Still KINOs?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Still KINOs?

Post by Yukaphile »

Just got a good look at the "updated" Klingons for STD Season 2, you know, the one where the show is supposed to be improving, that the Klingons are looking "more like themselves?" Well...

https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-ssl. ... w-head.jpg

Really? This really looks like a Klingon to you? How...? How do you even...? I mean, they could still do the traditional makeup. It's not hard. I'm sorry, I still don't buy this is a "Prime Timeline" show. At ALL.

God help us when the Picard series gets around to the Cardassians, the Jem'Hadar, and the Founders...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Makeshift Python
Captain

Re: Still KINOs?

Post by Makeshift Python »

Looks fine to me.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Then your standards are just lower than mine, I'm sorry, but I call it as I see it. The Klingons may have been superficially altered from TMP onward, but the look was still basically the same, to the point it wasn't jarring to see those subtle alterations. This is not subtle. This is right in your face "KINO." Again, weep for the time when the current writers return and decide to lay their fingers on the Cardassians and the Dominion...
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Makeshift Python
Captain

Yuka, my standards are just different, not lower. Stop being dramatic.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Especially glaring given the whole "Romulan ridges" fiasco from a week or so ago.

But whatever. I'm curious to hear what other people think about this?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:02 am Really? This really looks like a Klingon to you? How...? How do you even...? I mean, they could still do the traditional makeup. It's not hard. I'm sorry, I still don't buy this is a "Prime Timeline" show. At ALL.
What do you think of this one?
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mem ... -prefix=en
(Those ridges remind me of the pattern we saw on a Klingon from TNG or DS9, but I can't remember which one specifically)

Or this one?
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mem ... -prefix=en
(He reminds me a lot of this look: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/mem ... -prefix=en )
Last edited by Deledrius on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Makeshift Python
Captain

I had valid reasons for why the Romulan make up change was an issue and yet again you’re ignoring the point I made in order to just point a finger at me and say “gotcha!”

That’s being intellectually dishonest. Be better than that. If DISCO or any other show happens to feature a Romulan with non-Vulcan like features I will very much take issue with that.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The first one looks more like a Star Wars alien than a Klingon. Like a, what's it called? Devaronian?

Second one is definitely better, but not by much, and could definitely stand to be ironed out. It's like the show itself, it seems. More "Trek-like," but not really Trek. Also, there's no confirmation the Albino is Klingon. His race is never mentioned in the episode.
Makeshift Python
Captain

So, are you going to acknowledge the point I made about Romulans or are you always going to pretend there’s a contradiction where there is none in my argument?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I can't exactly remember how that debate ended, but IIRC, didn't you just drop the subject and stop refuting our points? Because we know where this will go. Apologies if I'm misremembering. With that said, if you wanna continue, the posts are still there... somewhere.

I can accept that it's a contradiction, though, but given the limited effects of the time, I don't think it's that much of a stretch. What STD did was far worse. Made the Klingons Orks (different skin color, no hair, even worse teeth, etc) to the point even if they look 100% like they once did, the fans will never let them live it down. Ever. I mean, they openly acknowledge there's "Augment Klingons" and "regular Klingons" living together. Okay. I could get behind that, tbh. But they really just don't look like themselves at all. Did you see the first link he posted? Eurgh. He has horns. Why did they need to give the Klingons HORNS? They don't need to be a generic scary alien race! Hell, one could argue it's technically racist. I'd say giving the Andorians bumpy foreheads worked better, and was superior to TNG's sole attempt. That's a contradiction? Sure. But a minor one. The stuff with the KINOs has just been all-around mishandled.

Guess I couldn't resist after all. :oops: