Controversial fandom opinions?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Controversial fandom opinions?

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, here's mine right off the bat. I prefer Carson Beckett's death to Janet Fraiser's. I know she was established longer on SG-1 and had greater buildup, but Carson's death and final scene just speaks more to me, especially how his clone handles his reaction. It really works, imo.

But what's yours?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Controversial fandom opinions?

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:35 pm Well, here's mine right off the bat. I prefer Carson Beckett's death to Janet Fraiser's. I know she was established longer on SG-1 and had greater buildup, but Carson's death and final scene just speaks more to me, especially how his clone handles his reaction. It really works, imo.
I liked both characters, and their loss was felt strongly in their shows.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That I can agree with on. Wasn't happy to lose either one of them, but it was a good story decision, imo.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
bull705
Redshirt

Post by bull705 »

I have no opinion on "Tuvix". He never felt like a real character as more seemed like a plot device.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Offhand?

It's semi controversial. Alot of fans of Game of Thrones feel that Dani got the bad deal of the series by going the way she did.

Now ignoring the creators of the show decided to shove at least three seasons worth of storyline into six episodes in that final season. Dani's arc was always meant to be where she goes insane or power hungry by the end. There were always hints in the series and books.

I would say it's 50/50 controversial.

Or that I didn't mind the episode in the final season where it was so dark you had trouble seeing what was going on.
I got nothing to say here.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I like DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

Most Bond fans hate it because it's more comedic and perceive it as a slap in the face because it's not a direct sequel to ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE. I just treat it as another Bond film and enjoy it for what it is rather that gripe about what it isn't.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I want to add saying "I like PICARD and DISCO" is also something that's legit to add here. Perhaps too easy, but legit. Never went to see Force Awakens, that's one I have that I think may set me apart from most everyone on this forum, though. :lol:
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:17 am I like PICARD and DISCO
You know, you're not so bad after all.

I no longer hate you.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Hey, people who love those, be free! Be happy. If they love 'em, I think that's good. Me, all that's happened with those shows it has had me reexamine past shows to see, yeah, Star Trek NEVER had a perfect continuity. Not the way I thought. And Star Trek has always had issues before, most definitely. I'll be big enough to admit that.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Perhaps that's my new controversial opinion. While I can still perhaps like the old shows, I've defected to the Stargate fandom. Boo-yah. Deal with it. :lol: