regard), but either way it's not the point of view from which Memory Alpha is written.
Wait, what? Where did Star Trek ever portray humans as religious? I thought that we had surrendered that hat to the Bajorans by the 23rd century.

edit - I love the internet. Here's a super detailed breakdown of darn near every time the subject comes up in Trek.

And yeah...religion seems to be pretty much dead among humanity in Star Trek. Roddenberry was very, VERY clear about how he felt about it, and the show reflects that view - only crazy humans in Trek are religious. Aliens can be religious and not crazy, although more often than not they're revealed to be fools in thrall to a false prophet. The Bajorans manage to avoid that fate (kind of) but of course Gene was gone by that point.
Zoinksberg
Officer

Post by Zoinksberg »

Yes, did you also read the article on Christianity? That it WAS a human religion? Or that New York City WAS a city on the Atlantic coast of the North American continent? Or San Francisco, a city we have seen still existing numerous times in virtually every incarnation of Trek, WAS a port city?

This kind of knee-jerk reaction to something with a completely reasonable explanation is so disappointing. When someone's first reaction isn't "perhaps this is the way all articles are written, I should look in to it more", but rather "this is a clear and blatant attack on X and I must take to the internet to let everyone know" it really shows just how easy it is for someone to create any narrative they want.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

All that being true, I would really like for the article on Crewman Daniels to use a different tense every sentence, just for giggles.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:37 am All that being true, I would really like for the article on Crewman Daniels to use a different tense every sentence, just for giggles.
That would be amazing.