Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
tyrteg
Officer

Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by tyrteg »

Hail OverlordDVD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQ91PaWr3g

I know it's just rumors right now but it's about damn time things started turning around in 2020. And seeing Kennedy and Johnson kicked out to the curb and Star Wars Returning to it's glory with Lucas would definitely make me happy for the rest of the year no matter what other horrors it brings. We tried the "Woke Way" - now let's do it the "Right Way."
TGLS
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by TGLS »

Again?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Meh. Woke is one of those words that doesn't actually mean anything. I bet I could survey a hundred people and get a hundred descriptions.

And I have to say, the Prequels were hardly masterpieces. If you love them, great, and I mean that sincerely, but the fandom seems to have gone from ''Lucas ruined Star Wars'' to ''Lucas is the saviour of Star Wars'' in quite a swift amount of time. Personally, what I think would save Star Wars is actually getting some new blood on board with some genuinely fresh ideas and writing talent.
tyrteg
Officer

Post by tyrteg »

Right now it's just a rumor. But if it becomes more than just a rumor it'll make a lot of people (including me obviously) very happy. I just wanted to share it here for those readers or lurkers of SFDebris forums who haven't heard about it. Feel free to watch the video and make your own mind. I'm not going to argue for or defend it this time - feel free to trash it to your heart's content if you feel so inclined. I'm just here to share a rumor and be cautiously optimistic.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

What exactly is "woke" to you?

Because it's doing gay, minority, and female characters as much as any.

It's always been chief on that.
tyrteg
Officer

Post by tyrteg »

Woke? Why let me give you some examples:

- Kathleen Kennedy proclaiming "Force is Female"
- "Batman suit will be perfect... when it fits a woman."
- The Charmed fighting Patriarchy.
- Alex Kurtzman saying the fans who don't like his Trek "didn't get the memo what Star Trek was always all about."
- gaming news trashing Kingdom Come Deliverance because you can only play as a man and there are no people of color in the game. (Surprising in 15th century Bohemia I know)
- Luke Skywalker being pointlessly and senselessly humiliated in Last Jedi to be torn down as a symbol of patriarchy.
- the very concept of Female Thor. It's the guy's name for God's sake!
- retconing Dr. Who so that now - the Doctor was originally a woman.
- Uzaki Chan being problematic but Snowflake and Safe Space being great superheroes.

Yeah I'll stop here.
Last edited by tyrteg on Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:09 am What exactly is "woke" to you?

What? No, seriously, what?

It took until 2009 for them to have a black princess movie. I think that's a few years after it stopped being unusual for black people to be protagonists. They whitewashed the story of Pocahantas as hard as they could (including making her fall in love, rather than, y'know, being a child and a kidnap victim).

Disney has never had a gay protagonist, they've avoided having LGBT minor characters as much as possible, and any hint they have one is always included very, very briefly so it's easily cut for international markets. In a film company famous for romances, mind you - so another romance would hardly be unusual. They even deleted a scene from Thor 3 that suggested Valkyrie might be bisexual (apparently very obliquely - a woman walked out of her room).

I don't know what definition of "woke" people are using, but I think some people are mainlining pure fucking stupid. Disney will take whatever stance jeopardizes their profits the least, and dollars from bigots spend as well as dollars from everyone else.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

GreyICE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:29 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:09 am What exactly is "woke" to you?

What? No, seriously, what?

It took until 2009 for them to have a black princess movie. I think that's a few years after it stopped being unusual for black people to be protagonists. They whitewashed the story of Pocahantas as hard as they could (including making her fall in love, rather than, y'know, being a child and a kidnap victim).

Disney has never had a gay protagonist, they've avoided having LGBT minor characters as much as possible, and any hint they have one is always included very, very briefly so it's easily cut for international markets. In a film company famous for romances, mind you - so another romance would hardly be unusual. They even deleted a scene from Thor 3 that suggested Valkyrie might be bisexual (apparently very obliquely - a woman walked out of her room).

I don't know what definition of "woke" people are using, but I think some people are mainlining pure fucking stupid. Disney will take whatever stance jeopardizes their profits the least, and dollars from bigots spend as well as dollars from everyone else.
Couple of points:

* Aladdin

* Disney now has a gay led animated series. It just came out.

* Disney was also a group boycotted by Southern Baptists for their refusal to disavow gay pride at Disneyland parades in the 90s.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

tyrteg wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:26 am- the very concept of Female Thor. It's the guy's name for God's sake!
I'm just going to point out that this point is only made by non-fans. "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." That's the rules.

Wielders have included a short-lived "Thunderstrike" who got his own title, Beta Ray Bill, Captain America, and Bor, and a common gag is that after some big fight an EMT or firefighter hands Thor his hammer (having not realized that you're not supposed to be able to lift that). For people following comics, it was actually set off by a very good storyline where Thor becomes unworthy to wield the hammer thanks to Nick Fury (he whispered something in Thor's ear), and has to go on a journey of self-discovery to redefine himself, eventually leading to King Thor we have today.

But then again, most people who natter on about "woke" aren't big on reading.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

@tyrteg What is the right way?