J K Rowling back on her bullshit

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

J K Rowling back on her bullshit

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

most fans: please creators tell us more canon information please

harry potter fans: we will pay you to Stop.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
LittleRaven
Captain

Re: J K Rowling back on her bullshit

Post by LittleRaven »

Ok, Fuzzy. I know almost nothing of Harry Potter. I read the first...3 and halfish books?...way back when. They were fine, but nothing I felt compelled to continue with. I remember Quiddich having rules that made NO sense from any kind of game play perspective. Outside of that...not much.

What is Rowling doing now that has fans so annoyed?
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Um, what's the point of this post? Not getting it?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:53 pm most fans: please creators tell us more canon information please

harry potter fans: we will pay you to Stop.
JK Rowling is a fantastic example of what happens when you have so much money and fame that you literally do not need to listen to anyone at all whilst simultaneously having an army of corporate yes men and fans that will go to war to protect you. Add to that that she is clearly her own editor and her non-Harry Potter career failed to gain any traction at all and you have someone who really has no one to stop her.

And you can see this in the rushed nature of the final Potter book imo. The Deathly Hallows themselves were amazingly poor in their set-up. So much so that they come off as backing herself into a corner after Dumbledore and Grindelwald (who were the only two who had been set up to be approaching his level of power in the previous six books) were killed off and instead needed an asspull to allow Harry any chance at all to win. The Peverall brothers should have been introduced as a throwaway line MUCH earlier and a little bit more made of how unusual Harry's perfect invisibility cloak is instead of just having Ron in this book go ''oh, hey, always thought that your cloak was odd. My bad for not pointing it out sooner.''
I don't even need to put in any effort at all to rewrite the series to include these things: Book 2, Harry visits the Weasleys, have him inquire about Ron's nursery rhyme book. Book 4, Harry visits the Weasleys again, have Hermione read the book and make an off-hand observation about the Hallows. Boom, done. That is Chekovs Gun done and dusted.

PS - Ron, a boy established as not being that book smart, who was heavily stressed out at the time over his sister being kidnapped, being able to imitate Parseltongue after hearing it once five years ago ranks as one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read in a major release.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MrL1992 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:09 pm Um, what's the point of this post? Not getting it?
Nagini (Voldemort's snake) is a woman now. An actual woman. And it is bullshit that this was not alluded to even slightly throughout any of the scenes that she was in previously.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 pm Nagini (Voldemort's snake) is a woman now. An actual woman. And it is bullshit that this was not alluded to even slightly throughout any of the scenes that she was in previously.
A shapeshifting woman? Or was she transformed into a snake at some point? Or is the whole snake thing forgotten, and now she's a woman for all intents and purposes? Or is she a Naga or something now?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:21 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 pm Nagini (Voldemort's snake) is a woman now. An actual woman. And it is bullshit that this was not alluded to even slightly throughout any of the scenes that she was in previously.
A shapeshifting woman? Or was she transformed into a snake at some point? Or is the whole snake thing forgotten, and now she's a woman for all intents and purposes? Or is she a Naga or something now?
I don't think anyone knows yet, I may be wrong.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

I just hope this means progressive activists will stop quoting Harry Potter, claiming to be part of Dumbledore's army and comparing Trump to Voldemort.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

clearspira wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 pm
Here we go!
Kotaku wrote:Nagini, Voldemort’s pet snake and a macguffin late in the series, has been revealed to be an East Asian woman that was cursed to be a snake.
Source
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 pm
Here we go!
Kotaku wrote:Nagini, Voldemort’s pet snake and a macguffin late in the series, has been revealed to be an East Asian woman that was cursed to be a snake.
Source
Ugh...