Sci-Fi & Fantasy Tropes You Hate But Everyone Else Loves

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Sci-Fi & Fantasy Tropes You Hate But Everyone Else Loves

Post by PapaPalpatine »

What tropes do you detest but seem to be popular with everyone else?
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Sci-Fi & Fantasy Tropes You Hate But Everyone Else Loves

Post by Deledrius »

PapaPalpatine wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:32 am What tropes do you detest but seem to be popular with everyone else?
"Screw you for liking things" is one I wish would disappear.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:31 pm
PapaPalpatine wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:32 am What tropes do you detest but seem to be popular with everyone else?
"Screw you for liking things" is one I wish would disappear.
I don't get it.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I think the biggest general sci-fi one that comes to mind is "The Earth is in peril!", especially in the recent Star Trek films. There's a whole galaxy to care about, with many established worlds. The post-9/11 apocalypse situation is tiresome. Even more broadly, the "we must stop X or else the world (Earth or otherwise) is destroyed!" really should be used more sparingly than it is. It's the least interesting possible threat, but also the easiest because it's dead simple to write. You don't have to explain why it's bad. :p
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

The victorious war against the alien invaders. It doesn't ruin a work for me, but I've seen the equivalent of the Spanish Armada defeating the U.S. navy too often. It can get some justification (the Goa'uld didn't develop their own technology and are limited in its application, the Martians have no concept of earth germs, and the people invading Pandora couldn't launch an all-out attack for political reasons) and that helps it go down. But when the plucky human underdogs win against an enemy that want to Kill All Humans but can't...

Of course, seeing the aliens defeat the pitiful earthlings isn't a lot of fun, either.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The main characters have known each other for such a short amount of time it's amazing they can remember each other's names, but they've paired off into romantic couples anyway.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Women wearing armour that leaves their tits and ass completely undefended. And to a lesser extent ''warrior women trained from birth'' who go into battle with long hair and make-up.

Also...

Women who are basically men, implying that a ''strong woman'' is in fact just a woman who has discarded every trace of femininity. For example, Sarah Connor in Terminator 2 was a tough woman. Grace in Dark Fate was a man.

Both tropes are sexist and both tropes seem immune to death.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 pm I think the biggest general sci-fi one that comes to mind is "The Earth is in peril!", especially in the recent Star Trek films. There's a whole galaxy to care about, with many established worlds. The post-9/11 apocalypse situation is tiresome. Even more broadly, the "we must stop X or else the world (Earth or otherwise) is destroyed!" really should be used more sparingly than it is. It's the least interesting possible threat, but also the easiest because it's dead simple to write. You don't have to explain why it's bad. :p
Your "more broadly" seems to be referring to what Chuck calls "eggshell cosmos." I agree.

More specifically, the more serious the threat, the bigger and more important the story ought to be. One-off and throwaway episodes are not the right place to put the entire universe in peril; it simply detracts from the more story-important, long-term threats. The Dominion War or the Borg invasion are pretty insignificant if ol' Lazarus from The Alternative Factor can destroy the entire universe trying to kill his "good" twin.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

When Aliens invade Earth they always attack USA like rest of world doesn't exist. Also when they do attack entire world it's still always Americans that save the day.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Mecha82 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:22 pm When Aliens invade Earth they always attack USA like rest of world doesn't exist. Also when they do attack entire world it's still always Americans that save the day.
Unless it's Doctor Who. Then for some reason it's always London or Cardiff. :p