How would you have done the Star Wars sequel trilogy?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: How would you have done the Star Wars sequel trilogy?

Post by Yukaphile »

@MithrandirOlorin You are seriously missing out if you have not read the Darth Bane novels. All we got in Rebels was just a watered-down monstrosity... thing. That's not who Bane is at all.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Admiral X wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:16 am How would people have felt about a protagonist who was not a Jedi or Force sensitive, but was basically another Solo type?
It would surely had been different than what we have used to that's for sure. After all Star Wars tends to be very Force sensitive centric with others rarely getting chance to shine. Which is one of reasons why I like Rogue One so much.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

I choose option 3) Set it 500 years after RotJ, so its not bound at the hip to the OT
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Admiral X wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:16 am How would people have felt about a protagonist who was not a Jedi or Force sensitive, but was basically another Solo type?
I would be fine with that. I think SW works best when the Force is a low-key feature of the universe. It binds everything together, but it shouldn't take center stage.
G-Man wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:59 pm I forgot - Rose Tico's "Save what we love" instead of "killing what we hate" line would be a lot more powerful if she stopped Finn from destroying Phasma in order to make certain they get back to their friends with vital information they need to escape the supernova; basically, if he gets his revenge he will reveal his location and they will die, and their friends will be doomed, but if he forgoes his revenge he can save his friends.
That would have at least made sense. Her "heroic acts are for suckers, I'd rather try to kill the person I'm trying to save to keep them from saving all the other people he cares about" move while claiming to "save what we love" was such a convoluted, self-defeating moment with no comeuppance for it...
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I woulda made Han Solo more smart and impressive.
Power laces... alright.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

In short: Actually make sure Episode IX is a sequel tp Episode VIII.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

MrL1992 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 am In short: Actually make sure Episode IX is a sequel tp Episode VIII.
That's impossible though.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 pm
I would be fine with that. I think SW works best when the Force is a low-key feature of the universe. It binds everything together, but it shouldn't take center stage.
G-Man wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:59 pm I forgot - Rose Tico's "Save what we love" instead of "killing what we hate" line would be a lot more powerful if she stopped Finn from destroying Phasma in order to make certain they get back to their friends with vital information they need to escape the supernova; basically, if he gets his revenge he will reveal his location and they will die, and their friends will be doomed, but if he forgoes his revenge he can save his friends.
That would have at least made sense. Her "heroic acts are for suckers, I'd rather try to kill the person I'm trying to save to keep them from saving all the other people he cares about" move while claiming to "save what we love" was such a convoluted, self-defeating moment with no comeuppance for it...
Rose's comeuppance would appear to be the friendzone.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:47 pm
MrL1992 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:51 am In short: Actually make sure Episode IX is a sequel tp Episode VIII.
That's impossible though.
Not for any decent writer that doesn't struggle without 'mystery boxes'.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I wouldn't have done a flight battle at the start of the first movie. A cluster of impressive confrontations sure, maybe even with the Falcon, but you have to use racing scenes after you establish stakes for the character, and that wasn't it chief.
Power laces... alright.