Falcon and the Winter Soldier

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Okay, so apparently this show did really good with its first episode, but as far as I can tell, D+ doesn't even put a view count on their videos, so who's to say how many people actually watched it?

Also they don't allow any type of comments section, so don't know what that tells you about their views on censorship.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The point of Disney+ is subscriptions not viewers.

It's there to watch at any point they want. I'm also sure they do know who watches it, they don't share it.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:13 am The point of Disney+ is subscriptions not viewers.

It's there to watch at any point they want. I'm also sure they do know who watches it, they don't share it.
Yeah they're hiding those too!
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

In any case, I'm amused by the fact that so many people argued that the bank loan and Party City Captain America thing wasn't motivated by racism only for this episode to hammer home that racism is a daily part of our heroes' lives with the government.

I wonder if anyone has changed their opinion now.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

Anybody else annoyed they keep Worfing Bucky. I mean, in The Winter Soldier he was a beast that only Steve could fight one on one with. Then Civil War happened and I was ok with him getting beat by Spidey and Black Panther since Black Panther is supposed to be roughly equal with Cap and him in terms of powers and Spider-Man is a guy who can throw cars around so of course he'd be stronger than him. Now they show him getting his ass kicked by flagsmasher and have Isaiah Bradley say he whipped his ass in Korea and I'm just thinking, "Why the fuck did Hydra keep this guy around for all those years when literally everyone with a super soldier serum or other powers keep kicking his ass?"
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

About that loan scene, I was annoyed about it not because it was the cliché black guy can't a loan thing but because if there is like one black guy in America post blip that a bank would jump on the opportunity to loan money too, its Captain America's black best friend. One, the publicity for the bank would be great, they probably would profit off the publicity alone. Two, if they deny him a loan, realistically Sam could make it a nightmare for them on social media. Hell, I'm confused why Sam doesn't try a gofundme page or other crowdfunding thing. If it's a pride thing, the show needs to show it and not rely on us inferring it.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Beelzquill wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:55 am Anybody else annoyed they keep Worfing Bucky. I mean, in The Winter Soldier he was a beast that only Steve could fight one on one with. Then Civil War happened and I was ok with him getting beat by Spidey and Black Panther since Black Panther is supposed to be roughly equal with Cap and him in terms of powers and Spider-Man is a guy who can throw cars around so of course he'd be stronger than him. Now they show him getting his ass kicked by flagsmasher and have Isaiah Bradley say he whipped his ass in Korea and I'm just thinking, "Why the fuck did Hydra keep this guy around for all those years when literally everyone with a super soldier serum or other powers keep kicking his ass?"
Bucky is not in a great headspace while the Winter Soldier was a pure machine of killing intent ala the Terminator. Bucky will hold back and not kill people, which is a good thing since the Flag Smashers seem to be superpowered college activists versus terrorists.
Beelzquill wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:04 am About that loan scene, I was annoyed about it not because it was the cliché black guy can't a loan thing but because if there is like one black guy in America post blip that a bank would jump on the opportunity to loan money too, its Captain America's black best friend. One, the publicity for the bank would be great, they probably would profit off the publicity alone. Two, if they deny him a loan, realistically Sam could make it a nightmare for them on social media. Hell, I'm confused why Sam doesn't try a gofundme page or other crowdfunding thing. If it's a pride thing, the show needs to show it and not rely on us inferring it.
My friend Kyle from Louisiana said, "They could probably have gotten a loan from any other state in the Union but not the one where David Duke was almost elected Governor. Only they would have a selfie then deny the loan to a black Avenger."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Double Toasted - a mostly all-black review channel - often notes just how much they are starting to get sick of all of these oppression storylines. One of the reasons they loved Black Panther so much is because it was just black people doing badass shit. But here they just had to cram in some more ''white people are nasty'' stuff even though it makes no sense that someone would treat an Avenger that way. ''The Black Hero is Discriminated Against'' would be trending on Twitter within 24 hours in real life.

And yeah, Bucky has been well and truly Worfed.
Aezetyr
Redshirt

Post by Aezetyr »

On the Worfing of Bucky: Has that really happened? Or is he trained as an assassin, and not a toe-to-toe fighter? If you look back at Cap 2, he constantly repositioned himself to have advantage for a single shot. His flashbacks are the same. When he goes one on one, or so on, he gets his butt kicked because that's not his training. Sure if he spent some time in the ring learning how to box, it would help. He looked badass in Infinity War because he had an army with him. He's not going to take on more than 1 foe at a time, that's not how he was trained.

On Racism: It's a story that needs to be told and framed in many ways. Systemic racism exists, and if you're not part of the racial majority, it doesn't matter who you are (an Avenger or someone just trying to get a simple bank loan), it's going to affect you. It's inhumane, sick and it needs to stop. Shows with a built-in audience like F+WS have a HUGE platform to showcase these stories. White people being evil to Black people is a powerful and easily understandable story to tell for the general population. We also need to understand the perception/perspective of the Double Toasted people - while it does seem like there are a lot of these stories out there now, would they rather the stories not be told at all, or that there are not enough? What else are they watching that their audience are not watching, and at what point does it become an echo chamber?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:52 am Double Toasted - a mostly all-black review channel - often notes just how much they are starting to get sick of all of these oppression storylines. One of the reasons they loved Black Panther so much is because it was just black people doing badass shit. But here they just had to cram in some more ''white people are nasty'' stuff even though it makes no sense that someone would treat an Avenger that way. ''The Black Hero is Discriminated Against'' would be trending on Twitter within 24 hours in real life.

And yeah, Bucky has been well and truly Worfed.
The co-lead is white so what are you on about again?

FYI - the writers are black too.

(wonders if clearspira will now argue about their agenda)