I need help to reconfigure the Stargate devices (fanfiction discussion)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

I need help to reconfigure the Stargate devices (fanfiction discussion)

Post by Yukaphile »

Yeah, if I posted this in my actual thread, nobody would read it, or care. Anyway, how do I reconfigure the Stargate devices so they were always meant for travel between other realities (foldspace iterations) to fulfill the Alterans' ancient role as Gatekeepers of the Belkan Empire? My tentative theory is that there is a molecular-thin plasma filament strung through the matter stream being flung between locations, acting as a tether, but... how does that help? I'm thinking mainly of how a solar flare sent SG-1 back in time to 1969. And solar flares are really just ejected plasma masses. But, and I hate to ask this because of my long experience with Trek, does plasma have "frequencies?" One idea I am toying with is that if you "vibrate" the plasma filament enough, then it opens up to the other foldspace iterations. But again, how does that work? Help?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Simplicius
Officer

Re: I need help to reconfigure the Stargate devices (fanfiction discussion)

Post by Simplicius »

Anything you do will have to be based on a contrivance, so why not just keep it simple and use the "omega" particles? It can be your standard answer for basically anything. The best kind of techno-babble would be, I guess, to imply some kind of quantum entanglement linking each Stargate to another (no matter what "foldspace iteration" it occupies).

So, the mechanism would be exciting one particle and its pair (in whatever reality) would trigger its own Stargate to activate.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Because the Q did not build the Stargates. The Alterans, the reborn Xel'naga of the doomed fifth iteration, did, and then changed it all.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Again, would a molecular-thin plasma filament strung through the interior of the wormhole have frequencies and vibrations?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

A plasma doesn't have a frequency, but a vibration in the plasma could. Think of a gas - a gas doesn't have a frequency, but sound can move in a gas, and that's a set of vibrations and has frequencies.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oooooh! So plenty of potential. And yeah, while your spiel in the other thread was confusing, I plan to tie this into perhaps string vibrations. It is the foundation for what this universe is built on. What about a plasma filament being strung into a black hole within the Stargate?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

You can't use a stargate to run plasma through a black hole. The stargate converts the matter to energy and the energy is reconstituted into matter by the destination gate, or ends up as randomized matter if the gates are shut down early.

If you mean sitting a black hole within the gate itself and running a filament of plasma, no, can't do that either. The black hole would tear apart the filament with tidal forces, and the energy released as the plasma compresses axially into the black hole would probably blow the plasma away.

I mean, you can, because it's science fiction and you could say the gate is stabilizing it somehow. Have Carter start to explain it and O'Neill cut her off.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hmmmm. One idea I'd had is that since the gate is basically a giant superconductor of energy, instead charge it up with plasma, of a specific kind, as a way to set the destination. How would that work?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Well, plasma isn't energy. There will normally be energy in it, the same way there is energy in a hot gas, but usually more because plasma is often hotter.

As far as how that would work, if the gate was designed to absorb the heat from the plasma as energy and accept that as affecting its dialing, as a kind of secret key to the multiverse, sure.

There is a canonical way in that a later season of Stargate SG-1 (I think the last season) has the stream between gates being deflected around a black hole, and that let them cross to other universes.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

So, just charge it up with plasma. Cool. What types should I use? Remember there are six foldspace membranes in the larger foldspace universe. And within one, it's literal time travel, between the Star Wars realm (3,000,000,000 years in the past and light-years away), and the Star Trek galaxy (in the 24th century).