Unification vs Generations

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Unification vs Generations

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'm curious if anyone has any specific difference of regard for these two crossovers. Generations was my first exposure to TNG Trek and Unification is at the least one of the episodes that made me think post season 2 TNG is goat.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Unification vs Generations

Post by McAvoy »

Unification came first for me. I grew up watching TNG when it first aired. Though I was on the young side at the time like around 7 so I didn't really understand the importance of it.

Generations I saw in the theaters and Kirk's death was a gut punch. So much that I did enjoy Shatner's books after that. Also the E-D being destroyed hurt too.

Relics was something I enjoyed alot.
I got nothing to say here.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I haven't seen unification in a long time so I can't comment on that. Generations I saw as an adult rather than when it came out and I was already spoiled that Kirk died and I was told by my godfather it was a crappy death so I had low expectations going in and I wasn't impressed. The one thing I remember from unification was that Sela was in it and the Romulans tried to invade a planet with 20,000 troops and I laughed at that because the concept of planetary scale rarely entered star trek to me.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:40 amRelics was something I enjoyed alot.
Actually that was what made me think of post season 2 that way.
Beelzquill wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:53 am I haven't seen unification in a long time so I can't comment on that. Generations I saw as an adult rather than when it came out and I was already spoiled that Kirk died and I was told by my godfather it was a crappy death so I had low expectations going in and I wasn't impressed. The one thing I remember from unification was that Sela was in it and the Romulans tried to invade a planet with 20,000 troops and I laughed at that because the concept of planetary scale rarely entered star trek to me.
Actually I have another post somewhere about how I used to think of the Romulans as a monolithic snob attitude KGB species, and unification is basically the episode where I did that.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Beelzquill wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:53 am I haven't seen unification in a long time so I can't comment on that. Generations I saw as an adult rather than when it came out and I was already spoiled that Kirk died and I was told by my godfather it was a crappy death so I had low expectations going in and I wasn't impressed. The one thing I remember from unification was that Sela was in it and the Romulans tried to invade a planet with 20,000 troops and I laughed at that because the concept of planetary scale rarely entered star trek to me.
The whole Romulan plot is just stupid. You are right, very small scale. Good luck trying to invade any European country with 20,000 troops let along a whole planet.

TNG did alot of things sma scale. Small fleets. 20 ships in Redemption was a big enough blockade for the Romulan even if spread out.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:55 am
The whole Romulan plot is just stupid. You are right, very small scale. Good luck trying to invade any European country with 20,000 troops let along a whole planet.

TNG did alot of things sma scale. Small fleets. 20 ships in Redemption was a big enough blockade for the Romulan even if spread out.
Yes I think Best of Both Worlds is underwhelming personally, with regard to what you're saying about small scale. The movies I think deliver on conflict much better than either the show or the TOS movies in general I think.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:19 am
McAvoy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:55 am

Yes I think Best of Both Worlds is underwhelming personally, with regard to what you're saying about small scale. The movies I think deliver on conflict much better than either the show or the TOS movies in general I think.
The first part is fine. The Borg are after Picard. The second part up to the Mars defense perimeter was fine. Mars defense sucked bad. We really don't know what those vessels were of they were even vessels to begin with.

But Wolf 359? I can buy that. They had like two days to assemble a task force to attack the cube. Assuming Starfleet has a fleet in the thousands and not the tens or hundreds of thousands I can see 40 ships being the best they can do at very short notice.

But that Mars defense ships? Absolutely pathetic. Granted, it was a limitation of effects and budget. You would think the the Mars defense would be a fleet of ships, some still incomplete and some in the middle of a refit on top of a regular fleet waiting to be refit to station keeping. And Utopia Plantia having its own defense too.

It even fits in a bit with DS9 and thd Dominion War.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

It's a big disappointment that they didn't like schedule Wolf 359 and DS9 writers in the same room for a time before overlapping stories happened.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:29 am It's a big disappointment that they didn't like schedule Wolf 359 and DS9 writers in the same room for a time before overlapping stories happened.
I think Best of Both Worlds Part 2 was pretty restricted with the limitations of SFX of TV shows at that time.

They had to make models out of commercial model kits to make the graveyard scene in Wolf 359.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Unification was one I always hated because I loved the Romulans and they never really did repeats of Balance of Terror where they go head to head with the Fed. At least the sneaky Rom episodes had some struggle, but besides that Unification was the opposite of what I wanted to see of a Rom episode as a kid.
Beelzquill wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:53 amThe one thing I remember from unification was that Sela was in it and the Romulans tried to invade a planet with 20,000 troops and I laughed at that because the concept of planetary scale rarely entered star trek to me.
Trek post-TOS tried its best to explain away changes in scale of warfare and failed. Even when little I rolled my eyes at le Forge saying something to the effect in the Q episode with the pigmen Napoleon soldiers that one guy with a phaser was the equivalent of an entire company or battalion of 20th Century soldiers.

Even at that age I knew that tech doesn't make up for boots on the ground. Hundreds of soldiers can do what one man cannot, like outflank and surround the poor bastard.

I can forgive the 20,000 soldiers, though. One could look on it depending upon the planet as the equivalent of a colonial action where even a few hundred sailors off of a ship could do a good amount of damage to an outclassed, unsupported opponent.