Media (movies or TV shows) you like but everyone else hates?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Media (movies or TV shows) you like but everyone else hates?

Post by Yukaphile »

For me, hands down, it's the 1993 Super Mario Bros. movie!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Media (movies or TV shows) you like but everyone else hates?

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Tomorrowland. A bit hamfisted in its message (the director's usual Meritocratic, pseudo-Objectivist, shpiel) but I definitely enjoyed it. Worth the matinee.

youtu.be/0sH0__SpV88
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:14 am Tomorrowland. A bit hamfisted in its message (the director's usual Meritocratic, pseudo-Objectivist, shpiel) but I definitely enjoyed it. Worth the matinee.

youtu.be/0sH0__SpV88
I really enjoyed the first half, the concept itself is great. The problem is that they don't really do anything with it beyond the green message that really comes out of nowhere. This should have been a fun romp through this fun pseudo-1950s sci-fi world and it really wasn't. ''Downsizing'' was another one that took a great (if slightly cliche concept) and ruined it with a green message in its second half. That and an horrifically fake Vietnamese accent that grated every time she was on screen but that's another story.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:43 am For me, hands down, it's the 1993 Super Mario Bros. movie!
I think it comes down to whether you are a Mario fan or not. I'm not so I didn't mind it. I didn't like it either, but I've seen worse moves.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

1) Waterworld the ''most expensive failure of all time''. Its not a deep film, its mindless action, but I don't think it was ever intending to be anything more. I think if this was a 2019 film, its practical effects over CGI and its green message would probably make it a winner.

2) Ben Affleck's Daredevil. I don't see why its hated.

3) Star Trek: The Final Frontier. I CAN see why this is hated, but for me this is a top half Star Trek film and superior to STD.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've played Super Mario World, which most think of when citing how the movie fails. Plus, come on, Dennis Hopper! Bob Hoskins! How can you go wrong? It's got a lot of kitsch charm. Oh, I also love Waterworld!
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
SlackerinDeNile
Officer

Post by SlackerinDeNile »

I'm with Clearspira on Waterworld, I found it quite enjoyable.

I like a lot of 80's movies that critics and audiences hated at the time, like Spies Like Us and Dragnet.
They're dated and not very PC but I find them funny and entertaining.

I have a softer spot for Alien 3 than most, I love David Fincher's work and I think it works well as a gritty, cynical horror movie, it looks good and it's full of good actors.
"I am to liquor what the Crocodile Hunter is to Alligators." - Afroman
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Too me I love space jam even if it is very very stupid.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Striperella...? I guess. I am at episode 4 or something.