Is serialization the best idea for sci-fi right now?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Is serialization the best idea for sci-fi right now?

Post by Yukaphile »

No, really. Think about it. Back in the day, you had TNG, DS9, SG-1, ReBoot, and so many more others could probably name that I don't know about (X-files or something?). Nowadays, in the wake of Babylon 5 and its roaring critical success, you got all sci-fi in the universe being made into a serialized show, no doubt thinking cynically that will bring more sophistication. Now that has a few strengths, like in the case of JMS, it was one man's singular vision, and he was very competent, so of course it was good, and Season 1 was of comparable quality to the other shows of the time, which is astounding. I find that intelligence to be something rare, however, especially in a collaborative team effort, and in today's hyperconnected and supercorporatized environment more than ever, that's a BAD idea. It ensures, like we have seen with something like Discovery, that even if you have a few good ideas to build up to within Season 1, and you give people a soft reboot, that in the end because it had a weak foundation, you can never escape it, you are more tied to the hip of that blase premise than if you had an episodic format, and that rabid fans are just going to never let the show live it down even past what fans normally did before, because the Internet amplifies this stuff, social media is everywhere, and it NEVER lets you forget it, and does not forgive it. Again, I ain't even bashing DISCO here, since I have never seen it, and I've finally come to the middle ground, though for the longest time I couldn't see the post-2009 Klingons as anything but twin-dicked, gray-skinned insane tribal stereotype people. Now that's Season 1, I can pretend it never happened, and Season 2 is a lot better (which I have already admitted!) Again, not bashing DISCO. But I am pointing out how this is an approach in today's world that demands a higher level of writer sophistication, especially among teams, that I don't think CAN work in today's greed-fueled entertainment landscape and that to be frank, I don't think they could ever pull off, even at the height of visual sci-fi engagement. B5 was an exception. It was written by one man with a clear vision and an approach that would ensure it never went off course. I think today's approach is a mistake. Hell, as I said on YouTube, there is something to be said for a somewhat episodic approach that is still layered in continuity. I think DS9 did this well, and should be the gold standard. But what do you guys think?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Re: Is serialization the best idea for sci-fi right now?

Post by Admiral X »

Serialization allows for more complex story-telling, and can incentivize the audience to keep watching. It can also make it harder to an audience to get into it and follow along if they weren't there from the start, or miss any episodes. Which is why I personally like a mix.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Over all serialization is more to my taste than episodic. It was B5 that you mentioned that introduced me to serialized sci-fi shows and making me fall in love it whole idea. No longer episodes were no longer stand alone and what happened in episode mattered for over all story arc.

I must admit that it's also why I am no longer as much ST fan as I used to be. I have started to demand continues story arcs over episodes that don't matter and in anime community would be considered filler.

It's also reason why I feel that those 80's toy cartoons no longer hold up compared to modern incarnations of those.

So really I am biased when it comes to this topic and I am not shamed to admit it.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

It can lead to more complex storytelling, certainly... but are modern studios in a late-capitalist society capable of it? Hell, I don't even think the DS9 writing team would be at their peak. B5 I held up as the standard because it was one man's vision, nothing more. Same way that outside the context of Legends, those are the original six Star Wars movies.

As for anime, that's a mixed bag. Yeah, something like Yu Yu Hakusho is absolutely serialized, but it's also being adapted from a manga series that has pulled ahead, so they have an ace in the hole, unlike for sci-fi writers who are not adapting a book series. They have to make up stuff from scratch, which is a LOT harder than it looks, trust me. I say that as a fanfiction writer. And I have unlimited leisure time. Those in charge have deadlines.

Take something like MGLN, which I hear was not adapted from a manga, and you get all the weird early stuff I've cited elsewhere.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:11 pm It can lead to more complex storytelling, certainly... but are modern studios in a late-capitalist society capable of it?
You don't watch much Netflix, do you? Their whole schtick is serialization, they just release the whole serial all at once.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I only watch older, licensed media off Netflix. I've heard stuff, though... like how in the new "horror" reboot of Sabrina (I call it cynical pandering in an attempt to emulate Game of Thrones, and here's why) Sabrina is invited to either "get in or get out" of an orgy... a sixteen-year-old girl, and this is marketed towards younger girls, OMG...
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about Star Trek having been serialized. Overall I've seen a good amount of serialized narratives that I like and that's pretty much my take. It's a new thing, and can be very gripping.

I liked the X-Files government serial. I think Breaking Bad dates House of Cards as far as how early Netflix got involved.
..What mirror universe?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Yukaphile wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:14 pm I only watch older, licensed media off Netflix. I've heard stuff, though... like how in the new "horror" reboot of Sabrina (I call it cynical pandering in an attempt to emulate Game of Thrones, and here's why) Sabrina is invited to either "get in or get out" of an orgy... a sixteen-year-old girl, and this is marketed towards younger girls, OMG...
1) It's actually a LOT lighter and hopeful than GoT or most recent TV, for that matter. It's also much better written and paced. Mercy nuking the show's setting actually ISN'T the most satisfying outcome possible, for once.
2) She IS part of a coven of bonified, genuine, Satanic, WITCHES (and warlocks). Their version of Thanksgiving involves cannibalism. Their MO is supposed to be freaky and unsettling, that's where the horror comes from.
3) Where was it marketed to teens? They have never hidden the fact that this thing is a flipping freak show.

It may not be for you (don't blame you if it isn't), but it's actually pretty good.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

A lot of serialized format also tends to be pretty excessive.

There was another show that had 13 episodes per season and generally brought mature themes all over the screen. It was a little show called The Sopranos. There wasn't much like it before on commonly accessible television. A lot of people were drawn to the unbarred content and the appeal just tended to be a marketable trend.
..What mirror universe?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:14 am A lot of serialized format also tends to be pretty excessive.

There was another show that had 13 episodes per season and generally brought mature themes all over the screen. It was a little show called The Sopranos. There wasn't much like it before on commonly accessible television. A lot of people were drawn to the unbarred content and the appeal just tended to be a marketable trend.
And like many others that came after it, it's ending was pure junk.