The Rise of Skywalker plot rumors *spoilers*

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Ordo
Officer

The Rise of Skywalker plot rumors *spoilers*

Post by Ordo »

What follows is information from a Reddit user named Jedi Praxis about what the actual plot of the 'Finale of the Skywalker saga' will be. I bring it up because other well known groups (The Making of Star Wars) have corroborated some of this, and I believe some of JP's prediction from before the recent Sizzle reel did in fact come true. It's possible this person has just been very lucky...or that things will change in reshoots...but I post this here for your discussion.

Again, potential SPOILERS. You have been warned.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/d5i0ye/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/d7bshe/the_basic_plot_of_the_rise_of_skywalker_updated/
clearspira
Overlord

Re: The Rise of Skywalker plot rumors *spoilers*

Post by clearspira »

Stinks of fanservice from beginning to end. This for me will probably be like the last two films: i'll watch it, and then never watch it again.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Rumors are always rumors and to be taken with grain of salt until proven true.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hope this is true. No Palpatine clone bullshit, thanks. Leave that to Legends.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Also, Kylo Ren comes back to the light just by having his dad appear before him and chatting it up? Bwahahahahaha.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 pm Also, Kylo Ren comes back to the light just by having his dad appear before him and chatting it up? Bwahahahahaha.
Kylo Ren is apparently dumb enough to immediately do the bidding of a known manipulative bastard just because he's promised an Empire and a partner. Which means Luke only failure was not teaching Ben Solo Common Sense, pattern recognition or Logic.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Again, Mecha is right to question this. That said, if true... I really will laugh. It just seems so... wow. It feels poorly written and reminds me of what Mark Hamill had said, it's "cinema of bewilderment." So glad they'd not adapting Legends into movies, tbh. Hell, put that way, you have to wonder at the stupidity at WHY they didn't try adapting it? Harry Potter did it well, and I had issues with Harry Potter past Chamber of Secrets. But then, "it's hard." Requires more effort than they are willing to put in.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:06 pm Again, Mecha is right to question this. That said, if true... I really will laugh. It just seems so... wow. It feels poorly written and reminds me of what Mark Hamill had said, it's "cinema of bewilderment." So glad they'd not adapting Legends into movies, tbh. Hell, put that way, you have to wonder at the stupidity at WHY they didn't try adapting it? Harry Potter did it well, and I had issues with Harry Potter past Chamber of Secrets. But then, "it's hard." Requires more effort than they are willing to put in.
If this is true, I'd say this is the result of something I didn't originally expect. Lucasfilm (apparently) wanted to give the writers/directors of their new Star Wars films/tv series/etc a lot of freedom to create interesting stories within the established universe. I can understand the logic, they make themselves look attractive to creative types by assuring them they will not be micromanaging every little thing. For the most part this has worked as I'd call 'The Force Awaken', 'Rogue One' and 'Solo' good enjoyable films. However it's worth noting that two of those movies did require a lot of behind the scenes rework to get right. The upcoming 'Mandalorian' Streaming series is also looking to be a good entry into the Star Wars legacy.

So, not much oversight and a lot of creative freedom on the directors part lead to the divisive 'The Last Jedi'. That plus the unfortunate passing of Carrie Fisher, the sacking of teh writer/director Colin and JJ Abrams scrambling to come up with some kind of ending (plus his own personal preferences) leads to the current rumored plot line.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

You would prefer they act like control freaks? I mean, everything I hear says they are just micromanaging the hell out of this franchise, and it shows. Legends pandering, Legends easter eggs, but not Legends itself, to name one example as the niche I belong to. They try to appeal every which way a little, and it really doesn't work. I actually respect Last Jedi for what it did differently. Even Mark Hamill praised it for being challenging. And of course, that it also was so divisive is that childish part of me taking great glee in their franchise having crashed and burned, at least in terms of audience engagement.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:06 pm Harry Potter did it well, and I had issues with Harry Potter past Chamber of Secrets. But then, "it's hard." Requires more effort than they are willing to put in.
Difference between Legends and HP books is that HP books were written by one author who wrote those as single continues story when Legends was written by so many authors that did they own thing. So it's easier to adapt something written by single author that is one continues story. Even then HP movies were given they own spin as well and weren't 100% loyal to books.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard