Opinions on Spider-Man (PS4)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Opinions on Spider-Man (PS4)

Post by Winter »

So I finished Spider-Man for the PS4 a few weeks ago and I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it. For me personally, I really enjoyed it, in fact I actually feel that it blows the Batman Arkham Games out of the Water, though I'm not the biggest fan of Arkham Asylum and I think Arkham Knight is Very weak in terms of gameplay (way to much Batmobile, weak bosses and the gameplay adds very little and what it does add isn't all that much fun IMO) and I think the story is one of the worst in the Batman Mythos.

Still without the Arkham series we may never have gotten this game and while I have my issues with the character due to a number of poor story choices that Chuck and Linkara have gone over in much better detail, I think that SMPS4 is a great game that does a great job at balancing out Peter's every day mundane life with the fantastic elements of Spider-Man.

About my only real complainant is that my favorite character in all of Marvel, Spider-Gwen, didn't show up in the game itself. Though really she wouldn't make sense in this story but still, she's my favorite and I would love for her to be playable in a game.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: Opinions on Spider-Man (PS4)

Post by PerrySimm »

UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
MrL1992
Officer

Re: Opinions on Spider-Man (PS4)

Post by MrL1992 »

I really enjoyed my time with the main story and some of the side content. I was disappointed with how quickly ?I burned through it though.

It's main drawbacks vs the Arkham games are its stealth (the bits with Spider-Man ) are hot as well designed or fun mechanically. Also, as mentioned before, the side mission have little story meat to them with no appearances by aby major Spider-Man villains which was disappointing.

I will out the latter down to development time, so much of their efforts would be put into building the skeleton of the game and making all the basics work. The stealty parts could have been better thought out though, the 'Spider vision' is a little underpowered, its too difficult to hide when spotted in many places, the tools aren't as robust and most its poetless as they'll just throw standard looks at you when you clear most optional areas via stealth.

I did really appreciate who much character there was in the main story , how spectacular the combat is (with some truly amazing boss fights), a good progression system, lots of costumes (that you don't have to pay for!) and having no 'Spider-car' helps too!