Superman to be cast with a black actor.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Superman to be cast with a black actor.

Post by Makeshift Python »

https://twitter.com/borys_kit/status/13 ... 5134543873

https://twitter.com/borys_kit/status/13 ... 3453011969

What's really great about this, whether it happens or not*, is that it's such a straightfoward litmus test for a person's racist attitudes.

Because there are zero reasons Superman can't be Black. Zero. Any objections are rooted in racism and should force the person making them to do some hard, sober reflecting.

And JJ Abrams is producing it!

I’m ready for the internet meltdown!!

TGLS
Captain

Re: Superman to be cast with a black actor.

Post by TGLS »

Makeshift Python wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:53 pm And JJ Abrams is producing it!

I’m ready for the internet meltdown!!

As long as he doesn't do a shot-for-shot remake of 1976 Superman.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

This is likely to fall on deaf ears, but I'll leave my thoughts anyway.

I have no issues with a black Superman, in a vacuum. Unlike SWL vs. DSWC, DC is well-known for its infamous multiple universes and alternate continuities. I think it's absolutely more done to favor the PC slant and SJW themes, being heavy-handed, and to fulfill those blue checkmarks, but it could still be a good story. I mean, H, Mr. Fishburne as Superman is pure win, IMO. I'd love Mr. Fishburne as a live-action black Superman.

But my concern is that to even observe this is being done to hit those blue checkmarks and hip poor writing to PC culture themes is gonna get you labeled racist. Nothing is ever enough for the woke left.

And my larger, overarching question is... does this black Superman replace the the main-line Superman? Is that what we're doing? Are all stories featuring Kal-El just gonna be dropped? Unlikely, but if that is our future, then I don't support that. There should be room for both to coexist. Also please note that a black Batwoman isn't helping that show. The ratings are abysmal. Who thinks they're gonna really get a third season? I don't.

Ah, but I'm just "both-sidesing" things. Silly me. :lol:
Makeshift Python
Captain

Two words with a hyphen, Crimson:

Multi-verse.

All Superman is canon. Cavill didn’t invalidate Reeve, just as (whoever) won’t invalidate Cavill.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Makeshift Python wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:06 pm Two words with a hyphen, Crimson:

Multi-verse.

All Superman is canon. Cavill didn’t invalidate Reeve, just as (whoever) won’t invalidate Cavill.
I was more so referring to stories with Kal-El being dropped. As I had said, there should be room for both to coexist and I literally just stated that up above.

Unlikely, but surely possible.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but nothing about the news confirmed anything about Superman being played by a black actor.

Though I would love to see a Spider-Verse type film except with Superman so we can see this guy in live action.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:09 pm
Makeshift Python wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:06 pm Two words with a hyphen, Crimson:

Multi-verse.

I was more so referring to stories with Kal-El being dropped. As I had said, there should be room for both to coexist and I literally just stated that up above.

Unlikely, but surely possible.
There’s a Superman show that just premiered, so there’s your answer
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

No joke, there is really only 1 character I can't see being cast as a non-white actor, I wrote a thing about it.
https://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/2016 ... ntity.html

That being said, I wish they would start colorblind casting characters like Superman, those that have already appeared multiple times in their traditional white incarnation.

Apparently Will Smith was seriously considered for the role 20 years ago, but the racist reaction to him being in "Wild Wild West" convinced him not to take the part, which is a damn shame because the easy going charisma of Smith who is also good at selling the, "I am a man apart and lonely" angle would have made for a good presentation of the character.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:33 pm Apparently Will Smith was seriously considered for the role 20 years ago, but the racist reaction to him being in "Wild Wild West" convinced him not to take the part, which is a damn shame because the easy going charisma of Smith who is also good at selling the, "I am a man apart and lonely" angle would have made for a good presentation of the character.
True story, a couple of days ago I was looking over films that were coming out this year and I saw the title for a upcoming film called King Richard and I clicked on it thinking it was about Richard III. The story has apparently nothing to do with Shakespeare's Richard but the first thing I saw was an image of Will Smith and I thought to myself "Hm, you know, I could totally see Smith as Richard."

Sure, it might have be moved out of history but the original play was a propaganda piece meant to making the then current leaders look bad by demonizing their rivals so I would be okay with it still being set in history. But Smith could pull this character off. Richard has to be charismatic, intimidating and finally near Melancholia and Smith can pull all of that off. This such a perfect fit I'm honestly surprised no one has ever thought of it before.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I guess I'll wait and see how it goes. J.J. Abrams being involved isn't really a positive thing for me though he is just producing.