Sailor Moon

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Sailor Moon

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Remember that shit?

I have hazy memories of the early episodes from the 6:30AM time slot before I got ready for school, back when I was young enough that I felt embarassed about watching a show where the main character was a GIRL. I have some slightly-less-hazy memories of watching later seasons and sailor moon movies on Toonami.

Watching it with my partner now, in the original Japanese, and holy gremplork this is GOOD STUFF!! Comedy, character arcs, and some real emotional whump in the big finales. Some genuinely creepy monsters and fun character design. Plus holy shit Season 3 is SO GAY. Wonderfully gay. No more fiddling around with subtext and rarepair ships anymore.

Do you remember it from the first time around? Did you discover it on the re-release? Who is your favorite Sailor Scout?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Re: Sailor Moon

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 pm Remember that shit?

I have hazy memories of the early episodes from the 6:30AM time slot before I got ready for school, back when I was young enough that I felt embarassed about watching a show where the main character was a GIRL. I have some slightly-less-hazy memories of watching later seasons and sailor moon movies on Toonami.

Watching it with my partner now, in the original Japanese, and holy gremplork this is GOOD STUFF!! Comedy, character arcs, and some real emotional whump in the big finales. Some genuinely creepy monsters and fun character design. Plus holy shit Season 3 is SO GAY. Wonderfully gay. No more fiddling around with subtext and rarepair ships anymore.

Do you remember it from the first time around? Did you discover it on the re-release? Who is your favorite Sailor Scout?
Just before my time. Yu Yu Hakusho and The Big O were my anime of choice. But I HAVE seen bits of the redub and it's been fun. I'm so glad they rectified that mess with Uranus & Neptune. Freaking cousins, who thought that would work?
Last edited by ProfessorDetective on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Senators from Alabama maybe?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:00 pm Senators from Alabama maybe?
Damned if I know.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Myself, I'm a hardcore Makoto/Jupiter fan.
Edvarius
Officer

Post by Edvarius »

Do I have to pick a favorite? There are so many good ones! Usagi is funny and adorable, Ami is an absolute sweetheart, Rei is fiery in more ways than one, Makoto is a precious cinnamon roll who can kill you, and Minako has some serious drama hidden beneath her hilarious and more than occasionally pervy exterior.

I just got the discs for R's new dub, and I have every intention of enjoying them.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I'm sad that the original English dub is not getting an official release. It may offend purists but there were some real comedy gems in the localization and superb voice acting. My weeby partner hates the new English VAs.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

I had Nostalgia for the old Dub once, but the Viz voices have slowly become the definitive voices in my head.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Its been years and there's still no release for the uncut dub in the UK. Toei Europe really really suck at their job.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Yeah well you guys have national healthcare instead. Life is full of trade-offs.