Star Trek: Lower Decks

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Starbug
Officer

Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by Starbug »

So a new animated Star Trek series is on its way called Lower Decks, co-developed by someone who's worked in Rick and Morty (not a show I got into, if I'm being honest), and I have somewhat mixed feelings. But first a video

youtu.be/S5sEzo_qzyQ
I'm going to start by saying I'm not a fan of the animation style based upon the art released to date: to me it looks more like a flash-game than an actual animated series.

Second... I can't say I'm that impressed by the character bios so far. Everyone comes across as "this is the straight lased one" and "this is the wacky one" and "this is the techy one", as apposed to the more well rounded characters we've had in the past. I get that it's aimed at a younger audience, but so we're shows like Avatar and Justice League, and they had deep, complex characters.

There's still some potential, but I've been burned too many times in the recent past, so consider me optimistic, but not too hopeful.

Thoughts?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

3-dimensional characters in JL, like Batman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter?
..What mirror universe?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I get the sense that this show is supposed to be more of a lark than JL, which was a more earnest show about superheroes.

In fact, it reminds me of another space show from the 90s called SPACE CASES.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Lark? And I loved Space Cases! It's better than modern Trek.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Haven’t heard anything about this until now. I find it disappointing that three out of the four main characters appear human. (Not sure about the blue haired guy, though Ezra from SW: Rebels was a human with blue hair.) It’s animated. They can do any species they want without an issue. They don’t even need to be humanoid.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Meushell wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 am Haven’t heard anything about this until now. I find it disappointing that three out of the four main characters appear human. (Not sure about the blue haired guy, though Ezra from SW: Rebels was a human with blue hair.) It’s animated. They can do any species they want without an issue. They don’t even need to be humanoid.
Can they? Don't they reuse models with slight changes?
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Karha of Honor wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:01 am
Meushell wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 am Haven’t heard anything about this until now. I find it disappointing that three out of the four main characters appear human. (Not sure about the blue haired guy, though Ezra from SW: Rebels was a human with blue hair.) It’s animated. They can do any species they want without an issue. They don’t even need to be humanoid.
Can they? Don't they reuse models with slight changes?
I don’t think that’s done for main characters, at least, not in the cartoons I have seen. It would be really distracting if they did. Besides, even if they don’t want a non-humanoid main character, that’s not an reason to make most of them human. Give one wings. That’s something that could be fun to explore, and it would be easier to do in a cartoon. Make one a Xindi insectoid to show the Xindi really do exist in the 24th century. Or just go with a human-like alien. They gave one cybernetics. That cannot be any easier than a Bajoran nose or Vulcan ears.
Starbug
Officer

Post by Starbug »

Meushell wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:28 amOr just go with a human-like alien. They gave one cybernetics. That cannot be any easier than a Bajoran nose or Vulcan ears.
It looks like the security/tactical officer is Bajoran
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Looks terrible, I do not intend to spend even one second watching it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

They should bring back Eddington.
..What mirror universe?