Where is the logic in this?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Where is the logic in this?

Post by Yukaphile »

Mecha82 had said he didn't think too many people were willing to accept a young Han Solo not played by Harrison Ford as part of the reason Solo failed. Well, I dunno... people generally seemed to accept Ewan McGregor as a young Obi-Wan, so where is the logic there? I don't get this. Discuss?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Where is the logic in this?

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Because nobody cared about who young OB1 Kenobi is.
Power laces... alright.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I actually resisted seeing Solo for a long time because I didn't want to learn anything about young Solo.
If the movie had just been about a collection of original characters doing crimes in the Star Wars universe I would have been more willing to see it initially and would like it more now.

I don't like prequels. They do a lot to dispel mystery in a character, rather than moving forward they retread. They do not grow a mythos, they only serve to fill in blank spots that were not worth filling in.

If you are given an entire galaxy to work with, your first impulse should be to make something new.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Because the age gap was a lot smaller. This dude in Solo had a decade to somehow morph into Harrison Ford and I can't buy it.

Though their Lando was believable, I'll like to see a spin off about how he became the leader of Sky City.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think perhaps that might be the best answer given. There is more wriggle room for Obi-Wan than there was for Han Solo, especially in an era where we see that deepfaking is getting better than ever. And while very few if any might have known about it in the 1990s, if they didn't now, they sure as hell found out in Rogue One. So they know the technology is available, but those in charge are too cheap to use it past what amounts to a cameo.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Just because technology is there doesn't mean that end result is good. Way Tarkin and young Leia were added in to Rogue One didn't look right.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've seen the clips, and I have no issues with them. :shock:
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The only real problem with Solo

is its written that Han is the tight of guy who doesn't abandon his friends

which pretty much dispels his whole Jerk/ In it for me spilles in a New hope since Han coming back is suppose to be him for once caring about something bigger than himself

Solo makes Han a Jerk with a heart of Gold from the get go that him doing anything like turn tail and save his own skin impossible

other then that... I liked it well enough, even has normal imperial infantry
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The main things against Solo was that it was a mediocre plot/story and the actor, though alright on his own, didn't quite measure up. That's really understandable considering everything that surrounds Harrison Ford as Han Solo in a bubble, which doesn't really ever start to describe Alec Guinness and Ben Kenobi at all.
Power laces... alright.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

A few things. I have not sat through this entire movie yet. I did not go to theater as I was trying to show my opinion of the way things are going with SW with my money. Finally I broke down and bought it. The scene where he met Chewie was great and felt natural and fit with the hinted at story of Han rescuing him. Thumbs up there.
But the rest I was seeing did not feel like Han Solo to me. It was a good hero character and good origin for a potentially cool character. If it had been its own Star Wars movie I would have loved it fine. But it was focused on being Han Solo and I felt it missed the mark.
Why care about a young Han Solo. . Because he is the focus. Young Obi Wan is a character in a greater story. One is about the time period and one is about the man. So harder to be kind.