Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes are the best Science Fiction Anime

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes are the best Science Fiction Anime

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

First allow me to clarify what I mean by that, they may not quite be the best Anime that can be classified as Science Fiction, but they are the best Anime to watch specifically as Hard Science Fiction. As such they should have been among the first Anime that SFDebris watched and talked about, as is I hope someone gets them on his Queue eventually.

Both shows are adaptations of Visual Novels, and technically in the same Universe but that fact is not relevant to either at any point. Steins;Gate 0 I do not recommend as highly as the original but it still has it's moments. Both shows are among those Anime where the only remotely legitimate criticisms they could get are as Adaptations, issues that would not matter to someone just watching the Anime on it's own.

Both also have top tier Dubs. Many purest complaint about Steins;Gate changing certain Otaku references to more western Nerdy references, those are the people looking at it first and foremost as an Otaku Pride show, but it is actually Science Fiction first and foremost, as a show that is among the best Science Fiction Anime has to offer and in my opinion the best Time Travel story period in any medium, I don't mind the localization throwing's in fun Easter eggs for Trekkies.

Robotics;Notes is the lesser known of the two and so the one I'm most going to get into here, in fact I know this Forum already has Stiens;Gate fans.

The Mecha Anime genre has had a number of shows that have been called Deconstructions, Robotics;Notes however is the Reconstruction. It is in many way more Realistic then either the Super Robot or Real Robot Genres usually are, but it is still ultimately a love letter to the Genre. In some ways I feel similar to what Chuck likes about Galaxy Quest.

The first interesting thing about it is the setting. Most Mecha shows are set over a century into the future. This show however is on the Gregorian Calendar set in the past as i currently type this, the show came out in 2012. So it's kind of our first glimpse of a world where Giant Robot technology is just starting. Much of the show doesn't feel futurististic at all.

Another thing that's brilliant about the show is it's escalation. Early on it was already something I figured I'd recommend here as interesting. But it then builds and builds to the point where it had me crying.

I think this show didn't take as big as Steins;Gate did mainly because it never got as dark as that show could get, and in 2012 Dark was still in the in trend. In our modern climate of people raging every time a DC project has a darker color pallet then the Wizard of Oz and that Sonic movie being a surprise hit, I think this show is ready for a second look.
Last edited by MithrandirOlorin on Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes are the best Science Fiction Anime

Occultic;Nine was also good but not as great.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

The show had a good Christmas episode too.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

One thing that makes Steins;Gate interesting as SciFi is I feel they were trying to actually capture the vibe of what being an Armature Scientist is like, doing experiments without the funding of a government or corporation.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

Steins;Gate is an amazing show! I also recommend it to any SF fan.

Steins;Gate 0 had an interesting premise but did not hold my attention, though technically it's still on my watchlist. My impression is that this follow-on show does *not* taste more like regular Dr. Pepper. XD

The 5pb/NitroPlus Semi;Colon shows before Steins;Gate are not that interesting. Chaos;Head in particular is a show that starts fairly strong but is a complete waste of time in the end.

I may still give Robotics;Notes a try. I hope it's as good as advertised, I'd hate for Steins;Gate to only be a flash in the pan.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

PerrySimm wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:07 pm Steins;Gate is an amazing show! I also recommend it to any SF fan.

Steins;Gate 0 had an interesting premise but did not hold my attention, though technically it's still on my watchlist. My impression is that this follow-on show does *not* taste more like regular Dr. Pepper. XD

The 5pb/NitroPlus Semi;Colon shows before Steins;Gate are not that interesting. Chaos;Head in particular is a show that starts fairly strong but is a complete waste of time in the end.

I may still give Robotics;Notes a try. I hope it's as good as advertised, I'd hate for Steins;Gate to only be a flash in the pan.
As far as Anime goes I thought only Chaso;Head came before Steins;Gate?