Loki Confirmed as Bisexual

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
phantom000
Captain

Loki Confirmed as Bisexual

Post by phantom000 »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/loki-bisexual-mcu-show/

I will admit I had mixed feelings about this, but I will say this was handled very well. I think you should never retcon a character's sexuality or gender but given that we never really saw much of Loki's character, its not really a retcon because its not as if it would not fit with what we have seen. Also, he doesn't just come out and say he is bisexual, his answer is kind of ambiguous which is what we would expect from his character.

So I think this is a good example of how to work stuff like this into the story without ruining the narrative or the character.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Loki Confirmed as Bisexual

Post by Madner Kami »

I'd like to point out, that Loki had 6 children whose names we know of. Hel (half-dead and half-alive goddess of Death), Jormungadr (the world serpent), Fenrir (a giant wolf who is destined to eat the moon) [all three with a female Jötun named Angrboda], Narfi and Vali (two otherwise humanoid beings) [both with Sigyn, a fellow Asgardian goddess] and Sleipnir, the eight-legged horse of Odin and he got that one through mating with Svathlifari, a stallion. Yes, you read that right, a stallion fucked Loki while he was in the form of a mare, got pregnant and birthed an eight-legged horse, as an undisclosed part of an attempt to cheat the builder of Valhalla's walls out of his wage.
Also Odin himself makes mention that Loki once served 8 years in the disguise of a human woman who milked cows and bore children, in an otherwise undisclosed story. So, yeah... Loki isn't bisexual. Loki is flat out pansexual and fucks everything and fucks as everything s/he feels like. Though it's somewhat up to debate if s/he gave itself to the stallion willingly or just was too slow to escape the mighty stallion that mounted the father of the serpent that mounts the world... :lol:
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:02 am I'd like to point out, that Loki had 6 children whose names we know of. Hel (half-dead and half-alive goddess of Death), Jormungadr (the world serpent), Fenrir (a giant wolf who is destined to eat the moon) [all three with a female Jötun named Angrboda], Narfi and Vali (two otherwise humanoid beings) [both with Sigyn, a fellow Asgardian goddess] and Sleipnir, the eight-legged horse of Odin and he got that one through mating with Svathlifari, a stallion. Yes, you read that right, a stallion fucked Loki while he was in the form of a mare, got pregnant and birthed an eight-legged horse, as an undisclosed part of an attempt to cheat the builder of Valhalla's walls out of his wage.
Also Odin himself makes mention that Loki once served 8 years in the disguise of a human woman who milked cows and bore children, in an otherwise undisclosed story. So, yeah... Loki isn't bisexual. Loki is flat out pansexual and fucks everything and fucks as everything s/he feels like. Though it's somewhat up to debate if s/he gave itself to the stallion willingly or just was too slow to escape the mighty stallion that mounted the father of the serpent that mounts the world... :lol:
I wonder if that is what they had in mind when Loki says 'a bit of both,' suggesting its more complicated.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

phantom000 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:27 pm https://www.cbsnews.com/news/loki-bisexual-mcu-show/

I will admit I had mixed feelings about this, but I will say this was handled very well. I think you should never retcon a character's sexuality or gender but given that we never really saw much of Loki's character, its not really a retcon because its not as if it would not fit with what we have seen. Also, he doesn't just come out and say he is bisexual, his answer is kind of ambiguous which is what we would expect from his character.

So I think this is a good example of how to work stuff like this into the story without ruining the narrative or the character.
Well, given the fact they've been able to assume both male and female forms since the ORIGINAL MYTHS AND has been genderfluid in the comics for a while now, this doesn't seem too far-fetched.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I don't think it can be described as ambiguous. What he said was pretty explicit. All it could have meant was "both" kings and queens that he had had relationships with.
..What mirror universe?
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:37 am I don't think it can be described as ambiguous. What he said was pretty explicit. All it could have meant was "both" kings and queens that he had had relationships with.
Well this is the MCU we are talking about. 'A bit of both' could describe a hermaphroditic alien, or some kind of shape shifter that can change back and forth whenever they want.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I don't believe it's open to a non-binary interpretation unfortunately.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I don't think the MCU Loki was ever protrayed showing any liking to one sex over the other. That I know of, I might be wrong.

Loki being bisexual doesn't really change who he was in the movies or change how he is in the show.

Unless they make it a big deal and center the show about that. Which would be unfortunate.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah Loki is clearly aesexual and this show is bullshit.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

My knowledge base is mostly the Greek gods but I have to say that i'm not sure Ancient peoples even had a concept of straight and gay. Zeus and co fucked EVERYONE and they did so as men, women, children, animals and mythical creatures. There was even one god - Hermaphroditus - who as the name implies was half and half. The closest thing regarding homophobia I know of in Greece is that it was shameful to be the ''receiver''. Not because gay sex was bad but because this was an uber-patriarchal culture and it was seen as weak.
Again, this may not apply to the Norse gods, but nevertheless I think ascribing our views of sexuality on humans and gods that lived hundreds to thousands of years ago is just silly.