Star Trek Online

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BunBun299
Officer

Star Trek Online

Post by BunBun299 »

I figure we must have a few people around here who play this game, so I figured I'd start a thread about it.

I started playing STO back in September of 2016 when it came to Xbox One. And i fell in love quite quickly. It filled a long standing craving of mine for a good Star Trek game. There's an obvious love for the source material on display. They really seem commited to doing things with plot points the show raised and had no idea what to do with. The space combat is excellent, though the ground combat is merely serviceable. Feel like something from a couple generations ago. Still, it feels like Trek where the guns work.
FaxModem1
Captain

Re: Star Trek Online

Post by FaxModem1 »

I rather like it. I play it daily. I'm one of those odd people who actually made a backstory for all of my characters.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

FaxModem1 wrote:I rather like it. I play it daily. I'm one of those odd people who actually made a backstory for all of my characters.
I did so for most of mine. Kinda bare bones in most cases. For my main, I made up backstories for my Captain and her three primary sidekicks, a human science officer, borg engineer and android tactical officer. One detail about them is that their equivalent of the poker games is they get together after hours for table top RPGs. The android usually acting at the GM, since she can do voices perfectly.
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

I've been playing the PC version since right before it went Free To Play (like a week, some free Alienware thingy).

I have 13 characters now, each with multiple ships, all the event ships they've ever had, nearly all the reps (minus the newest one), most of the Admiralty and Doff stuff. I also beat all the missions using a Miranda on a fresh toon (AKA, first run of every mission was in the Miranda). I kind of know the game well. It also means I've seen most (not all) of the early versions of the missions you guys on the consoles have been playing. No matter how bad you think they might be, they were far, FAR worse once upon a time.

They have made a lot of strides forward since 2011 (when I started), mostly thanks to Perfect World actually giving Cryptic money (Atari didn't do so). It's vastly improved for the most part, and while there are still some quirks here and there (ground combat is still pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as it was) I have enjoyed my time with it. Just wish I had more time, but my work schedule sucks donkey balls.

As for my characters, they all have an intertwining storyline that basically allows all of them to exist in game, each getting a few missions and queues to play with. The newer characters have less to do, of course, but it's getting there.
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

I tried to play it but it won't run on this computer.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

Really? What are you using?
Anduinel
Redshirt

Post by Anduinel »

Arkle wrote:I tried to play it but it won't run on this computer.
It'll run on my PC, but something about the movement of the ships and characters made me motion sick in a way LOTRO, Silk Road, etc. didn't. Very odd. I might try it again if I ever get an X-Box One.
SiskosMuthaFknPmphnd
Redshirt

Post by SiskosMuthaFknPmphnd »

Anduinel wrote:
Arkle wrote:I tried to play it but it won't run on this computer.
It'll run on my PC, but something about the movement of the ships and characters made me motion sick in a way LOTRO, Silk Road, etc. didn't. Very odd. I might try it again if I ever get an X-Box One.
Usually it's the Field of View that does that to me. Not sure if there's a way to change it in this game. Haven't played in months. Might be worth asking on the STO reddit page. They're generally helpful and knowledgeable there. And it's usually less of a sewer than the STO official forum.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, did anyone pick up on the 'subtle' allegory of the latest mission, "Smoke and Mirrors"?
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

Subtle, yeah, that's a word you could use.