Villains you would like to see portrayed in a Batman film

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Villains you would like to see portrayed in a Batman film

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I just saw a video thumbnail on Youtube that speculated about Man-Bat as a villain, and just thought that that sounded like a cooler idea than any other thoughts I've had on the subject lately.

Any particular choices for any type of Bats rendition/director, or just any villains you think should get their due?
Power laces... alright.
Nessus
Officer

Re: Villains you would like to see portrayed in a Batman film

Post by Nessus »

Mr. Freeze is my favorite Bat-villain, so I'd kinda like to see a good big-budget live action version of him.

The Schumacher version doesn't count, for reasons that should be obvious. The Gotham version doesn't count either, as for me the appeal of him is the element of sympathetic tragedy in his motives, so IMO any version that plays him as a sadist or as having always been evil is fundamentally missing the point of him.

Sort of a shame: Gotham was really hit-and-miss with it's versions of the rouges gallery: some were amazing (Penguin, Selena Kyle, Riddler, Joker), others were kind of blah or really bad (Black Mask, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy).

The Arkham games got him right, but that's not surprising, considering how much they draw on the animated series that remade the character into his modern form to begin with.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

I think a twofer. Harely Quinn and Lockdown

Harley is one of the crazies that would be as much a force for good as villainy if she just got some help. And Lockdown helps define the line Batman feels he can't cross.
Actarus
Officer

Post by Actarus »

1) Man-Bat is indeed interesting.

2) Clayface

3) The Royal Flush Gang

Penguin, Riddler and Freeze would always be interesting, but we already seen them in movies. Although I must admit that Arnold's Freeze was... below zero. Dr Freeze could get another try. Poison Ivy too.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

I don't know how well he's work as a movie villain, but I loved what they did with Calendar Man in Arkham City. Might have been reinvented that way in comics already for all I know, but this (so far as I knew) joke of a guy suddenly being presented in the vein of a chilling serial killer, with the 'gimmick' that you know the days he's going to be going to work, so on every big occasion everyone in Gotham's going to be looking over their shoulder... good work. As I say, not sure if he's fit for a movie - I mean something like Seven or whatever, regular cops hunting crazy guy, fine, but I don't know if I can the Batman having much of a blockbuster-film-fitting struggle with him.

Kind of a similar vein, Riddler - I know he's been done, but not well (I mean Jim Carrey can bring all the energy he wants, and by god he did, but it was still lazy writing, and that's being charitable). Again drawing on Arkham (because that's what I know), I'd like to see him as a proper crime thriller mastermind villain. In a way, Heath Ledger's Joker was a lot of what I'd love to see the Riddler being, except he'd have a nicer suit and better haircut - this guy who can fast-talk his way anywhere he wants, and twist his victims' heads around to make them into monsters.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Actually re: Arkham games, I have a feeling Royal Flush Gang woulda been a sickass encounter, given that you had to fight them all at once and they didn't make it some kind of detractive simulation like they did with Deathstroke in Arkham Knight. Kinda the same deal there with Arkham Origins, though not that much of a detraction technically and he's praised as probably the best encounter in that game.

Mr. Freeze on the other hand was indeed the prized chicken in Arkham City, though it's not like his encounter was that intricate, it just forced you to be a little more crafty on your feet with the constriction. Kinda like a challenge mode but not insultingly irrelevant like having to wait for the last guard to walk near an extinguisher on the other side of the room so you can combust it and take him out in silence. Freeze's backstory definitely was respected, and I even thought his appearance in Arkham Knight was like the saddest in the game (and worked really well with the teary drop theme chord that showed up but a few times throughout.

I don't really see what was so special about Calendar Man, though I don't remember any particular conflict with him and all the YT videos I'm finding just have to do with the easter eggs where he says something different on each day.
Power laces... alright.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Oh Calendar Man does nothing, he just sits in his cell and talks - TBH I never even bothered remembering to play on the right days for him to say something different, I just loved that serial killer presentation of him, which I'd never seen before. It was nothing he did, just sparked the imagination.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Mad Hatter. I'd love to see a Nolan-ish version of him. Perhaps someone working with the Army on hypnosis....
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Agreed with Mr. Freeze - he needs a proper rendition outside of animation.

I also would like to see Clayface. I would have previously thought he could not be done well but movie CGI has advanced where it would work.

For a new entry, I'd like to see the Psycho Pirate. Because then we can reboot the whole DCMU.
Last edited by Robovski on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Well I'm glad there's gonna be an animated movie with Hush. Not sure if it's the New 52 rendition, but looking forward to it if it is either way.
Power laces... alright.